List Mgmt. So two years running we don't trade out any players..

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is this exceptional player retention...or perhaps that our fringe players have no market value at present?

Genuine question...as I dont think too may sides would have ever done this??

It of course has the added benefit of supporter satisfaction...as That Favourite Player who was so nice to them at open training isn't now with (gasp!) another club

Discuss .

Is this exceptional player retention...or perhaps that our fringe players have no market value at present?

It of course has the added benefit of supporter satisfaction...as That Favourite Player who was so nice to them at open training isn't now with (gasp!) another club

Discuss .

Our good players are either young or to old to trade. Our ordinary players have no value at all. They would have tried to trade some but there would have been no takers.

Discuss .
We are the ultimate destination club.
But a bit like the Hotel California . "you can check out any time you want. BUT YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE"

In a way I think it is a good thing. We are keeping the list together as it grows. It is certainly getting some synergies on game day. Team spirit is also huge. GWS or the Suns whilst chockful of talent might well be strange clubs to enter now. A bit of a revolving door.

I did wonder whether we would trade Armo or a ruckman to get the picks we were after. But the Hawks came good. Our club spirit will be pretty good, and the new guys will fit in well.

3 years ago....even 2....our guys looked like they'd never been introduced yet alone have played together. We were so disjointed. Not the finished article by a long chalk, but cohesion and spirit win you games. We are getting there. A Jelly or a Sheil to ice the cake next year would be nice.

It'll be hard to pick one out of Shenton, Lee, Murdoch, Templeton to retain and three to delist, assuming Fisher gets rookied. They're all solid VFL players (Shenton has come on especially) so it's about choosing who could possibly make it. But, it's hard to see any of them playing seniors next year. I'd still like to hold onto Eli as he could be a good depth player as a utility. Crazy to look at how our list has changed over the last 3 years... And good to see we are having to push out players who haven't made it. The list just keeps improving....

And further..
Webster 2017
Dunstan 2017
Newnes 2017
Billings 2017
Roberton 2017 ( June 2015)
Sinclair 2017 ( June 2015 will be off rookie list 2016)
McKenzie 2017 ( June 2015)
Hickey 2017 ( Aug 2015)
Gilbert 2017 ( Aug 2015)
Lonie 2017 ( Sept 2015)
Savage 2017 ( Dec 2015)
Montagna 2017 ( Mar 2016)
Riewoldt 2017 ( June 2016)
Membrey
Dempster -2017 (Oct 2016)

new players 2015 draft
Gresham 2017
White 2017
Rice 2017

This is the list of OOC players next year. We have 2 first round picks, a third and two 4ths. It's hard not to see about 5 players leaving. Possibly retire Dempster Montagna Gilbert. After that it gets really tough. Could Roo go? That would make for a pretty tough 2018 losing all of your experience, and heart and soul, in one shot. Next year, I would expect one of Lonie/ Sinclair and one of White/Rice/Mckenzie to be delisted.

And further..
Webster 2017
Dunstan 2017
Newnes 2017
Billings 2017
Roberton 2017 ( June 2015)
Sinclair 2017 ( June 2015 will be off rookie list 2016)
McKenzie 2017 ( June 2015)
Hickey 2017 ( Aug 2015)
Gilbert 2017 ( Aug 2015)
Lonie 2017 ( Sept 2015)
Savage 2017 ( Dec 2015)
Montagna 2017 ( Mar 2016)
Riewoldt 2017 ( June 2016)
Membrey
Dempster -2017 (Oct 2016)

new players 2015 draft
Gresham 2017
White 2017
Rice 2017

This is the list of OOC players next year. We have 2 first round picks, a third and two 4ths. It's hard not to see about 5 players leaving. Possibly retire Dempster Montagna Gilbert. After that it gets really tough. Could Roo go? That would make for a pretty tough 2018 losing all of your experience, and heart and soul, in one shot. Next year, I would expect one of Lonie/ Sinclair and one of White/Rice/Mckenzie to be delisted.
I still think the surprising 2-year contracts for Wright and Minchington will turn out to be heavily front-loaded and so therefore relatively easy to do the same as we did with Saunders and get them to the rookie list for their second years if we wanted to. That's assuming the rookie list still exists for 2018.

So getting the crystal ball out for next year:

In:
FA
Trade
Pick 1
Pick 2
Coughlan/Pick 3?
NOK?

Out:
Whoever remains of Fisher/Lee/Shenton/Murdoch/Templeton
Dempster
Gilbert
Montagna?
Roo?
1-3 of Lonie/Sinclair/Rice/Minchington (Rookie)/Wright(Rookie)/Coughlan/NOK?

If we do as well as we think we might next year Roo may want to go on beyond next year and we may want to maintain Montagna's experience as well and given the role he currently plays he would be able to go on as it's pretty pain free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back