Opinion So where's the Lions forum at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys. Long time lurker here, but very, very rare poster.

I thought I'd contribute for once and give an opinion from a slightly different viewpoint to most on here.

Firstly, this is one of the best sub forums on the site. Over the 10 or so years I've been reading, my knowledge of the club has increased by at least tenfold. Whether it's boning up on the players in Roster Watch or reading about the ins and outs of the administration and the club as a whole in the general forum, it's a great resource for someone who loves the club but has never been actively involved in it. To the posters who have made this possible, and there are quite a few, I thank you.

I am loathe therefore to criticise any of those posters. I'd also note that I've never had any personal problems with anyone on this board whatsoever. But I do think there are a couple of ways in which the board could become better.

The first relates to the idea of 'cliques' mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I don't know anyone on this site in real life and therefore can only take posters at their word. If posters say there is no clique then as far as I'm concerned there is no clique. However, at certain times in certain threads, the appearance of cliques has been something that I have noticed over the years. Predominantly I've seen it when a poster has gotten under people's skin for a period of time prior and thankfully I've never seen it directed at new members. But it does set a tone and a mood which makes it hard for new members to post. It's a small part of the reason that I don't really post on here (although it is well down on that list).

The second point is coupled with the first point, but on a more one on one level. There is an attitude of some posters to talk down to others. There are times when it is warranted. There are times when it isn't. It's these times that make it a bit of a daunting thing for new posters to really come in and make a contribution.

Now obviously there are newish posters who have come in here with no problems and haven't thought twice about any of this. That's fantastic. All I'm saying is that if you are a person like me, it can be a little bit off putting at times. Personally, I've been around for long enough to know that the problems I mentioned above aren't all that prevalent, but they are there to some degree. If that's all you see it could be the difference between staying or leaving.

Hopefully though we're back playing finals soon though because that would be the real catalyst for people to come here.

Keep up the posting to those who do please though because it is really interesting for the most part!

We should be more like the Richmond and North boards!

I love how they all start 50 threads about sacking the coach and not watching anymore until Shaun Grigg/some other spud is sacked when they lose.
It's great for having a rational discussion.

Never mind holding the man , I wanna know what's going to be done about 'Holding the Balls" decisions? It's a curse that has slowly infiltrated into this forum. I blame the clique.
Posters can hold the ball all they want, as long as they don't post pictures of it as I'm pretty sure that's both against BF's Terms of Service and also Australian law. ;)

meh. Forums are just a subset of life really, just with a larger dose of passion which tends to blow things up a little. Yes there will be a majority, as there always is and as such there will always be more people thinking one way rather than the other. Agree that there is a small amount of what I would call passive bullying going on here and there but largely it is the result of a few trends that have been happening on here lately.

1. People saying things as fact. Its something that has been increasing remarkably in the last 6-12 months. When someone comes out and says something is a fact when it is really their opinion it gets quite annoying. There's nothing wrong with you thinking its going to happen that way but please don't sit there and deal in absolutes when you're really just speculating. No-one would have a problem with someone coming out and saying i think player x is gone at the end of the year, but when you say player x is gone at the end of the year it invites some pretty strong rebuttle. There's a difference between the two, it may be worth keeping that in mind.

2. The constant re stating of issues across threads is another. Too many times threads that are on one topic are getting dragged into discussions on others or topics that should be kept on others. Classic example is the talk about Aish. You can barely read a thread on here without someone popping up and mentioning that Aish hasn't signed yet. Please can we keep that all in the one thread and away from the others?

At the end of the day issues are magnified when things aren't going well, and peoples opinions vary the most. Add our onfield performance to our off field issues and you've got a recipe for conflict. Its gotten so bad lately that we've had a members group have to stand up and lobby for the club to do what it's supposed to do and listen to its members. No surprise things have gotten more hostile on here too.

I would also say that if you're prepared to hop on here and put up a view that may not be popular with the majority then perhaps you should expect a little pushback, this isn't a blog after all, and yes you will probably get more objection than support.

Finally, personally I think that the Vent thread, while possibly being a good idea at the start, hasn't really fulfilled its objective and its misuse has probably spelled the end of the road for it IMO

Even good posters can occasionally make a bad post.

There is occasionally an air of infallibility from some on here though and it is good that the whole attitude of the board is brought under scrutiny from time-to-time to see whether it is a welcoming place for those not already here.

I think it is worth considering/remembering that most peoples' online personae are characters they portray rather than anything more than a snapshot of their real life personae. Natural optimists seem to be exaggerated into "happy-clapper" territory and pragmatists get distorted into "doom-merchants" when the truth is something in between.

I think it has something to do with the filter that comes from considering the mechanical action of typing. It's not worth the effort to go through the process of typing something unless you have strong enough feelings towards it - at least that's how it works for me - on top of that, because your posts are essentially laying your emotions on the line it doesn't feel particularly great when other people are dismissive of what you have to say. It's even worse when they use logic and rational thought to invalidate your feelings.

I find this thread quite amusing. Despite football being quite a decisive subject this is one of the better run forums I have ventured into. The knowledge here is quite outstanding (which is very helpful for a Melbourne based fan who doesn't get to see the team that often). Opinions are varied and generally well discussed (as long as posters are sensible in how they post their opinion) and and there is a fairly decent sense of humour that is allowed to flow. The nature of the beast is that some posters are going to come and go and hopefully things don't fall apart.

Also I wouldn't have even known there was a ignore button if it wasnt mentioned here and there

Edit: stupid grammer

There was only one time I remember any feelings of 'bullying' re myself - in that instance I had made a statement of motive and referenced two other posters re a topic that at the time was fairly heated. I received a strong challenge to effectively prove my assertion (along with suggestions I was some other poster I had never heard of) which I may or may not have been able to do but which I didn't choose to take the time to try to... apart from that nothing.

There *are* some people that seem to have only one track posting and I kind of edit out what they say (no one on my ignore list) kind of scanning it to see the inevitable xxx reference and reading it if it looks like something else.

The ones I truly found annoying were the ones who were only here to gloat how right they were when things went bad - we would be on a game day thread - Lions up by 10 ... nothing ... Lions then down by 30 ... stacks on the mill with certain posters fighting for postage space to glory in our ineptitude ... Lions turn it around and are only down by 5 or now up by 10 again ... not a word ... silence ... You could almost set your clock by when they would show up.

I don't mind people having a different opinion and I like it when they are around in good times and bad and some people I find annoying, some I look forward to, some I see their name and eagerly peruse and some I engage with on varying levels.

I don't have enough useful opinions to be really disagreed with - just comment on what others have said or what springs to mind and if I am in a clique or perceived to be in a clique I wouldn't know (hell that time when they did up a AFL team of posters I didn't even get in the thirds!)

I am spending less time on here than I did due to other life pressures and have chosen a subset of threads to follow (as opposed to every one not fantasy of punting related or in the den on the board) but I appreciate it and what little experience I have had of other team's boards and the main board this is a pretty good place.

Enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back