Discussion St Kilda, could be best in the comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at the club before GT and after GT. He is our best ever coach, he didn't have the best game plan no, but how much would we all give now for the Saints to play instinctive footy and kick it long to Roo and Kosi?

How much would we give to have as fit Gehrig, Hamill, Powell, Jones, Peckett and Thompson at our disposal you mean?

I think youll find Grant HAD our best chance for a flag and we didnt take it - Lyon is working with the leftovers.

BIG DIFFERENCE

I too felt GT stayed to long and should have realised (IF he had the clubs interest at heart ) that a position in football admin/contracts was his go.

The vision for our club was a shared one, not just Grant Thomas's.

The massive turnover of playing personnel after season 2000 included a few great draftees but mainly mature players. They (by virtue of being "mature") had a limited playing expectancy. The club planned for immediate improvement with the goal of sustained success. This sustained success to be attained through a youth policy.

Grant Thomas had many of the great names at our club playing for him, but to be truthful they were at either end of the age scale. When the mature recruits were at their best, our best draft recruits were 18 years old. When our draft recruits were old enough to carry the load, the mature recruits were past it.

There was a few times when we almost had a balance, but alas - injury ruined the moments ( I'm thinking 2005 as the ultimate example of this).

Rather than think of our existing player list as "leftovers" - please remember that this was the way it was always going to happen. These players are elite footballers not dregs and they are playing very evenly matched teams of elite footballers.

We need to give the young guys a game but at the same time fans are expecting to be playing finals this year. It's a difficult balance and I think Ross has done a good job.

Geary/Armitage are the future of our club and it's good to have seen them on the field even if not making a big impact yet.

I think the boys are feeling the fallout from a big preseason. It was a huge effort to get up and win the NAB cup like 6 months ago now.

Hopefully we have not forgotten how to beat Adelaide since snagging the night premiership and we can lock in our place in the finals.

I know this seems stupid, but if you think about it, at our best, no side in the comp can match us. If we play four quarters of the footy we played in the third quarter against Hawthorn, i don't think Geelong can match us. But we can't play four quarters of that, or even one. It's a real shame since our team always teases to be something great but falls short every time.

I have a theory for why we can't play four quarters. There are always going to be momentum swings in a game, and when we have it we're pretty good most of the time with our ball movement and our forwards stand up for us. But when we don't have the momentum, we go into our shell and play pissy footy, sort of like admitting defeat and trying to reduce the margin we lose by. We flood the backline our key forwards play around the middle of the ground and around half back so we can get it out. Once we do get out however, we have no targets to kick to, when Riewoldt has it in the middle of the ground he needs to kick to himself, if that's making sense. That's why a few times we had to kick to Milne at full foward. People were having a crack at Milne for doing some stupid things like trying to take that speckie, but what else can he do when he's so outsized? For the rest of the season we need to play direct footy and play to our strengths. Let's pray Lyon tell players about it because if we play footy like we have nothing to lose (ala Kangas and Hawks games) we can take anyone.

You have got to be absolutely kidding yourself. St.kilda arnt even close to geelong.Players at St.Kilda such as, Mcqualter, Gwilt, Rix, Blake, M.Gardiner, C.Gardnier, Birss King, Fiora. And then theres Milne, Dempster,L.Fisher,Schnider, Clarke brothers have yet to play a consistent season and havnt proven themselves at AFL level. All those players mentioned arnt even in the same callabar as Geelongs whole list. St.Kilda are probably one of the most overrated sides in the AFL.Theres Riewoldt and Hayes as i rate 2 stars at St.Kilda. Apart from that, Dal Santo is capable but has no defensive side to his game, Koschitzke will never be the player he should of, Mcgauire will never be the same after the club ruined him through injury as they did with Ball. I think St.Kilda need to get over themselves.

You have got to be absolutely kidding yourself. St.kilda arnt even close to geelong.Players at St.Kilda such as, Mcqualter, Gwilt, Rix, Blake, M.Gardiner, C.Gardnier, Birss King, Fiora. And then theres Milne, Dempster,L.Fisher,Schnider, Clarke brothers have yet to play a consistent season and havnt proven themselves at AFL level. All those players mentioned arnt even in the same callabar as Geelongs whole list. St.Kilda are probably one of the most overrated sides in the AFL.Theres Riewoldt and Hayes as i rate 2 stars at St.Kilda. Apart from that, Dal Santo is capable but has no defensive side to his game, Koschitzke will never be the player he should of, Mcgauire will never be the same after the club ruined him through injury as they did with Ball. I think St.Kilda need to get over themselves.

