Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

People can lay the blame on John Woorsfold all they want but this is the bloke who has assembled the list for Woosha to coach. It. is. insipid

Furthermore, not only does Adrian have an over inflated ego he has poorly misjudged our list by topping up with players we probably didn't necessarily need (not saying they're nice to have, but with our current position, those draft picks would be more handy than the players).

I want a Tom Browne or someone like that to start a bushfire and ask John Worsfold if this bloke is safe. He shouldn't be.

Oh, but we won trade week/period/wahtever the **** you want to call it but sorry, that don't cut it with me no more. We pride ourselves on being a top club, unfortunately, with our weak as piss effort we've turnt into a laughing stock of this competition.

Do something about it
Ask the coach whether someone on the executive team is safe?

Blaming the last 15 years of insipid success??

Absolutely I'm blaming the recruiting department

We're kidding ourselves? It is not unreasonable to think that Dodoro should be moved on considering his record or lack thereof.

Sorry blokes

After the last couple of hours recruiting is the last problem on the list.

Genuinely could’ve pulled the best 22 footballers out of the crowd and they would’ve put up more of a fight.

Sorry blokes

Genuinely could’ve pulled the best 22 footballers out of the crowd and they would’ve put up more of a fight.

The recruiter was here before the (current) coach. For him to not have gotten us anywhere near the finals is a poor reward for a person our football club has instilled so much faith into

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry blokes

When we're unable to assemble a midfield that consistently runs both ways for 15 years, then recruiting has something to do with that.

People can lay the blame on John Woorsfold all they want but this is the bloke who has assembled the list for Woosha to coach. It. is. insipid

Furthermore, not only does Adrian have an over inflated ego he has poorly misjudged our list by topping up with players we probably didn't necessarily need (not saying they're nice to have, but with our current position, those draft picks would be more handy than the players).

I want a Tom Browne or someone like that to start a bushfire and ask John Worsfold if this bloke is safe. He shouldn't be.

Oh, but we won trade week/period/wahtever the **** you want to call it but sorry, that don't cut it with me no more. We pride ourselves on being a top club, unfortunately, with our weak as piss effort we've turnt into a laughing stock of this competition.

Do something about it

Would be nice if we developed the list the way it is supposed to be used.

Why have we turned Laverde into a gimp chained to the goal square? Why let a complete dud like Baguley have the freedom to roam?

Ridley will have played 3 years and not reached double figures for AFL games played.

Langford left to struggle in the middle for 4 years.

Begley doesn't play middle. He plays the role that allows us to use Laverde in the gimp role.

Selecting Brown as a key forward to set standards squbbing contests.

I'm holding a new born typing from my phone so I can't go through all the examples of the way Worsfold's supremely ****ed up selection policies have stifiled the development of the list.

If I thought Worsfold was getting 70% out of the list I would bring one of those cannons from the mornington peninsula to Tulla and fire Dodoro from it at that dumb ferris wheel down the freeway.

Last edited:
We'd be better off losing a lot of the dead wood at Essendon. Woosha and Harvey from the coaching staff. Doc Reid. And Dodoro. Basically anyone who has come to embrace and tolerate the mediocrity at this club.

Dodoro can pick good players but he has never managed to construct a good team. He has created lists that have consistently failed under a variety of coaches. If we sacked him tomorrow would clubs be lining up for his services? I doubt it.

We'd be better off losing a lot of the dead wood at Essendon. Woosha and Harvey from the coaching staff. Doc Reid. And Dodoro. Basically anyone who has come to embrace and tolerate the mediocrity at this club.

Dodoro can pick good players but he has never managed to construct a good team. He has created lists that have consistently failed under a variety of coaches. If we sacked him tomorrow would clubs be lining up for his services? I doubt it.
Said the same in the autopsy. Gotta move all this old sh!t out.

I think this Dodoro guy made a big blue picking McGrath over Taranto... not that McGrath is a bad player but he doesn't seem like he will be a superstar looks like a guy that will always be a contributor.

Would be nice if we developed the list the way it is supposed to be used.

Why have we turned Laverde into a gimp chained to the goal square? Why let a complete dud like Baguley have the freedom to roam?

Ridley will have played 3 years and not reached double figures for AFL games played.

Langford left to struggle in the middle for 4 years.

Begley doesn't play middle. He plays the role that allows us to use Laverde in the gimp role.

Selecting Brown as a key forward to set standards squbbing contests.

I'm holding a new born typing from my phone so I can't go through all the examples of the way Worsfold's supremely f’ed up selection policies have stifiled the development of the list.

If I though Worsfold wasgetting 70% out of the list I would bring one of those cannons from the mornington peninsula to Tulla and fire Dodoro from it at that dumb ferris wheel down the freeway.

I wished I'd have kept tabs on who we brought in when we delisted players.
Hindsight is such a wonderful thing but i still don't know why we selected two flanker types within 3 picks of each other (Langford/Laverde) instead of utilising a pick on a more pressing need. We have continually picked flankers.

Dodoro has often identified ok talent, but the development has failed at the football club. My gripe with Dodo has been topping us up but we have not progressed as a football club.

Jesus, I could probably nail high draft picks.

That doesn’t seem overly hard

The key to list management is constructing and maintaining a winning team.

He hasn’t even won a god damn final.

"The teams Dodo has assembled over the the last 15 years have been constantly underperforming and missing more pieces than a secondhand Jigsaw puzzle".

"Lol you seriously can't blame the recruiter for that?" - Some of the logic in this thread.

I don't entirely blame Dodo for this team's problems. Lets take tonight and last week, Both Port and the Doggies were good at moving the ball and using numbers while Essendon players were looking rushed and unable to string a passage together with little composure. I don't think we can blame Dodo for that when the coaches spend six months working on skills before the season yet continue with the same rubbish playing style year after year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back