Roast s**t midfield is s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

I see we've given Thompson another contract.

I said this back in May.

Did anyone else the other night feel like Billy Beane in those opening few minutes of Moneyball when the As go out in yet another playoff series, he destroys his radio, and then starts thinking about the fact his club is a farm system for the rest of the competition.

This weekend we have Dangerfield, Tippett and Davis all lining up in preliminary finals for other clubs. One will be a premiership player in a fortnight. Jack Gunston is a three-time premiership player.

We're the Oakland As.

And we still can't make a tough call.

Remember the days when coaches put black marks against the names of players who didn't perform in finals? They were put on notice. If it became a pattern, they were eventually turfed.

We give those players four and five-year contracts.

And Thommo is pretty good at manipulation. At every opportunity he reminded everyone he wanted to go on. Even the week he's being forced to rest he's saying he wants to play on. Then despite clearly struggling to run throughout the last third of the season, he takes every opportunity to remind everyone that he wants to go on. So not only does the club need to deal with a difficult internal decision, they would also need to publicly embarrass Thommo by delisting him. Thommo leveraged his understsnding of our weakness beautifully. To the point that like a naughty child it's going on record that this is his last year. No more manipulation, you've got your year, but you won't be getting another. If you want to try this again next year, then you'll be getting delisted.

We seem to have lost in Fages and Roo we trust mantra. Need another major change this year to the midfield coaching area. Bring some freshness in. Someone that has balls at selection.

Notable changes/freshness needs to occur each and every year to achieve any kind of success in the AFL.

We're probably actively training the innate mongrel out of the Crouch brothers. It's like Neil Craig is still with us.
Only have to look at the regression of Tex.
Last year when Bernie did that number on Danger. I didn't see that at Adelaide.
Your exactly right with the Crouches and probably Charlie is next.
What a farce when we want the likes of JJ to get some mongrel.

There is one person who has the ultimate say at selection

That's not right. Straight from 2 coaches who laughed at Robbo for having that view on 360. You are wrong and clearly refuse to accept that selection is run by a committee based on consensus, not with a single coach overruling the group. Those days are gone, Pyke is a leader not an autocrat.

That's not right. Straight from 2 coaches who laughed at Robbo for having that view on 360. You are wrong and clearly refuse to accept that selection is run by a committee based on consensus, not with a single coach overruling the group. Those days are gone, Pyke is a leader not an autocrat.

Mate if you dont think the head coach has the final say, you are kidding yourself, if Clarke or whoever wants Seedsman in the team but Pyke thinks say Hampton is the better option we both know the outcome. The team more or less picks itself with the first 18 but the coach will make the final say on the recommendation of the final 4 by the committee. Some coaches say like Chocco would have been may be more dominant on what he believes, Pyke maybe empowering but he may be a control freak also. After all the coach is the one ultimatly responsible and should get the final say. As does fagan on operational issues

Mate if you dont think the head coach has the final say, you are kidding yourself, if Clarke or whoever wants Seedsman in the team but Pyke thinks say Hampton is the better option we both know the outcome. The team more or less picks itself with the first 18 but the coach will make the final say on the recommendation of the final 4 by the committee. Some coaches say like Chocco would have been may be more dominant on what he believes, Pyke maybe empowering but he may be a control freak also. After all the coach is the one ultimatly responsible and should get the final say. As does fagan on operational issues
Yep, head coach has accountability this why their head is always first on the chopping block. Would be a crazy situation to not have the mandate to make the final decision yet you are the one accountable for it!

I'm not even going to bother reading your juvenile view on management. Chris Scott and Nathan Buckley both stated that they gave gone into selection with a strong view on a player coming in or going out but come out of the meeting without it happening. They scoffed at Robbo for suggesting what you state is the case. It was blatantly obvious to anyone with any understandng before it was confirmed by actual AFL coaches.

It doesn't surprise me that you continue to believe that you're right despite contrary evidence from coaches. It's your personality type and whilst being a positive in some circumstances, it's a significant flaw when it comes to accepting evidence contrary to a belief.

Yep, head coach has accountability this why their head is always first on the chopping block. Would be a crazy situation to not have the mandate to make the final decision yet you are the one accountable for it!
A head coach isn't going to constantly override his assistants though. If an assistant says "I really think we should have Thommo in over Lyons" then a head coach is going to trust that guy that he knows the best men to have his area of the ground working at peak efficiency.