Thanks for your contribution.

You may, however, want to work on spelling, grammar and presentation of your postings.

And what is the weather like in Melborune ?

Yeah I hated when we deliberately broke Goose's leg :rolleyes:

Bought him back too early making him get stress fractures. St.Kilda dont know how to manager players, ruined ball, what was Milne doing still play on the weekend.

"Bought him back too early" How much did he cost?

"St.Kilda dont know how to manager players" This is a saving to avoid paying Ricky Nixon?

"ruined ball" Is this why we are kicking the ball a little poorly lately - that ball's no good!!!

"what was Milne doing still play on the weekend" Yeah we should've known he was going to get injured and not selected him.

UGG!!!

"Bought him back too early" How much did he cost?

"St.Kilda dont know how to manager players" This is a saving to avoid paying Ricky Nixon?

"ruined ball" Is this why we are kicking the ball a little poorly lately - that ball's no good!!!

"what was Milne doing still play on the weekend" Yeah we should've known he was going to get injured and not selected him.

UGG!!!

No you should have taken him off when he got injured

You have got to be absolutely kidding yourself. St.kilda arnt even close to geelong.Players at St.Kilda such as, Mcqualter, Gwilt, Rix, Blake, M.Gardiner, C.Gardnier, Birss King, Fiora. You're a w***er, McQualter is 22 and has reinvented himself as a tagger with great success, Black is a vyer handy unility, Birss was in good form and has not played in weeks for some reason, and King as a 28yo is doing well and developing our young stock. Gwilt, Rix, C Gardiner and Fiora are easy targeets for moronic un-knowledbagle supporters like youself. Ris doesnt even get a game anymore and the others are in and out. .. How does Fisher, Gram, Goddard, Montagna, Dempster, Gilbert, Jones, Harvey sound to you? CLUELESS TYPICAL MELBOURNE TWIT. And then theres Milne, Dempster,L.Fisher,Schnider, Clarke brothers have yet to play a consistent season and havnt proven themselves at AFL level. All those players mentioned arnt even in the same callabar as Geelongs whole list. St.Kilda are probably one of the most overrated sides in the AFL.Theres Riewoldt and Hayes as i rate 2 stars at St.Kilda. Apart from that, Dal Santo is capable but has no defensive side to his game, Koschitzke will never be the player he should of, Mcgauire will never be the same after the club ruined him through injury as they did with Ball. I think St.Kilda need to get over themselves.

?? We broke his leg?

Here i am thinking it was a freak accident, when all along it was the players who pinned him down and snapped it. They club didnt ask for complication you twit.

I'd run along if i were you, and take care of your pathetic, disgucting rabble of a club. You suck the AFL for everything it's got and then bleed the rich snobs who 'support' your team dry. Melbourne is a diagrace, you will never go anywhere, you have no money, and you will fold. And when you do, i will go down to whereever your dodgy home ground it, and take a leak and will have the grandest smile on my face.

And then, the other 15 clubs will fight over the 2 players you have on your list who actually have ability.

Bugger off, you pathetic piece of trash.

Bought him back too early making him get stress fractures. St.Kilda dont know how to manager players, ruined ball, what was Milne doing still play on the weekend.

Are you really this stupid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking about it and i dont think you could dispute it. If our core group of players ( Ball, DalSanto, Hayes, Rewoldt, Goddard, Kosi, Montagna, Baker, Hudgton,. Fisher, Gram, Milne) remained injury free for at least 2 seasons, then they all started to play to thier best together. We could easily be the best in the comp. Only Geelong has a list that goes that deep.
In the past 6 years since this crew got together, they have never strung 2 years together injury free. Every year 2 or 3 of the main group have always had bad injuries. Hayes and Goddard are just back this year off serious injuries, Kosi came back last year after 2-3 years of serious injury. This year Baker. 2 years ago it was Roo, Ball with his OP 2-3 years ago.
The main priority is to stay injury free for the remainder of this year and next year. Then 2010....who knows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back