Politics Simpsons Moments that match Australian/Worldwide Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

30MAR11SarahHansonYoung_800x600_t325.jpg

Is that little old Lisa Simpson? Springfield's answer to the question no one asked!

craig-thomson-listens-during-house-of-representatives-question--data.jpg
On parliamentary standards

FBI Agent: You'll be Homer ThompsonHomer: OkayFBI Agent: Hello Mister Thompson[Homer stares blankly]
FBI Agent: Remember now, your Homer Thompson.Homer: Got Ya.FBI Agent: Hello Mister Thompson.[Homer stares blankly agian]
FBI Agent: [After hours of trying to get through to Homer] Now when I say, "Hello Mister Thompson" and press down on your foot. You'll smile and nod. [Under the table he steps on Homer's foot several times] Hello Mister Thompson.[Homer looks blankly at his foot]Homer: [Leans over to the other agent] I think He's talking to you.

161839-peter-slipper.jpg
195280-james-ashby.jpg

Ashby: They are hanging on his every word, are you thinking what Im thinking??

Slipper : I hope so (puts hand on Ashby's hand)

Ashby: I thought I made myself clear in Canberra

4007348-16x9-512x288.jpg

Thomson: I was set up with hookers by someone trying to sabotage my political career slowly over the course of four years. Of course for this to work this person would have to tail me, subtly use my phone to call hookers, use my credit card, forge my signature and then hope that I wouldn't notice when I authorised the payments later.

Oakes: Mm hmm, well, that's... very good... for a first try. You know what? I have a ball. Perhaps you'd like to bounce it?

I've searched all around for it and can't find a pic but there's a scene in the 'I didn't do it episode' where Quimby's wife walks in on him during the act with a young blonde, and he point blank says, while lying on the bed, 'We, uh, didn't do it'. Room bursts into laughter.

You couldn't get a more appropriate scene for Thomson's current predicament.

Need a screenshot.

craig_emerson_Labor.jpg

On his geographic knowledge

Craig Emerson: "Marg, how can anyone miss Greece and Spain, all tucked away down there"

I've searched all around for it and can't find a pic but there's a scene in the 'I didn't do it episode' where Quimby's wife walks in on him during the act with a young blonde, and he point blank says, while lying on the bed, 'We, uh, didn't do it'. Room bursts into laughter.

You couldn't get a more appropriate scene for Thomson's current predicament.

Need a screenshot.

fg_285.jpg

mayoredtothemob2_thumb.png

"Thankyou for supporting my legal case, ALP, but in the future I would prefer a nondescript briefcase to the sack with a dollar sign on it".
yeah, there is heaps of Quimby in Thommo. Ya got respect the front of the man.- it's bigger than Myer, as the saying used to go.

Mate, I feel blessed, absolutely blessed, to have grown up with The Simpsons when it was at its peak.

Characters like Quimby, Krabaple, Krusty... They are more than mere characters, more than caricatures, they are comical but incredibly accurate depictions of (some of) the sorts of people who end up in the professions in which they work.

That's not to take away form the more caricature-based characters like Wiggum, Hutz, Burns, Moe, Apu, Skinner, etc. But there is a certain element of truth behind characters like Quimby which my generation, who grew up with the first 7-9 seasons of The Simpsons, will be forever affected by.

:thumbsu:

What a brilliant show The Simpsons was, back in its day. For another thread but the way they have trashed it for $$$ is still to this day one of the saddest things I have witnessed as far as pop culture goes.

:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you like Family Guy as well, FD? There's some pretty good stuff in that. Some of it is cleverer and some stupider - post modern and post- Simpson, I guess.

The interactions between the dog and Peter Griffith is enough for a doctoral thesis in itself. ( I wonder if I could get a grant)

Do you like Family Guy as well, FD? There's some pretty good stuff in that. Some of it is cleverer and some stupider - post modern and post- Simpson, I guess.

The interactions between the dog and Peter Griffith is enough for a doctoral thesis in itself. ( I wonder if I could get a grant)

Can I be perfectly honest? I have never gotten into it.