The problem seems to be that because Pyke is such a firm believer in consistency of the 22 that even if we have a few duds he doesn't seem particularly keen to force a change on a part of the field because he wants the same 22 on the park each week and he got so far down the road with a few blokes he just kept on keeping on with them.

I'm not even going to bother reading your juvenile view on management. Chris Scott and Nathan Buckley both stated that they gave gone into selection with a strong view on a player coming in or going out but come out of the meeting without it happening. They scoffed at Robbo for suggesting what you state is the case. It was blatantly obvious to anyone with any understandng before it was confirmed by actual AFL coaches.

It doesn't surprise me that you continue to believe that you're right despite contrary evidence from coaches. It's your personality type and whilst being a positive in some circumstances, it's a significant flaw when it comes to accepting evidence contrary to a belief.

You amaze me

You even said Scott and Buckley go in with their own views, its whether or not the match comittee can change or persuade their ideas, but as I said its not the committes final decision. The coach will and should have the final say, too think otherwise and call me juvenille is ridiculous for saying it how it is.

If the committee wanted to play Menzel all year but Pyke didnt think he was ready then that is the way we go. Maybe the committee persuaded Pyke to persist with Mackay, maybe the committee wanted Mackay dropped but pyke saw something in him. Get the drift its the coaches final decision. It all comes down to the personality of the coach and how he accepts others opinions, which is why I brought up Chocco and his dogmatic style.

A head coach isn't going to constantly override his assistants though. If an assistant says "I really think we should have Thommo in over Lyons" then a head coach is going to trust that guy that he knows the best men to have his area of the ground working at peak efficiency.

The problem seems to be that because Pyke is such a firm believer in consistency of the 22 that even if we have a few duds he doesn't seem particularly keen to force a change on a part of the field because he wants the same 22 on the park each week and he got so far down the road with a few blokes he just kept on keeping on with them.

We actually dont know if it was Pyke or the committee who made those calls , thats just taking a punt

As I said the first 18 more or less pick themselves its only the last 4 that Im sure there is debate over but who gets the final tick off?

We actually dont know if it was Pyke or the committee who made those calls , thats just taking a punt

As I said the first 18 more or less pick themselves its only the last 4 that Im sure there is debate over but who gets the final tick off?

The first 18 picking itself was half our issue this season as well.

Those 18 needed to be discussed because some of them were bloody injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first 18 picking itself was half our issue this season as well.

Those 18 needed to be discussed because some of them were bloody injured.

All teams play with injured players, but thats AFL footy unfortunatly playiong an injured, Jenkins, Sloane, Tahlia will be better than bringing in a young untried. Port brought in a lot this year of teh young ones and it blew their season apart, I actually thought it a bad move dropping lobbe when they did for Howard, he provided nothing

All teams play with injured players, but thats AFL footy unfortunatly playiong an injured, Jenkins, Sloane, Tahlia will be better than bringing in a young untried. Port brought in a lot this year of teh young ones and it blew their season apart, I actually thought it a bad move dropping lobbe when they did for Howard, he provided nothing

Jesus Marty, you have so many flawed opinions that you must be applying for a seat at our list selection meeting.

We are too bruise free. It all very well getting there in the minor round with the fast rebounding style but as soon as the heat steps up and the game style changes for September we are left floundering and chasing tail. We need to adopt a game plan closer to WB or Sydney. If that means adding another mid rotation to our 22 at the behest of one of our forwards then so be it. Rather play finals style game during the year and win by 2 or 3 goals than load up the forward line and downhill ski all over the teams below us.

It's got nothing to do with bruise free. They play plenty of bruise football against everyone else, they simply don't have the talent to match the best midfields playing in form, bruises or not. Neither gameplan nor switching from one workman in the AFL to another in the SANFL is going to change that.

It's got nothing to do with bruise free. They play plenty of bruise football against everyone else, they simply don't have the talent to match the best midfields playing in form, bruises or not. Neither gameplan nor switching from one workman in the AFL to another in the SANFL is going to change that.
Fair point.

With all due respect I didn't respond to you as I feared it would explode into 20 pages of your dogmatic preaching about how selection committees work. Repeated over and over :)

Thats up to you and your decision if you want to, if you hadnt realised by now I dont care if you do or dont respond

But you did respond so are you a hypocrite?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back