So who loses their job ?

Remove this Banner Ad

You silly people dissing on green is pathetic

the kid did more than half of our top six

him and will are the only positives to come out of that series
Green absolutely deserves some more tests, did enough with the bat when Australia were in difficult positions. Would definitely have liked to have seen more swinging of the bat from him though, particularly yesterday. Very much felt like he was playing in an unnatural way.
In terms of replacing Paine, who are the options? The optics of Smith being captain again wouldn't bother me, I'm just not sold on him as a captain. The series wins when he was in charge last time were par for the course. He was captain when Australia got done 3-0 in Sri Lanka, were humiliated at home to South Africa and was the captain when we lost to Bangladesh for the very first time.

Is Marnus experienced enough for the job? Maybe it's time to do away with the idea bowlers can't be captain which would certainly open the door for Pat Cummins.

I wouldn't worry about Justin Langer yet. I think Ricky Ponting will coach Australia one day, just not yet. Dizzy was my choice to repace Boof just under 3 years ago but I can't see a change of coach for a while yet. A horrible series loss in South Africa might change that.

As for the experienced players, Warner, Paine, Starc and Lyon will need to perform better than they did in this series.
I just don't think logistically a bowler works as captain. Too much going on in your own mind regarding your own bowling as a bowler to then be thinking every ball about tactics. Bowling long spells and then having to be heavily involved in the field seems like a great way to become mentally fatigued.

Captaincy isn’t as important as you think it is judging by your post. Richie Benaud even admitted its 90 percent luck 10 percent skills.

He was being very modest. You set the fields you manage the team you pick the bowlers.

Maybe you aren’t working out the tactics but it’s a big job regardless.

Main question is why are we not producing any capable on field leaders?

Players that can read the game, adapt to changing scenarios on the fly, set standards and pull the reins to outsmart the opposition.

Last bloke we had who could do that was M. Clarke. Even then he was lacking in the man management department, but what I would give for him to have been setting the fields and making the bowling changes this series.

Fact is, you pretty much need your captain to be one of the top 6. Mayyyybe you can afford a spinner, but the quicks are too buggered half the time to think bigger picture tactically, and besides you ideally want a captain that can play you a captain's innings and lead from the crease as well as in the field.

Smith has been found wanting, and anyhow he's a weirdo with something deeper going on. Can't have your captain constantly fidgeting and showing his emotion so obviously when things aren't working. Marnus is probably cut from the same cloth, and would struggle to get the respect of the troops you'd fear.

Have we turned test batting into such a cult in Australia that you have to be half-mad to make runs? The other current top 6 are either aggro dickheads (W̶a̶r̶n̶e̶r̶ and Wade) who flop under pressure, or young pups.

I had high hopes for Usman as a cool head under pressure, but maybe his ship has sailed and maybe he never gave enough of a s**t to be captain.

We really need Pucovski to show something in the leadership department, but only if he's durable-- you can't have your captain missing every second match.

India really are blessed to have Rahane equipped to step in for Kohli. In truth, he's probably the better leader, and would probably remain captain if Kohli wasn't a god over there.

I mean guess in 2000-2005 being the captain or coach would have been pretty easy !
Well, yes, that's my point.

It's easy to throw Paine under the bus, but if he had the likes of Hayden, Langer, Hussey, Ponting, Martyn, etc in the batting lineup and McGrath, Gillsepie, Warne, MacGill, Lee, etc as bowlers I doubt he'd be copping much flak.

Conversely, if you put the captains of those great sides in charge of the (largely) motley bunch we've got out there these days, I'm not sure they'd be anywhere near as successful.

Or - even if you have those players in the side and they are not performing, it makes the captain's job so much more difficult. Imagine if our batsmen had fired in England in 2005 for instance.

Well Sydney and brisbane wickets dirty old roads , any captain would expect both to give more assistance in the last innings

India got the rub of the green more than once !

people forget they are a very good test team we were not playing fools and they out played us

get of the captains back , lot of short memories on here

starc and Lyon vert poor all series , green has a way too go as a bowler. Batting generally poor with no dedication at critical times

No matter where, I feel Inglis must play the next series against South Africa. Whether that be opening the batting, playing in the middle order, or replacing Tim Paine, it needs to happen. He's young, was in form in the sheffield shield, and has consistently matched it with the best in the BBL the last few seasons. Sure, T20 isnt test cricket, but plenty have suggested we need to be innovative in our selections.

