Socceroos Socceroos World Cup Thread-Final Squad Named (Ruka, Triosi, Brilliante, Croatian guy miss out)

Remove this Banner Ad

We should definitely be looking to tie players like Karacic, Arzani, Susnjar and Hrustic to the national team from now on instead of losing them (see; Gulom).

Yeah this is spot on.

If there is a dual national keen to represent Australia, we should be doing everything we can to ensure they do. Of course, not every player we give the opportunity to will work out, but so what?

Realistically there is no downside to giving Karacic, Arzani and Susnjar a chance at the World Cup, and hoping that down the track they develop into quality players at international level. I hope all three make the final cut.

Hrustic didn't make the squad, but we already capped him last year.

We've lost plenty of quality dual nationals over the years - you mentioned Gulum, but there are so many others. Vieri, Simunic, Didulica, Samaras, Seric just off the top of my head. Not all will want to represent Australia, but we should at the very least be asking the question.

Ange was pretty big on this in his time as manager - and I am glad BVM recognizes it as well.

Yeah this is spot on.

If there is a dual national keen to represent Australia, we should be doing everything we can to ensure they do. Of course, not every player we give the opportunity to will work out, but so what?

Realistically there is no downside to giving Karacic, Arzani and Susnjar a chance at the World Cup, and hoping that down the track they develop into quality players at international level. I hope all three make the final cut.

Hrustic didn't make the squad, but we already capped him last year.

We've lost plenty of quality dual nationals over the years - you mentioned Gulum, but there are so many others. Vieri, Simunic, Didulica, Samaras, Seric just off the top of my head. Not all will want to represent Australia, but we should at the very least be asking the question.

Ange was pretty big on this in his time as manager - and I am glad BVM recognizes it as well.

We're the most multicultural country in the world. We have a massive advantage over most other countries just from that alone yet we continuously fail to capitalize on it. Imagine having Vieri against Iran back in 96/97, we go through then. The FFA need to step up massively in this regard.

Simunic can * right off though seriously * that guy.

The FFA need to step up massively in this regard.

Yeah, but to be fair I think they have. Ange was big on it, and it looks as though BVM may be as well.

Ange called up plenty of dual nationals in his time - Irvine, Giannou, Deganek, Smith, Maclaren, Amini. I am sure there are others as well.

Don't understand why the Karacic call-up is being shat on. He was getting game time with the Croatian U21's (and playing well) with a view to a call up to the national side and I would imagine a lot of players would like to be in the same side as Modric, Perisic and Mandzukic. Massive coup for us if you think about it. From what I remember reading about him, he has also captained his team (NK Lokomotiva) and for a 21 year old that's not bad at all.

Arzani will be a star and I don't see us getting past the group stages so playing him and tying him to us over Iran is another good decision from Bert.

We should definitely be looking to tie players like Karacic, Arzani, Susnjar and Hrustic to the national team from now on instead of losing them (see; Gulom).

I don't disagree with what you're saying - but you don't give them those games in a World Cup. That's what the other 3 years and 11 months are for. BVM wasn't brought into just hand caps out.

That said, I don't mind the Karacic pick given our lack other options. I'd be really happy for him to make the final squad.

Arzani I'm not so sure about. Great young player and all - but if we're that worried he's going to piss off and play for Iran, is he the kind of player we desperately want anyway?

I don't disagree with what you're saying - but you don't give them those games in a World Cup. That's what the other 3 years and 11 months are for. BVM wasn't brought into just hand caps out.

That said, I don't mind the Karacic pick given our lack other options. I'd be really happy for him to make the final squad.

Arzani I'm not so sure about. Great young player and all - but if we're that worried he's going to piss off and play for Iran, is he the kind of player we desperately want anyway?
Yeah I'm with you on this one, qualifiers and continental cups + friendlies, cap the dual citizens in these matches. The big dance is far more important than capping kids.

3856e85c390b6c6801d69107bc41febc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maclaren, Giannou, Gersbach, Langerak, Wright and Susnjar all left at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe Rukavystya is in ahead of Maclaren, who is a demonstrably better player. Remember's Ruka's last A-League stint?

Dude's gotta have compromising photos of someone. We could have 2 squads of 26 and he still shouldn't be anywhere near them.

I can't believe Rukavystya is in ahead of Maclaren, who is a demonstrably better player. Remember's Ruka's last A-League stint?

Dude's gotta have compromising photos of someone. We could have 2 squads of 26 and he still shouldn't be anywhere near them.
And Nabbout and 50 year old Milligan who's a liability and Brillante and Petratos and Risdon. It's going to be hard to watch, clearly the FFA have an A-league quota on the team now. I know people rubbish me for it, but seriously, how else can a player in a better league who scored 8 in 15, be beaten out by these guys..

Dont know what Milligan or Cahill have done to get in, also dont know what JMac has to do to get in.

Bailey Wright pretty unlucky too one would have thought
We don't really have another option as that defensive midfielder other than Jedinak and Milligan unless you want to pick someone like Brendan O'Neill or Steven Ugarkovic. James Holland or Jimmy Jeggo I suppose as well but they play slightly further forward in that defensive midfield two and are probably more competing with Irvine/Mooy/Luongo who they are never going to be picked in front of. There's probably someone I've forgotten though.

I think MacLaren is a victim of his lack of versatility. Juric is viewed (probably correctly) as our no.1 striker and Cahill is going as a impact sub in the case we are just going to hoof balls to try and win or draw a game. For that quick, agile striker Nabbout and Rukavytsya have both been picked in front of him because they are also options for that RW spot in a 4-2-3-1 formation, a position MacLaren can't play (that we've seen). Considering that the incumbent for that role is Robbie ******* Kruse I would think we'd want to pick some depth for that position.

We also forget how poor he played when he started v Thailand and I think that left an impression on Ante Milicic (let's face it, he's picked this squad not BVM). I'd have still picked him in front of Ruka though.

Lets face it though, the fringe members for the squad that we're discussing here aren't really going to effect how we perform. Its really going to come down to:

1. Can Mooy/Luongo/Rogic provide some chances?
2. Can Juric actually take any of the rare chances we create?
3. Can Sainsbury and Ryan make up for whichever spuds we pick in the rest of our backline?

The thought of Nabbout and Rukavytsya possibly being in our squad makes me ill.
By far our weakest WC squad to date

Feel sorry for Bailey Wright. Was a mainstay throughout the qualification and a long qualification it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back