Opinion Six $1m players in the AFL in 2019 - GWS with potentially 3 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont think anyone is saying GWS are over their cap. Just that there is most likely some ambassador money going around outside of the cap. Seems pretty plausible to me given the way the AFL generally operates, the opaqueness around ambassador payments, and the vested interests at stake.

It Would be fairly easy for a journalist to find out what kind of coin each player would be on.

If the Ginats were truly over or close to exceeding the Salary Cap, some meddling journalist would have broken the story .

Also I fail to see the 'AFL Ambassador money is any different to any other third party deals, like Shiel getting a mint 'working' for a multi millionaire dollar Essendon coterie real estate member or Dangerfield's outrageous million dollar deal with 'Cotton On' .

This thread strikes me as nothing more but a massive sour grapes and bitter envy/jealousy rant fest.

No it's not 'easy' - sorry to repeat my earlier post, but all players contracts are strictly commercial in-confidence agreements known to only a few organisations and individuals.
I understand why most choose to ignore this 'fact' as it simply defeats the narratives of such discussions - but in saying that I also suspect a few posters on these threads may have a better educated guess or related knowledge of a specific players income than most journalists, who are purely speculating and/or often tend to overstate perceived players incomes...

It Would be fairly easy for a journalist to find out what kind of coin each player would be on.

If the Ginats were truly over or close to exceeding the Salary Cap, some meddling journalist would have broken the story .

Also I fail to see the 'AFL Ambassador money is any different to any other third party deals, like Shiel getting a mint 'working' for a multi millionaire dollar Essendon coterie real estate member or Dangerfield's outrageous million dollar deal with 'Cotton On' .

This thread strikes me as nothing more but a massive sour grapes and bitter envy/jealousy rant fest.
Really?
Various reports on Toby Greene alone range from 750k/year - more than a million per year.

Journalists don't seem to be able to agree.

Agree on your second point there.

its good to see a few giants fans here, didn't know there were any on bf

however they seem way too salty over the fact that their a graders are on top money

they deserve that money so not sure where the angst is

Cogs, Cameron and Whitfield all deserve the mil they are on

Kelly and Greene also deserve that amount but are probably just under it

Taranto will deserve that amount also

they will keep paying their a graders top money and letting their depth go to accommodate
There’s no arguments that any of the players don’t deserve what there getting there all stars that deserve 1 million a season the problem people have is they have 6-7 players in that range where most clubs might have 1 or 2 and the fact those players are taking 50% of the cap try and fit the other 30 players in the other half that’s when alarm bells ring

There’s no arguments that any of the players don’t deserve what there getting there all stars that deserve 1 million a season the problem people have is they have 6-7 players in that range where most clubs might have 1 or 2 and the fact those players are taking 50% of the cap try and fit the other 30 players in the other half that’s when alarm bells ring
Keep on making up figures to suit your outrage.

How are you so certain of all those numbers?

How are you so certain of all those numbers?
Come on mate, it's no stretch of the imagination to think they're all at least 850k+. That's in the realm of a million and all adds up pretty quick. You really think they'd stay for less than that? Getting paid less than what they would elsewhere is one thing, but they're still not staying for peanuts. You think Whitfield, for example, is going to lock himself into 7 years for only ~700k? Plenty of players stay for the love of the club, but they generally still get paid at least close to what they're worth.

Would you stay at your job if someone offered you close to double your salary to leave ?

Depends on context. I would - but I'm not an AFL player mate.

If Coniglio had lots of friends and a network for him and his family at GWS and St Kilda offered him an extra 100k to uproot, he might decide it's not worth it especially for a team not in flag contention any time soon. Do you think Gary Ablett moved back to Geelong for extra money compared to Gold Coast? Players move all the time for non-money reasons.

Come on mate, it's no stretch of the imagination to think they're all at least 850k+. That's in the realm of a million and all adds up pretty quick. You really think they'd stay for less than that? Getting paid less than what they would elsewhere is one thing, but they're still not staying for peanuts. You think Whitfield, for example, is going to lock himself into 7 years for only ~700k? Plenty of players stay for the love of the club, but they generally still get paid at least close to what they're worth.

The essence of your argument is there's salary cap cheating going on - surely there's no way all those top players can be retained! Fine if you think that but it's absolutely hopeless to try and change your view on that because none of us have access to the actual numbers. There are plenty of examples in the NFL, NBA and even the AFL itself of players taking cuts to stay together in a salary cap competition but apparently it's not possible for GWS?