Some quick takes:
  • Starc must be dropped
  • BBL needs to be max 1 month long from now on.
  • Warner needs to be slowly phased out of the test team

Pitch curators too. I remember there was a time when you really had to punch above your weight to score in Australia but in recent years it has become way too easy.
There was a lot of roads that were trotted out in the 2000's and beyond in Australia, especially in Adelaide. The runs per wicket has dropped slightly in day tests over the last 5 seasons compared to the 15 prior, but nothing significant (35 runs per wicket v 36). We've only 4 double centuries in the last five seasons, 2 scores by non Aussies (Cookie, Smith, Labu and Azhar Ali).

But what has changed in the wickets in a general feeling of lifelessness and the lack of deterioration. The MCG for a couple of years was like playing on sand, as was the SCG this summer. There have been others as well. They've also largely started to conform to very similar characteristics, whereas before due to the large size of the country and varying climates amongst the capital cities there was huge differences in the pitches from. I imagine drop in wickets has a lot to do with this, but not everywhere is using them just yet.

Captaincy might be as Benaud says but I'm tipping Mark Taylor or Rick Ponting win that series.
You may well be right.

But my point about the quality of player in a captain's side stands. Just as an example - look at the opening debacles this series - as opposed to having Taylor/Slater or Hayden/Langer opening.

Err, we need bowlers who can contribute with the ball.

Lyon and Starc were shithouse - it’s not up to Green to offset their complete lack of impact.
Yep, your fifth bowler is a luxury. They'll chip in most times, maybe even pull out the odd five-for. I know Green didn't pick up any wickets and that needs to come up to at least a wicket a test in the short term and preferably more long term for him to be classed as an all rounder, but the issues with the ball lay square at the feet of Lyon and Starc. 650ish test wickets between and they combined here for 20 at a tad over 45 runs per wicket.

He hasn't secured that #6 position by any means, but unless an injury hits, he'll be in that spot for the first test in South Africa without doubt and they'll almost certainly give him that whole series before questioning his position in the team, by which point he may even get that big breakthrough performance that cements his spot for the next 12 months or so.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxwell last 5 tests were in India 2017 and averaged near 40 and of cause included his ton.Who is the player you say who is averaging 40 in test cricket.If we are focussing on Maxwell's batting have you thought about his fielding and use of a part time bowler in a match.
Travis Head.. Sorry that was supposed to be Travis is 5 years younger than Maxwell and averages 40 and bowls vs Maxwell who averages 26 and also bowls

Sent from my Mi9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Shocked to see people calling for Green to be dropped. This series was incredibly poor, there's no doubt about it but India clearly have the best depth in World Cricket and with how often they've been playing in Australia they've adapted well.

South Africa are noticeably poorer. We don't need to change the entire side, let's focus on dropping Wade and Starc with the hope Pucvoski is fit and firing.

Last edited:
Just as an example - look at the opening debacles this series - as opposed to having Taylor/Slater or Hayden/Langer opening.
That last stand from Harris and Warner salvaged something from the wreckage, but it was still a pretty disastrous series. First wicket falling before 20 on 6 of the 8 innings. Prior to that it was about our 30th worst series for opening stands. That includes about 10 series from pre-WWI when scoring was much much lower than now. That's on the back of the disastrous 2019 Ashes campaign, our fourth worst ever series for opening batsmen.

Talking about mentally weak players, Puc has to be on the top of the list. Australia can't keep him up in the team if he keeps on his shenanigans of choosing when to play. A player should not be the one to decide when he wants to play or not. I think Australia should give up on him and move to some other young prospect

Talking about mentally weak players, Puc has to be on the top of the list. Australia can't keep him up in the team if he keeps on his shenanigans of choosing when to play. A player should not be the one to decide when he wants to play or not. I think Australia should give up on him and move to some other young prospect
Troll better please

Langer on at half time in the bbl. also the excuses under the sun. “Test cricket is the winner” - no mate. India was the winner.

Pathetic.

“So proud of the 4 bowlers”. Pathetic. We picked a totally cooked Starc because we were idiots.

Starc's failure in the last Test should've rung warning signs here - he's either hot or cold, and if he's cold, he's not worth selecting.

Pat Cummins is so clearly the best candidate to take over as captain, as evidenced by the feeble excuses used against him in this thread.

"But fast bowling is tiring"... yeah, it is, and? We're not talking about a guy like Starc who goes to water when the going gets tough. The more that is asked of Cummins, the more he thrives.

Even if there was a sensible unwritten rule about quicks not being captain (there isn't), the exception to such a rule should apply in the case of exceptional cricketers.

Shocked to see people calling for Green to be dropped. This serious was incredibly poor, there's no doubt about it but India clearly have the best depth in World Cricket and with how often they've been playing in Australia they've adapted well.

South Africa are noticeably poorer. We don't need to change the entire side, let's focus on dropping Wade and Starc with the hope Pucvoski is fit and firing.
You are obviously new to the BF cricket board. :D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back