Songs That Sound A Little Too Similar

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no problem with this one. Similar vibe but they're not the same at all. Melody has some vocal similarities but nothing to scream about.
Yeah, I wasn’t really saying they stole it or anything, but the links there. Even Plant and Pearl Jam have been known to joke about it. As has been said, Zep are the last band that can talk!

FWIW, I love both songs and both bands!

AngryRanga

Yo Yeah
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toby Greene, Man City, Timberwolves

Thanks to some random guy on twitter, I heard the similarity straight away but the rogue traders weren't exactly front of mind so took me a while to find.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Krokus were enjoyable in their day, but notoriously unoriginal.

Judas Priest - Exciter

Krokus - Headhunter

(Headhunter is basically a slightly re-written Exciter)

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

Krokus - Long Stick Goes Boom

(Although in fairness, less of a straight song rip-off, than if Krokus listened to the entire Let There Be Rock album and then decided to piece parts of it back together while keeping the same sound - for example, they've basically made the former's ending the latter's beginning!)

Def Leppard - Let It Go

Def Leppard - Photograph

Krokus - Midnite Maniac

(Midnite Maniac combines the former's fast tempo and opening onslaught of riffage with the latter's ridiculously hooky pre-chorus/chorus, in a way that IMO trumps both Def Leppard songs - but they're still not winning any Most Original Artist awards anytime soon)

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Whitesnake - Judgment Day

Clearly the latter is a reworking of the former. Still a good song though, with a stand-and-deliver opening drum beat, a scorching opening riff, and some customary Vai pyrotechnics. But still, it lies in the shadow of its illustrious predecessor.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
I've always noticed this one, though no-one really seems to pick it up. Probably because The Perfect Day is less known. But I believe it was a top 10 hit in Australia. Verses VERY similar IMO.

1987 - Fischer-Z - The Perfect Day

1989 - Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Most people associate "I Want Candy" with this song.

But it was a cover of this 1965 song by the Strangeloves.

The Strangeloves were supposed to be a group of 3 Australian brothers, Giles, Miles and Niles Strange, raised on an outback sheep station. Which was a fabrication.

This song was released before the Strangloves song, also in 1965.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Most people associate "I Want Candy" with this song.

But it was a cover of this 1965 song by the Strangeloves.

The Strangeloves were supposed to be a group of 3 Australian brothers, Giles, Miles and Niles Strange, raised on an outback sheep station. Which was a fabrication.

This song was released before the Strangloves song, also in 1965.

Also similar to I Want Candy, Willie and the Hand Jive and that Bo Diddley song is Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Krokus were enjoyable in their day, but notoriously unoriginal.

Judas Priest - Exciter

Krokus - Headhunter

(Headhunter is basically a slightly re-written Exciter)

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

Krokus - Long Stick Goes Boom

(Although in fairness, less of a straight song rip-off, than if Krokus listened to the entire Let There Be Rock album and then decided to piece parts of it back together while keeping the same sound - for example, they've basically made the former's ending the latter's beginning!)

Def Leppard - Let It Go

Def Leppard - Photograph

Krokus - Midnite Maniac

(Midnite Maniac combines the former's fast tempo and opening onslaught of riffage with the latter's ridiculously hooky pre-chorus/chorus, in a way that IMO trumps both Def Leppard songs - but they're still not winning any Most Original Artist awards anytime soon)

Bit of a stretch on two of these

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
What do you think?
Solomon Linda&The Evening - Mbube 1938

The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight 1961

I really hate that song. I don't care who is singing it.

Wasn't there some copyright thing about this song a few years ago?

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
What do you think?
Solomon Linda&The Evening - Mbube 1938

The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight 1961

I believe Mbube is the correct pronounciation while 'Wimoweh,' as uttered in the song, is a sort of phoneticisation or onomatopoeic.

Neil young Tonight’s the night riff was used quite prominently in a Barry gibb song which frankie valli sung several years later. Note perfect.
tell me more

Back