Society/Culture She-ra 2018 vs 1980s and what it tells us about western civilisation

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
ok Im sure we have all caught up with this now after the first series was released just under a week ago. Have not seen a reboot more representative of the modern culture war then this and I cant decide if its a good or bad thing. Can anyone help?

In the orginal all the female characters were sexy and had the exact same body shape. In the new version a number of the female characters are ugly whilst others are plain fat. And the fat characters arent the same type of fat but there are different types. There is the conventional fat with big tummy and boobs and neck and then there is pear shaped fat as well with skinny top half but wide bottom. Some would argue that this is not fitting of the war zone period the show is set in with all its poverty but most of the fat characters are princesses taking advantage of the common folk so I have no problem with it. One of the reason all the characters in the original were the same shape was to make it easy to make toys so I guess its good that the modern show isnt so focussed on commercial side products. Some have argued she-ra looks like a boy and not her sexy orginal version but this is only true in She-ra form. In her Adora form she still looks pretty hot and has more spunk.

The second big change is the treatment of red heads. The orginal tried to celebrate red heads but this version has gotton rid of them in attempt to promote other diversities. Bow has gone from red head to african. Sea Hawk has gone from leading man red head to comical and slightly racist italian. Its weird that in an attempt to promote some minorities they have dismissed others and probably dont even realise it.

This version of She-ra is not able to accept help from alpha males. In the original She-ra was shown the way to unleash her power by He-man. He-man doesnt exist in this new version. My 4 year old daughter kept asking where is He-man. And that is what we all should be wondering in todays world. Where is He-man. Some one who has no problem throwing his fist through the fourth wall. They clearly cant have an alpha male good guy to help her in this show. Sea Hawk was also She-ras love interest playing the typical alpha male in the original. Now he is a comic relief non alpha character who is into one of the other princesses. That other princess tries to pretend she is not into him. Apparently its wrong for females in this new show to like men and need to be ashamed about it. She-ra has so far been asexual but clearly there is a thing brewing with her female rival Katra. Katra and Scorpio are clearly lesbians. Their partnership at the ball could not be more obvious without them pashing.

The story and character development is light years ahead of the original. The emotional force is pretty powerful at times too. A sign of greater intelligence in modern society compared to the 80s or just a sign that netflix didnt exist in the 80s?

No female characters show skin. The only character that shows skin is Bow who constantly walks around with his belly button for all too see. He changes clothes regularly but the belly button is always on show. Not once for a female character though.

They have still kept the concept of princesses in the story line. In fact its surprisingly become even more prominent. Is this a sign we are embracing authoritarianism once again?

They clearly have a problem with using animals in subservice. Swiftwind is still in the show but he has hardly been ridden by She-ra at all and clearly he is focussed on fighting animal persecution. Swiftwind is perhaps the most alpha male in the show. I suppose being alpha is still ok as long as you are a horse. Horduk is also pretty alpha. He acted a bit fruity in the original but clearly they cant have that for their main bad guy in the new version. He now seems really cool. Is it wrong that I think the coolest character is the main villian? Or is this just a sign of alpha male inclusiveness?

All in all its a great show. Far better then the original. But is it a sign of societies regression or our elevation?

Last edited:
I haven't seen the new show and forget most of the characters when I saw it as a kid

But kudus for your observations and thoughts.

It looks like McDonald's and the Democrats have provided funding for this show. Im surprised he man isn't non binary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back