Small blokes who were big kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
They just showed Malcolm Blight's famous kick after the siren on tv again, so I checked out his wiki page and read he's only 182 cm tall, apparently! Not sure if that's accurate but I always thought he was closer to 190. That's just on six foot. The goal he kicked was at least 70 metres. It got me thinking, what are some shorter or smaller players who can kick a long bomb? Height/leg length isn't the only factor, of course, although it's a big factor (simple physics). Strength, technique etc plays a role. There are also taller players who can't kick as far, but obviously there is a correlation. I remember Michael Voss and Nathan Buckley kicked at least a few 70m goals (not bouncing). Shannon Hurn isn't that tall either. Most who kick that far are usually at least 190cm, and even many taller than that can't (most, really). I also remember David Wirrapunda being a big kick, despite only being about 174cm. How tall was Ben Graham from Geelong? Anyway, who comes to mind for you?

They just showed Malcolm Blight's famous kick after the siren on tv again, so I checked out his wiki page and read he's only 182 cm tall, apparently! Not sure if that's accurate but I always thought he was closer to 190. That's just on six foot. The goal he kicked was at least 70 metres. It got me thinking, what are some shorter or smaller players who can kick a long bomb? Height/leg length isn't the only factor, of course, although it's a big factor (simple physics). Strength, technique etc plays a role. There are also taller players who can't kick as far, but obviously there is a correlation. I remember Michael Voss and Nathan Buckley kicked at least a few 70m goals (not bouncing). Shannon Hurn isn't that tall either. Most who kick that far are usually at least 190cm, and even many taller than that can't (most, really). I also remember David Wirrapunda being a big kick, despite only being about 174cm. How tall was Ben Graham from Geelong? Anyway, who comes to mind for you?

I think 182cms might be a little generous as I would have said 180cm. He may have shrunk a bit over the years though.

I think 182cms might be a little generous as I would have said 180cm. He may have shrunk a bit over the years though.

Either way, 180cm is on the shorter side for an AFL player (the average now is close to 190cm), and he could definitely kick a lot further than most. Mark Ricciuto is another that comes to mind. I'm not too sure about current players, it seems players don't go for the long bombs, whether drop punt or torpedo, as much anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naaah

Barnes and King were Geelong's rucks during Graham's time at the Cats. Graham was a tall KPP who averaged less than one hit out per game

Either that or I was high as a mofo for most of the '90s

Yeah, Graham was a key defender, who occasionally pinch-hit as a forward later in his career, kind of like Harry Taylor.

What's Broadbent's height? Kicked a monster goal against Richmond last season.
189cm.

Dew 183cm went alright....

Ebert was a good mention. Huge kick.

Fabian Francis at 177cm was incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back