Entertainment & Music Songs that have been done to death.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks used to sing "Horses" whenever they won away I'm pretty certain.
What was so bad about a bunch of Hawthorn footballers singing a old forgotten song amongst themselves in the privacy of their own dressing room, or on the bus to the airport, or wherever the hell they sang it? Did you ever actually hear them, or was it just the idea of it which annoyed you? #headf**ked

I thought it was pretty funny. Good on 'em. Don't blame them. Blame the media for making a big deal of it and other people jumping on the bandwagon and giving the song a mini-revival.

[And Braithwaite's version was just a cover. It's a Rickie Lee Jones song]

It certainly doesn't compare with Port's contrived effort of getting 40,000 people to sing the first verse & chorus of "Never Tear Us Apart" before their home games. But I didn't mind that either. Never understood the hate. A damn sight better than the Sydney Swans lame marketing idea of copying the Boston Red Sox and playing Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" during their games.

Meh. Good songs get overplayed. Some tunes are temporarily destroyed when they're used in a commercial and played non-stop for a few months. But this doesn't mean the song is ruined forever. It's still just as good when it dies away again for a few years and then you eventually hear it again. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was like that for me. Definitely overplayed. And for good reason. What a song! But I was thoroughly sick of it and never wanted to hear it again. Then that bloody movie came out and it got another run. But it just reminded me what a great song it is.

It's worse when the songs were shizenhaussen to begin with. e.g. anything by Green Day.

AC/DC - "Thunderstruck" - a great band with 100 great songs. Why play THIS one on repeat? Yeah, cool intro, great build up, but the song sucks...
(Back In Black is also overplayed, but it's a great riff, one of many off that album)

John Lennon - "Imagine" - a very boring tune with a banal, juvenile message. Lennon was such a hypocrite. He hung $hit on everyone around him, acting superior to everyone - he even called his bro, Paul McCartney a f***** c***... Meanwhile he pleaded with everyone to get along and live in peace. Yeah sure John. Whatever you reckon. He wanted the world to "live as one", but he couldn't even keep his own band together or be a father to his first-born son. Go back to your heroin-fuelled world peace fantasies, you overgrown child.

Guns N Roses - "November Rain" - just an overblown piece of dog crap. This is when Guns N Roses went from being the world's greatest rock band to being a complete joke. It's when Axl Rose revealed himself to be an utter twat - he had a certain bad boy/rough diamond credibility at one point, but that MTV video just showed him to be the narcissistic poser that he really was.

Queen - "We Will Rock You". Crowd-pleasing singalong, but grossly overrated as a song. It's just not that good. It wouldn't be in Queen's Top 20. Enough! It now makes me think of high school Rock Eisteddfods and tv shows like "Glee". Ugh.

Queen - "We Are The Champions" - do we really have to hear this every time a football team wins something? It's such a dirge anyway. Can't we have something more upbeat?

Foo Fighters - "Best Of You" - horrible song. This is exactly when I started to hate Dave Grohl. Trying too hard. I actually liked all the Foo's singles up to that point.

Def Leppard - "Pour Some Sugar On Me" - one of the worst songs ever. It always mystified me why this became Def Leppard's signature song. Shitty band, but they had better tunes.

The B-52's - "Love Shack" - Their early 80's stuff was smart, fun and infectious, but this clunky comeback hit from the late 80's was a dead-set stinker which got played non-stop for the next 20 years. FMD.

Jackson 5 - "ABC" - Is there a more annoying chorus in the history of pop music? It's like something you'd hear on Play School or Sesame Street.

Prince - "Purple Rain" - I liked Prince's funky stuff: Controversy, 1999, When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, Kiss, Sign Of Times, Get Off, Cream... All good tunes and right in his wheelhouse. "Purple Rain" is just a laughably bad ballad. A plodding mess. Listen to it with open ears - It just stinks. I can't understand why anyone likes it.

Eminem - "Lose Yourself" - I hated this even before the AFL started using it to drown out the crowd before the centre bounces in September. I'm not a fan of Mathers, but he is at his best when he is being playful, witty and irreverent. He is at his worst when he is all po-faced, serious and over-wrought. This falls into the latter category.

Last edited:
Meh. Good songs get overplayed. Some tunes are temporarily destroyed when they're used in a commercial and played non-stop for a few months. But this doesn't mean the song is ruined forever. It's still just as good when it dies away again for a few years and then you eventually hear it again. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was like that for me. Definitely overplayed. And for good reason. What a song! But I was thoroughly sick of it and never wanted to hear it again. Then that bloody movie came out and it got another run. But it just reminded me what a great song it is.

It's worse when the songs were shizenhaussen to begin with. e.g. anything by Green Day.

