News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

can someone who was at the game tell everyone who wasn't how the new big screen was?

As someone who has been critical , of not being able to probably see it. Iwas gale that I could infact see it although Id say the angle did make much less enjoyable I assume than if I was in the Brownlow

To all of us who sat in the Players Stand, what did you think of the view, facilities ect?

First thing loved my new seat - end of row, 4 rows from the front on the ground level with is a terrific view (loved being that little higher up from the ground, coming from someone who moved down from Ablett Terrace)

Seems like a good number of food and bar outlets and the photos at the back of the stand also look really good. Didn't get there until around 6.30pm so didn't really get a chance to have a proper look around, but will definitely do so next game vs Fremantle

Only minor issue for me was the stair cases between the bays seem a tad narrow which made getting out after the game a tad annoying but that doesn't really bother me

Good to hear you enjoyed it. In as far as a stand is built so more people to see football , the stand is a huge success . The view was good to great imo. Altough, if I had my time over im not sure I would have chosen the seats im in. Family thought we were too high.

But were things perfect. No. Some thing were bugs and will be worked on and fixed. Lights. for instance. Why did they keep going out all the time?
The sound was far too loud on the constant stream of adds. I struggled to hear the siren above the adds. It detracted from the experience.

Some things are probably designed in and will be part of the character, for good or bad , of the stand.
Eg. Toilets. To few. Women lining up is normal but not ideal. Why didn't they over supply this? The space to walk between seats is almost dangerous. I forecast an issue where someone loose balance and falls on someone beneath them. Some bloke beside me gave up on going in and out for beers and just stayed out.

the biggest thing for me was the sound that comes out of the new stand

the roar of the crowd is something you would only have heard at the 'G or Etihad previously, but to hear it at KP was awesome.

After having a hole there all last year, it was brilliant to see all the people and hear the huge sound

:thumbsu::D

The Geelong vs Gold Coast match on Saturday night was the first time Geelong had the highest attended match of the round played in Victoria (30,082) since Sunday April 21 1991 when 27,365 saw Geelong play Carlton at Kardinia Park.

Batween 1951 and 1991 Geelong hosted the highest attended match of the round in Victoria on 33 occasions: 12 times in the 1950s, 11 times in the 1960s, 3 times in the 1970s, 6 times in the 1980s and once in the 1990s.
  • Highest attendance at Kardinia Park since 32,808 - Geelong v Essendon round 21, 1993. (Also first over 30,000 since then.)
  • Highest attendance at Kardinia Park between Geelong and a non-Victorian club. Previous: 28,600 v Sydney round 17, 1995.
  • The 624th League premiership match played at Kardinia Park (all Geelong home matches) 1941, 1944-2013. Total attendances at Kardinia Park stand at 12,636,272 for an average of 20,250.
RogersResults

the biggest thing for me was the sound that comes out of the new stand

the roar of the crowd is something you would only have heard at the 'G or Etihad previously, but to hear it at KP was awesome.

After having a hole there all last year, it was brilliant to see all the people and hear the huge sound

:thumbsu::D

I'd agree with that... when Mots kicked that goal in the 3rd quarter after the suns had a run on and kicked 4 or 5 or was as louda roar add I had heard at KP before (during a game)

I reckon they had the audio on the ground mikes turned up for this game - I could hear the players calling out much more than I would normally notice. Channel 7 maybe wanted to amp the atmosphere up for the first night match there. I do think the roars seemed significantly louder than what you normally expect there (on the tv that is), so not sure how much of that was just due to the larger crowd or the higher audio.

Seems from those who were there that the roar is much bigger now. Can't wait to get down there for a game. \m/

I reckon they had the audio on the ground mikes turned up for this game - I could hear the players calling out much more than I would normally notice. Channel 7 maybe wanted to amp the atmosphere up for the first night match there. I do think the roars seemed significantly louder than what you normally expect there (on the tv that is), so not sure how much of that was just due to the larger crowd or the higher audio.

Seems from those who were there that the roar is much bigger now. Can't wait to get down there for a game. \m/

One thing l noticed at the game was during the 1st and 2nd quarter you could hear a pin drop when there was nothing happening during the play. Never heard a football game with 30k plus people like that. Maybe it was because it was very boring 1st half of footy.

I also heard the players and umps when l saw the replay and put it down to this.

Overall was very impressed how the ground has come along, it finally feels and looks like a stadium. Can`t wait for a cracking game like Cats vs Swans in rd 21.

so not sure how much of that was just due to the larger crowd or the higher audio.

Average attendance at Kardinia Park in the previous 10 seasons was 21,704 with only 5 attendances over 25,000 - the highest being 25,970 in round 7 2010.
The extra voices in a 30,082 crowd could make more noise.

Pity they didn't tell the buffoons in their box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ninty and others who struggled with the long queues, or the ticketing process:

Not on Twitter , how can I pass on info.

The need to be told to turn the volume of the adds down. Struth it was so loud that I struggled to talk to someone next to me. The siren even was not obvious.

Im not sure what they can do about the space between seats and an the lines for the toilets. I honestly do fear someone losing their balance and tumbling down on top of someone below them , especially if the lose balance with food or drinks in hand.

My final post with pics in this thread.

My view each and every home game at Kardinia Park aka Simonds Stadium-

20130601_192850_zps987a02c9.jpg

20130601_192903_zps368743ca.jpg

20130601_192905_zpscf1bc16a.jpg

Can someone point me in the direction of the Stage 4 and 5 Redevelopment thread? Thought I had seen one but can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Just after what peoples thoughts are on our new stand, the good and the bad.

I sat there twice and have spoken to other supporters, here are some general opinions.

- The major problem with the stand is that it has no back to it, the cold winter winds from the south funnel straight into the backs of people in the back rows, your seats might be undercover but it gets absolutely freezing.
- The displays down the back are quite good, but it will be important to keep them up to date (eg change them when players come and go from the club).
- The toilets seem to be sufficient, you still get queues at 1/4 time, but not as bad as it used to be.
- The Hoops Bar is a good enough replacement for the Lamby's Shed.
- The lifts are useless. The doors are ridiculously slow to close and open. It's doesn't seem to take many people to overload the lifts and you don't find that out until the doors shut and the lift won't move.
- Most seats have a good view except the top level has a similar problem as the Hickey Stand where if you are in the first couple of rows you will be watching the game throught the glass barrier. If your sitting near the exits the handrails can obstruct your view.
- There are not enough entry and exit stairways. The exits get very crowded after the game. It should be better considering that if an evacuation is needed jumping the fence onto the field would not be an option due to how high the fence is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back