The essence of your argument is there's salary cap cheating going on - surely there's no way all those top players can be retained! Fine if you think that but it's absolutely hopeless to try and change your view on that because none of us have access to the actual numbers. There are plenty of examples in the NFL, NBA and even the AFL itself of players taking cuts to stay together in a salary cap competition but apparently it's not possible for GWS?
That's not the essence of my argument at all. I was responding to your comment about the figures. You're making an assumption they're all taking pay cuts when all reports suggest that, while not getting paid as much as they could elsewhere, they're still on significant coin. Yes, players have taken less at other teams to stay together, but what they haven't done is lock themselves into being underpaid for 7 years! Who in their right mind would do that? A lot can change in that time and while they might be happy now, it could change. And that's applicable for all teams, not just the Giants.

Don't forget, footy careers are only a short part of a player's lifetime. They'd be foolish to take less for that long purely out of loyalty.

NFL and NBA aren't really great comparisons either. Not a huge amount of difference between taking $30 million a season rather than 40.

That's not the essence of my argument at all. I was responding to your comment about the figures. You're making an assumption they're all taking pay cuts when all reports suggest that, while not getting paid as much as they could elsewhere, they're still on significant coin. Yes, players have taken less at other teams to stay together, but what they haven't done is lock themselves into being underpaid for 7 years! Who in their right mind would do that? A lot can change in that time and while they might be happy now, it could change. And that's applicable for all teams, not just the Giants.

Don't forget, footy careers are only a short part of a player's lifetime. They'd be foolish to take less for that long purely out of loyalty.

NFL and NBA aren't really great comparisons either. Not a huge amount of difference between taking $30 million a season rather than 40.

You're making an assumption that they aren't taking cuts.
All reports? which ones? As has been said earlier Greene's wage changes depending on the reporter, as does Cogs and Kelly's, Whitfield there is no report of any wage dollar wise and the only report about Jezza's new contract is that it's under a million but 7 years.

The long contracts guarantees their careers. Protection against things that can go wrong.

How did all your mob keep their stars then when winning those flags? Were they cheating? How are the Tigers?

Let’s be conservative then
Let’s be naive and say only cogs is on a mil

Cameron, Whitfield, kelly, Taranto, Greene, Davis, Ward these 7 instead of being closer or on a mil let’s say 750k to be conservative

That’s 8 players taking up 6.25 mil of the cap
Leaving 36 players with the other half
Are the remainder 36 players playing for an average of 170k each to fit in the cap?

I haven’t even brought up hopper himmelberg Haynes Williams yet

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're making an assumption that they aren't taking cuts.
All reports? which ones? As has been said earlier Greene's wage changes depending on the reporter, as does Cogs and Kelly's, Whitfield there is no report of any wage dollar wise and the only report about Jezza's new contract is that it's under a million but 7 years.

The long contracts guarantees their careers. Protection against things that can go wrong.

How did all your mob keep their stars then when winning those flags? Were they cheating? How are the Tigers?
Let's be conservative here and estimate the following figures:

Cogs: $1mil
Cameron: $900k
Whit: $850k
Kelly: $850k
Greene: $850k

Most of these values I've seen even you yourself throw out, so you can't really question the reports. That's still a significant chunk of your salary cap and hardly looks like they're taking unders compared to what others get paid in other teams. They're all still on good wickets pay wise.

Hawthorn's flag years didn't have any player over $600k, with the possible exception of Hodge. Granted the cap has increased since then, but that's still a fair difference to what you guys have now. When our players took less, it was the difference between 500k and 600k for a couple of years, not 200-300k a year for 7 years. The situations aren't really comparable.

Let’s be conservative then
Let’s be naive and say only cogs is on a mil

Cameron, Whitfield, kelly, Taranto, Greene, Davis, Ward these 7 instead of being closer or on a mil let’s say 750k to be conservative

That’s 8 players taking up 6.25 mil of the cap
Leaving 36 players with the other half
Are the remainder 36 players playing for an average of 170k each to fit in the cap?

I haven’t even brought up hopper himmelberg Haynes Williams yet

Are they though on that? Your conservative may be way off as well.

