News Simonds Stadium Stage 1 Redevelopment - Reg Hickey Stand and new gates

Remove this Banner Ad

Go the cats

Let's hope the PAFC has another September choke next Sunday. I can guarantee you that the majority of Crows supporters will be right behind you.

Jim Boy said:
but I don't really mind if it gets named after people who work hard for the club, but don't get onfield adulation.

Name it after the rotund bootstudder with the Hocking hair and goatee. :D

Bloke cops plenty about his appearance, yet still continues to work his arse off for the club.

The heart and soul of the club.

Does anyone reckon we might get a corporate to have the naming rights of the stand? That would help generate a bit of money back into the coffers.

Then, to pay homage to a great, just name the wing after them… Bob Davis Wing, Gary Ablett Wing… etc.

What do we think?

Read a little bit in the Herald Sun over the weekend about the naming of the new stand.

I think it was Scotty Palmer that suggested it be named the Frank Costa stand.

Any thought on what it should be?

Gary Ablett?
Bob Davis?
Polly Farmer?

It's already been covered a bit in this topic http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129371. My own suggestion was the cook-costa stand. Two blokes who have put in a tremendous amount of hard work and without whom, there would be every real chance that none of us would be supporting Geelong today. Players and coaches get their shot at honour through player awards, premiership medallions etc and are widely recognised and adored, administrators get no such luck (unless you're Charles Brownlow).

A left field suggestion is the 'T.W.Wills' stand. The founder of football, the founder of Geelong, the first captain and regular champion of the colony. Naming the stand thus strikes a claim to the very heart and origins of football and proclaims that Geelong is not just a player in the competition, but that it represents the heart and soul of football.

Jim Boy said:
My own suggestion was the cook-costa stand....

I think they have done a great job but I dont think so.It probably would be unlike Costa to have something named after himself while hes in charge. Cook also has a big history at other clubs so, is his link to Geelong something that outshines his other efforts?

Jim Boy said:
A left field suggestion is the 'T.W.Wills' stand. The founder of football, the founder of Geelong, the first captain and regular champion of the colony. Naming the stand thus strikes a claim to the very heart and origins of football and proclaims that Geelong is not just a player in the competition, but that it represents the heart and soul of football.

Have to say I like this.People will ask who he was, why its named etc.WE and Melbourne basically invented the game, we(GFC) and Wills should get more cred.
I also think sombody like Bob Davis who has been such a face for the club should have some recognition.

Having said that I dont think it will happen. When watching Geelong playing at Telstra Dome or at home at Skilled Stad. that used to be Baytech, that used to be Skilled, while having Ford all over the Hoops, sort of says something about names.
I tend to think it might be something like the JetStar Pavilion.
Just cant see the club passing up the chance to earn $$$$$$$$.Maybe a combo, the ***** Facilty but having the people sit in the JetStar Stand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was phoned up by the club and told if we wanted to move from our existing seats to the new stand it would cost $700.00. A bit rich.
They would want to be putting on a strip show at half time for that money.
If this is true how about calling it the Empty Stand.

Jack-Packenham said:
Was phoned up by the club and told if we wanted to move from our existing seats to the new stand it would cost $700.00. A bit rich.
They would want to be putting on a strip show at half time for that money.
If this is true how about calling it the Empty Stand.

For 8 games that does seem expensive.

Read today that the name isn't the club's decision. The council owns the stand and owns the naming rights, while the football club can only recommend or suggest a name. Given that ultimately it's the council's choice, they probably won't go for a footballer who has done little for Geelong outside of footy, which rules out players like Hocking and Ablett (unless you count picking up garbage cans and community service). This firms the likelihood that it will be named after Costa. It's not his choice so he can't be accussed of self-aggrandisement, and iirc he (or at least his family) have at times been generous benefactors to the community outside of football.

Has anyone been affected by them? I know that some people may be losing their current spot because of teh new stand etc.

I haven't quite thought of a name just yet but in my opinion I believe that the name should not be dedicated to just one or a few players or even a number. I know this goes against tradition and the norm but I'm just suggesting that the name of the stand should reflect what it means to be Geelong.

I think we should dedicate part of the stand to the "almost" premiership teams that we have had. I know it sounds ridiculous since we should only ever honour club greats, legends etc... but think of what it would mean. As a supporter I am still hurt by how short we came of premiership glory in 89-95. I can only imagine what it would be like to be a member of one of those teams. If we could come up with a name that would honour these guys it would mean a lot and show that our path to the flag in 2005 and beyond includes the Geelong men who gave their hearts and souls to our club to win that elusive flag since our last one.

Why should legends or greats be determined by premiership wins only? The road getting there and the people who have contributed to our cause over the years should be honoured too... Any thoughts?

I totally disagree that the losing grand final sides should be honoured on part of the stand.

Of course making the GF is a fantastic effort but second best is never good enough and should never be accepted in any way!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back