Review St Kilda defeated Geelong Rd 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Still can't wipe the smile off my face.

Geary was amazing. Not just for the insight into his leadership, but for his positioning and use of the ball. Wrighty was instrumental with two clever goals, and despite getting obviously hurt early in the game, was still there at the final stages to burst through a tackle and break the lines. Hickey never stopped impacting the contest, with some great taps and some great follow up work.

Hearing that Brucey's having a quiet year compared to last - Maybe in terms of scoreboard, but not in terms of play. Take a look - he's copping what Roo copped for years - being manhandled by several defenders at every opportunity. It's what he does when he's not just the focal forward target that impresses me. His pressure, his chase, his grabs on the wing and his smashing tackles. In my opinion he's having a huge impact, it's just that other teams finally realise what a threat he is; and we now have several new and dangerous avenues to goal.

One last comment for the night - Gilbert cops a lot of flak but look at the last contest in the Geelong forward line with 15 seconds to go and see who makes the spoil.
He just should know he is not good enough to kick short to a contest in the back line. You could see Monty did not want to kick it to him. After he relented to his desperate pleas he immediately turned it over. He's got great marking, competing and strength over the ball, but he just has to play to his skills.

What a game . So so proud of our boys.
Special notes ....
Gresham - pick 14 !!!!!! Wow :D
Delaneys game - Hawkins 2 marks ( suck shit)
Acres - Last quarter :thumbsu:
Weller - leadership when things got hot .
Wright - unsettling pace around the contests
Ross - what can you say ? Pleasing!
Tommy Lee - his efforts to please the fans with photos and autographs with kind words and greetings while injured was outstanding and a true revealer of a fantastic club culture .

Anyone going to argue that rotating through the list doesn't create opportunity and hunger.

I know it was somewhat forced by injury.

However if you drop someone out of form, look at the hunger of the guys coming in.

Example Delaney and Wright.

It works both ways, keeps guys in the side honest, keeps guys just outside of the 22 in contention.

Did I mention Delaney and Wright were hungry?

The Jade Gresham Opposition Show Bag:

velocityms.jpg
G
hqdefault.jpg

Framed picture of your day:

pair_of_casts_large.jpg

I could get used to this winning feeling!! I'm watching the replay (again) and feel so bloody proud. An exciting glimpse into our near future. Hats off to Richo and the boys. Magnificent win!!

Gresh Rising Star nom this week surely!

Oh and Paddy. PAADDDDYYYYYY!! So much love for that bloke! :hearts: :D

I don't want to be that guy, because it was a great win by the boys.. But when are we going to get decent umpiring? Josh Bruce gets molested in marking contests every week and never gets a free kick.. Took a mark that he held onto for more than long enough in the 2nd quarter, if it wasn't a mark it def should of been a free kick. And then the last quarter Ruggles climbs all over him again and gets nothing.
Paddy gave away a free for a slight forearm in the back of Lonergan, yet up the other end Hawkins flat out pushes Gilbert out with his hand in the middle of Gilbert's back, and it's a mark to Hawkins..
Roberton, gives away a 50m penalty when nothing was there, gives Geelong a soft goal..
I'll admit Acres should have been caught holding the ball in the last quarter but that was genuinely the only free kick Geelong didn't get that they should have..

For Geelong and Selwood to complain about umps is a ****ing disgrace.

Missed watching it live due to a play I was doing but watched the score tick over on my phone backstage (rather nervously). Watching the replay at the moment and this is so bloody impressive!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like you to watch the replay and pay attention to centre bounces. When I say pay attention to centre bounces I don't mean watch Steven and Ross get clearances - I mean watch the mountain of work Dunstan did all night to stop Geelong guns' influence on the contest.

He does not deserve to cop that criticism. I think his fitness/body still needs work meaning his kicking gets lazy but generally its very good. He wasn't the only one to miss gettable shots. Another hopefully injury free preseason and we will see that side of his game improve.

Dunstan will end up rated like Daniel Kerr IMO

All the hype on Judd (Steven) and Cousins (Ross) types but for years nobody looked at Kerr and the blocks, knock ons, flick handballs etc he put in to set them up.

Take Dunstan out of the middle last night and Steven doesnt get free of Guthrie nearly as often.

I also love Acres work up forward early and downback late. Just goes missing for long periods of the game but that should come with time. One thing I will say is that he is not afraid of making a mistake and always picks the right choice. He just needs to clean up his execution on some of these riskier kicks, especially in such tight games.

Good umpiring so far but that fifty wasn't there.

Also I've been a big fan of Minch and backed him up when most on here wanted him to be dropped..
He showed tonight why he will be a good solid AFL player. Hard at it and composed with the footy. Need more blokes like him
That steal...

The Scott brothers are pathetic. Embarrassing post match press conference from Chris

watching the reply when the kick went against him. What a stooge. Does he get upset when we didn't get ours?

Biggest bunch of whingers. What's with Sellwood crying after the game to the umps?

A few bad calls... but they went both ways.

Hawkins should have been pinged but wasn't.

Paddy got nothing for the whack in the face. So many blocks on Bruce.

I'm not one for arguing that umps cost us games but that was a really shit effot IMO.

Wow. I thought he lacked composure, got caught and kicked it straight back to the cats.

This was addressed by Richo in the presser. Due to our players being knackered we were okay with conceding the ball outside 50 to keep all our players in the defensive 50. Acres had nothing to kick to but continually got the ball out of dangerous positions. The kick to Steven wasn't his fault either, Steveb fumbles it over the boundary.

Doggies fan but the mrs is a huge saints fan so I'm a flag waver during the bye. Awesome game guys.

Gresham looks legit and if there are any doubters about the carlisle + gresham for parish trade they should have been squashed last night.

Will also note that Billings reminds me a lot of Lachie Hunter from the bulldogs. Will be a good player just might need a bit more time like Lachie did.

Doggies fan but the mrs is a huge saints fan so I'm a flag waver during the bye. Awesome game guys.

Gresham looks legit and if there are any doubters about the carlisle + gresham for parish trade they should have been squashed last night.

Will also note that Billings reminds me a lot of Lachie Hunter from the bulldogs. Will be a good player just might need a bit more time like Lachie did.

Thanks but we never had a chance to get Parish. It's a common misconception.

The pick we traded actually netted Essendon Aaron Francis, not Parish. Parish was gone before "our" pick.

what I really liked about wright is that he has that great closing speed to apply pressure. Lonie has it, but Wright also makes his tackles stick.

I hope he gets to keep his spot all year subject to his form, and not simply be first dropped as soon as a higher pick is ready to play seniors.
He doesn't just make them stick, he makes them hurt. He's a hard bastard

Acres....last quarter he made an apparently "weak " handball as he was being tackled on the wing, ball went out and luckily not called deliberate. On the replay you can see that ahead there are six Handbaggers and a sole Saint (soal Saint?). That apparently incipid handball to get it out was the absolute only option, ecexuted perfectly and one more reason I am becoming a huge fan.

Exactly right I loved that he didn't just blaze and give it up which so many players in the league would've done..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back