Are they though on that? Your conservative may be way off as well.
Lol

You think they are on less than 750k?
Players who were offered over a mil a year

My conservative is being kind to you already

They are more likely 800-900k

With a few on a mil

Let's be conservative here and estimate the following figures:

Cogs: $1mil
Cameron: $900k
Whit: $850k
Kelly: $850k
Greene: $850k

Most of these values I've seen even you yourself throw out, so you can't really question the reports. That's still a significant chunk of your salary cap and hardly looks like they're taking unders compared to what others get paid in other teams. They're all still on good wickets pay wise.

Hawthorn's flag years didn't have any player over $600k, with the possible exception of Hodge. Granted the cap has increased since then, but that's still a fair difference to what you guys have now. When our players took less, it was the difference between 500k and 600k for a couple of years, not 200-300k a year for 7 years. The situations aren't really comparable.
So we take your word for it and "conservative" numbers that the 0 Flag Giants are on figures that don't add up for the cap.
But we also take your word for it that the 3 peat Hawks were all on under 600k?
What about the Tigers who have won 2 flags?
Surely their figures don't add up either?

Or doesn't that fit the outrage?

You guys all said they would run out the joint in year 2, then year 4 etc etc etc.

Now stars are signing for unders long term and so, as it doesn't fit your narrative, there must be something dodgy going on. Theyarent the Hawks, Tigers etc etc who would want to stay at the Giants?

Almost as funny as flat earthers.

Lol

You think they are on less than 750k?
Players who were offered over a mil a year

My conservative is being kind to you already

They are more likely 800-900k

With a few on a mil
I'm saying you and I have no clue what the figures are.

If the 2 time flag winner tigers can keep them together and bring in the biggest FA of the past few years then we certainly can keep them.

I'm saying you and I have no clue what the figures are.

If the 2 time flag winner tigers can keep them together and bring in the biggest FA of the past few years then we certainly can keep them.
The tigers have 4 solid stars that would get paid what 8 gws players would be getting plus there’s no go home factor for them to have to pay overs

There is no way they are on less than 750k and more likely the argument is are they on a mil or 800k

General Giant: "Our stars signed for unders"
Also General Giant: "We don't know what they've signed for"

:rolleyes:

As I said, the figures above are ones you've put out yourself. Now you're arguing that they're inflated just because it doesn't suit your argument.

judging by all the players that have turned down the big offers from North and the Saints, you'd have to suggest that it's more common than you think.
I think you’re missing the point they have obviously taken a little less to stay at a contender that’s fine but anyone that thinks they have knocked back offers of 1.2-1.5 million a a season to resign for 800 a season are dreaming they might take a couple hundred less a season not 500 that’s what makes these 800 seasons figures laughable!

Nah I don't agree with GG on this one but the general premise is correct - we don't know the numbers being paid but some people (on both sides) are taking reported figures as gospel.

Yeah someone like Jeremy Cameron may be worth a million on the open market and his pay at GWS reflects that - or he could be paying for minimum wage as allowed by the AFLPA - or he could be a spokesperson for a cardboard factory. Whatever, who really knows? Until the AFL come out and state GWS are under investigation for salary cap breaches you have to proceed on the assumption it's all fine.

I think you’re missing the point they have obviously taken a little less to stay at a contender that’s fine but anyone that thinks they have knocked back offers of 1.2-1.5 million a a season to resign for 800 a season are dreaming they might take a couple hundred less a season not 500 that’s what makes these 800 seasons figures laughable!

Why not? Andrew Gaff reportedly knocked back a much higher offer from North last year.

And, as usual, you proceed with those numbers as if you know the real figures but the rest of us don't. Give me a break.

Having seen some of the contracts in my line of work, I can say that some are on way less than the guesses, and some that are not even mentioned have had years over $1 mill. (one GWS guy who no one would guess would be that highly paid got $1.3 mill one year and $300k another year.)
Its all about salary cap balance. GWS are managing theres properly but are still dumping players. Every club is doing the same. This thread is pointless

General Giant: "Our stars signed for unders"
Also General Giant: "We don't know what they've signed for"

:rolleyes:

As I said, the figures above are ones you've put out yourself. Now you're arguing that they're inflated just because it doesn't suit your argument.

Reportedly and they can and could be still wrong.

Not my figures at all.

Only ones coming up with arguments are those whinging and moaning we keep our players we want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back