Should we change Australia Day from the 26th?

Should Australia Day be changed from the 26th to something else?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why associate the date with the first Australians? I don’t give a s**t what day it happens to be but that’s an equally irrelevant question.
Well the date is significant to them as it was when the s**t hit the fan eg land dispossession, massacres, rapes ect. Then they had christianity forced upon . Even if some of the bible bashers had good intentions ,it wasn't all beer and skittles.So that's why they don't like the date of 26th , and why they don't like Captain Cook.

Clearly you give a s**t otherwise you wouldn’t bring it up.
Obviously you're not overly familiar with my posting.
Shitfighting over petty bullshit I couldn't care less about makes up the bulk of it.

But I REALLY dont give a rats arse about this.
Change it, don't change it- whatever.

Zero shits given

Well the date is significant to them as it was when the s**t hit the fan eg land dispossession, massacres, rapes ect. Then they had christianity forced upon . Even if some of the bible bashers had good intentions ,it wasn't all beer and skittles.So that's why they don't like the date of 26th , and why they don't like Captain Cook.

You're very selective as there are many who are happy with the 26th and many who call themselves christian

You're aware this was before the Napoleonic wars yeah?
Almost every country on earth has been invaded since then.

What about those that are happy with the 26 and yes they exist
Why do give a s**t if it's on the 26th? It's a day to have a day off and be Australian and have bbq in summer,I don't see many pictures of Captain Cook anywhere or a Captain Cook fan club anywhere.I'd prefer it anywhere between Feb 1st to 4th.

You're very selective as there are many who are happy with the 26th and many who call themselves christian
Yes they call themselves christian but are not necessarily christian people.

I was talking about Indigenous who identify as Christian and Indigenous either Christian or not who want to keep the 26th

Why the arrogance in assuming you know what all Indigenous want and why the dictatorial mentality who thinks you know best.

You resemble the white man colonialist who wants to foist his views on everyone else

Last edited:
I was talking about Indigenous who identify as Christian and Indigenous either Christian or not who want to keep the 26th

Why the arrogance in assuming you know what all Indigenous want and why the dictatorial mentality who thinks you know best.

You resemble the white man colonialist who wants to foist his views on everyone else
How many Christian aboriginals want to keep the date?

How many Christian aboriginals want to keep the date?

As I previously said there are Indigenous who are not Christian who also want to keep the date.

BTW it shouldn't matter how many because you have already stated you don't care about the majority views and even mocked democracy

Whiners and Losers
Oh Masher , you are such an erudite fellow.You are part of the old conservative world, you need to get with the times and stop being an old codger who whinges all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Eureka rebellion was on Dec 3rd, but maybe just call it Eureka day and have in early feb

Alot of people who call them self indigenous who are not necessarily indegenous people. #ohnohedidnt

Alot of people who call them self indigenous who are not necessarily indegenous people. #ohnohedidnt
Nice pot shot Harry, why dont you go back from where you came from, 101 Bolt Road, Loserville

According to a December survey by Australian think tank Research Now, 56 per cent of Australians don't care when Australia Day is held, and 70 per cent would prefer a date not associated with the First Fleet.No other British colony has it's national day on the day of invasion.

If it makes people happy to change the date, then change it. It doesn't really matter.

^^This. It's a pretty arbitrary date on the overall timeline. Australia was here before Cook landed (and the Dutch arrived before that anyway), and it wasn't actually even a country until January 1st 1901. We don't actually have a single nation defining day (except perhaps ANZAC Day which is separate), so being overly attached to the date that Australia Day falls is pretty dumb.

The big deal is we live in a democracy, and allowing 2% of the population to dictate morality to the other 98% is an extraordinarily shitty & very likely unsustainable way to run one.

And that argument makes perfect sense from a legislative perspective, but from the perspective of a national celebration, the aim should be for 100%.

There's a clear reason why it's an issue for 2% of the population, yet I would guess that 2% is still larger than the number that are descended from the First Fleet (the only people with any real reason to object to a date change) anyway. To everyone else there's no genuine connection to the date, we're not the Yanks who mark the day our country shed it's colonial overlords, because we still haven't really done that.

Australia Day isn't even that special a day, ANZAC Day is the one we revere, no one gets together on Australia Day and says "let's all toast to the Poms needing a place to dump their 'human garbage' and choosing a pretty nice spot for it." :drunk: Because that's not what the day is about.

If you want democracy, run a poll on what the best/most important part of Australia Day is, the landslide winner would be 'public holiday', which is the greatest indicator that the date is unimportant overall.

Either way, it's going to change eventually, so if you want to the old man yelling at the cloud until then, so be it. :rainbow:

Who gives a s**t.

Do you know what actually affects Aboriginals ?
******* Diphtheria thats what, and Leprosy, cataract blindness, generational chronic alcoholism etc etc etc.

What happened 200+ years ago doesn't.

However neither does it matter if we celebrate Australia day on the 28th or any other day.
This bullshit and whether Tarquin and Sebastian can bum each other in holy matrimony should NOT be the pressing political issues.

Federal politicians love issues like Australia Day and gay marriage, they take up all the discussion, so instead of actually governing, they can throw the odd barb at the other side whilst they focus on knifing each other. :$

Back