AC/DC - "Thunderstruck" - a great band with 100 great songs. Why play THIS one on repeat? Yeah, cool intro, great build up, but the song sucks...
(Back In Black is also overplayed, but it's a great riff, one of many off that album)

John Lennon - "Imagine" - a very boring tune with a banal, juvenile message. Lennon was such a hypocrite. He hung $hit on everyone around him, acting superior to everyone - he even called his bro, Paul McCartney a f***** c***... Meanwhile he pleaded with everyone to get along and live in peace. Yeah sure John. Whatever you reckon. He wanted the world to "live as one", but he couldn't even keep his own band together or be a father to his first-born son. Go back to your heroin-fuelled world peace fantasies, you overgrown child.

Guns N Roses - "November Rain" - just an overblown piece of dog crap. This is when Guns N Roses went from being the world's greatest rock band to being a complete joke. It's when Axl Rose revealed himself to be an utter twat - he had a certain bad boy/rough diamond credibility at one point, but that MTV video just showed him to be the narcissistic poser that he really was.

Queen - "We Will Rock You". Crowd-pleasing singalong, but grossly overrated as a song. It's just not that good. It wouldn't be in Queen's Top 20. Enough! It now makes me think of high school Rock Eisteddfods and tv shows like "Glee". Ugh.

Queen - "We Are The Champions" - do we really have to hear this every time a football team wins something? It's such a dirge anyway. Can't we have something more upbeat?

Foo Fighters - "Best Of You" - horrible song. This is exactly when I started to hate Dave Grohl. Trying too hard. I actually liked all the Foo's singles up to that point.

Def Leppard - "Pour Some Sugar On Me" - one of the worst songs ever. It always mystified me why this became Def Leppard's signature song. Shitty band, but they had better tunes.

The B-52's - "Love Shack" - Their early 80's stuff was smart, fun and infectious, but this clunky comeback hit from the late 80's was a dead-set stinker which got played non-stop for the next 20 years. FMD.

Jackson 5 - "ABC" - Is there a more annoying chorus in the history of pop music? It's like something you'd hear on Play School or Sesame Street.

Prince - "Purple Rain" - I liked Prince's funky stuff: Controversy, 1999, When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, Kiss, Sign Of Times, Get Off, Cream... All good tunes and right in his wheelhouse. "Purple Rain" is just a laughably bad ballad. A plodding mess. Listen to it with open ears - It just stinks. I can't understand why anyone likes it.

Eminem - "Lose Yourself" - I hated this even before the AFL started using it to drown out the crowd before the centre bounces in September. I'm not a fan of Mathers, but he is at his best when he is being playful, witty and irreverent. He is at his worst when he is all po-faced, serious and over-wrought. This falls into the latter category.
Sweet, I found some songs to nom

What was so bad about a bunch of Hawthorn footballers singing a old forgotten song amongst themselves in the privacy of their own dressing room, or on the bus to the airport, or wherever the hell they sang it? Did you ever actually hear them, or was it just the idea of it which annoyed you? #headf**ked

I thought it was pretty funny. Good on 'em. Don't blame them. Blame the media for making a big deal of it and other people jumping on the bandwagon and giving the song a mini-revival.

[And Braithwaite's version was just a cover. It's a Rickie Lee Jones song]

It certainly doesn't compare with Port's contrived effort of getting 40,000 people to sing the first verse & chorus of "Never Tear Us Apart" before their home games. But I didn't mind that either. Never understood the hate. A damn sight better than the Sydney Swans lame marketing idea of copying the Boston Red Sox and playing Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" during their games.

Australians aren't known for their originality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Kate Bush, can Wuthering Heights ******** please?

It gives me the wuthering shites.

Wuthering Heights is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Currently studying music so on that basis anything on our repertoire list that we have to learn and rehearse ad nauseum...

Otherwise pretty much everything on commercial radio.

I love the Eurythmics but every time I turn the radio on and they're playing one of their songs it's Thorn in My Side. It's one of my least favourite songs of theirs. Why can't they play Love is a Stranger or Right by Your Side?

I love the Eurythmics but every time I turn the radio on and they're playing one of their songs it's Thorn in My Side. It's one of my least favourite songs of theirs. Why can't they play Love is a Stranger or Right by Your Side?
Whatever the radio station that's on at my local shop has a playlist that makes it sound like a 90s gay bar half the time. Muscle memory has me looking for a dark room.

I like Midnight Oil, but it so infuriating when a band you really like has a song that people that do not really know the band, always seem to think that band is known for one great song. Beds are Burning is a good song but it probably not in the top dozen songs by Midnight Oil but that is all many people know about them.. Beds are Burning and it overplayed so much I have barely wanted to hear it for decades. But other Midnight Oil songs I can re-visit and enjoy almost as much as when I first heard it.

Same thing happens with Divinyls. Every half wit from overseas knows them only for "I touch Myself" but it not even close to their best song.

I could hear Bryan Adams songs but if anyone asks for "Everything I do, I do it for you" I literally want to throw up as cannot stand hearing it.
It probably the worst song he recorded.

Thunderstruck by AC/DC can F right off too..

Science Fiction is the Divinyls best song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back