I tend to find there is a bit of a distinction (amongst people my age) between people who went South Park post-Simpsons (and by post-Simpsons I mean about the year 2000 when it was clear The Simpsons was never coming back) and those who went Family Guy. Plenty of crossover but also plenty of people who went one way.

I've spoken before about 'South Park Libertarians'. There is right now a whole bunch of young adults coming through who have grown up watching and laughing with a show in which one of the major recurring themes is the idiocy of state intervention and the idiocy of people who seek it.

I guess I must confess that my hopes for these SPLs coming through being part of an anti-nanny state reaction against the current direction of government has taken a hit just recently. I caught up with a good mate of mine, also a big fan of South Park growing up, the other day and one way or another we found ourselves talking about drug policy in this country. To my chagrin, he still believes that 'drugs are bad' and they are better off illegal and controlled by the criminal gangs than legalised and regulated. Not for any reason, just 'thats the way it should be'.

I guess Parker and Stone can lead horses to water but, ultimately, you can't make them think.

Yeah, South Park did a lot for reigniting libertarianism in a new generation. A lot of it was always going to come from pushing back against nanny-statism as a natural course of things I suppose. South Parks biggest strength in my opinion was it's willingness to point and laugh nearly every type of political correctness. To someone who always made a hobby of pointing and laughing at lefties I particularly love the San francisco smug episode.

The internet's probably been a bigger influence - 4 chan, memes and all that. Everyone has a voice now.

I guess Parker and Stone can lead horses to water but, ultimately, you can't make them think.
I wouldn't give up hope yet. Trolling, FTW!

Yeah, South Park did a lot for reigniting libertarianism in a new generation. A lot of it was always going to come from pushing back against nanny-statism as a natural course of things I suppose. South Parks biggest strength in my opinion was it's willingness to point and laugh nearly every type of political correctness. To someone who always made a hobby of pointing and laughing at lefties I particularly love the San francisco smug episode.

Yeah, their ability to criticise all forms of hypocrisy and sillyness is a breath of fresh air on TV. I know people who don't like them because they think they 'sit on the fence' rather than 'join sides' but to me, there's a lot to be said for taking a step back and pointing out the hypocrisy of busy-bodies and self-righteous fools from all sides.

You're a fan of 'Yes, Minister' aren't you Evo? I think you've posted clips from it around here in the past. What FD was saying about The Simpsons accurate descriptions of certain types of people (especially those with power) remind me of YM. I'm watching it at the moment and the amount of times I think 'That is politics in a nutshell' is ridiculous.
Maybe I could accept it a little easier if our 'power seekers' were as droll as Sir Humphrey...

I caught up with a good mate of mine, also a big fan of South Park growing up, the other day and one way or another we found ourselves talking about drug policy in this country. To my chagrin, he still believes that 'drugs are bad' and they are better off illegal and controlled by the criminal gangs than legalised and regulated. Not for any reason, just 'thats the way it should be'.

Interesting...
I have to agree with him on that subject, but thats another debate all together.
Its a bit like an argument i had with a mate recently about our Constitutional Monarchy.
For some reason, he still believes in our outdated system.
I got the usual excuse, "if it aint broke dont fix it". Again, a subject that requires further discussion

Interesting...
I have to agree with him on that subject, but thats another debate all together.
Its a bit like an argument i had with a mate recently about our Constitutional Monarchy.
For some reason, he still believes in our outdated system.
I got the usual excuse, "if it aint broke dont fix it". Again, a subject that requires further discussion

When it comes to systems of government, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' seems appropriate to me.

Anybody trying to tell you that our current approach to drugs isn't broke, though, is telling you porky pies.

You are right, though. You should start a thread on these things. Or just bump one of the dozens we have already.

:thumbsu:

Can't say I'm a huge Family Guy fan, or ever was, but I sure as hell can't watch it in the same light as before after the South Park "Cartoon Wars" episode. Hit the nail fair on the head there.

Love how political SP is - and how they openly take the piss out of everyone. Very clever writers Parker & Stone, but most people do just see the dick jokes.

The internet's probably been a bigger influence - 4 chan, memes and all that. Everyone has a voice now.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Trolling, FTW!
trolling-is-a-art.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back