Roast St Kilda robbed of home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Just the 2 MCG games this year.
Maybe they actually want to play there for some familiarity.
we requested it to be at the Docklands, where we played 14 games, same reason MCG tenants want theirs to be at the MCG

What is the point of familiarity if it increases your chance of losing, 55k at Docklands with mostly Saints fans would be a hell of a leg up, like it usually is for WA/SA teams, played 2 night games at the G this year, none during the day, if our only advantage is that we avoid a 1-hour flight, give us the flag already

Last edited:
we requested it to be at the Docklands, where we played 14 games, same reason MCG tenants want theirs to be at the MCG

What is the point of familiarity if it increases your chance of losing, 55k at Docklands with mostly Saints fans would be a hell of a leg up, like it usually is for WA/SA teams, played 2 night games at the G this year, none during the day, if our only advantage is that we avoid a 1-hour flight, give us the flag already

Fair enough, didn't realise they voiced a preference.

thats all well and good, but then they allow GWS to host at the showgrounds which holds 12 people, Suns will NEVER be forced to play at the Gabba, nor will Tasmania be moved because a sub 30k stadium is too small for an AFL final.

I'm so glad the MCG tenants will let the docklands clubs play a few more games at the G to help reduce some of the imbalances of the "MCG home of the finals" issue......................... as *en if
WTF are you on about? :rolleyes:

Your team is playing a knockout final at 3:20pm this Saturday at the MCG

It doesn't get much better than that... and you are having a sook about it ??!!??

Unbelievable!

Pathetic.

Yeah genuinely ****ed over here the Saints

They play at Marvel and I think they go in favourites where as the MCG not so much

Pretty ridiculous but I think the same thing happened to the Dogs v Adelaide a while back

Not sure how they justify a Geelong home final ever again
Cos geelong and the mcg are in different cities. The mcg is 5 km from docklands.

thats how they justify it. Cant believe this is not effing obvious?

plus they are playing an interstate team anyway. Its not like they are even playing an mcg team.

Just saw the finals fixture and St Kilda are playing GWS at the MCG. Wtf?
Game should be at Docklands as it's St Kilda's home ground.
It's not like any fans are going to get locked out at Docklands.

St Kilda hosting a home final at the MCG is akin to if Brisbane were made to host a home final at Carrara, if GWS were made to host a home final at the SCG or if Sydney were made to host a home final at Giants Stadium.

Do you think the Saints should be playing at Docklands?
Or do you think the AFL have made the right call?
Just like Geelong home finals, it’s put at the biggest venue to maximise crowd numbers. Weird I know as MCG won’t be full.

so you'd be wrapt to be sent to Docklands because some backdoor deal said so, hyperthetically speaking.
???
find it very amusing MCG tenants keep speaking of this "home of finals" but also sook because a fellow tenant has equal access to tickets, despite ladder position.
Which club is sooking?

I have only seen David King spruik the line that the higher ranked team "deserves" 75% of the tickets.

Why do people listen to that muppet?

Finals have always been designed as neutral games.
or would you rather give up 2 h/a games so that the 3 docklands tenants actually can semi-call it a home venue, we may as well call Optus our home ground because we play there as much as the MCG.
What?

I dont care where StK choose to play their home games during H&A season.

Comes finals - all you "earn" is a home state final if you finish in 1,2 or 5,6.

StK are getting a final in Victoria.
3 clubs in the comp are treated like trash
Agree with this

But IMHO it is actually the co-tenants who have fecked themselves over, then Marvel teams, then G teams.

Teams outside of Melbourne actually enjoy a proper home ground advantage, which is an obvious bias.

So EVERY club gets to play a home final at their home venue bar the Docklands tenants, explain how that is remotely fair

can't say I'm surprised by most responses, MCG clubs want their advantages and interstate sides will never be forced to a ground they play on twice a year at best, to host a home final.

can't have the small Melb clubs getting any advantage, even over a smaller interstate club
the entitled keep on being entitled
It’s disgusting.

It’s your home funking ground and you should play home finals there.

???

Which club is sooking?

I have only seen David King spruik the line that the higher ranked team "deserves" 75% of the tickets.

Why do people listen to that muppet?

Finals have always been designed as neutral games.

What?

I dont care where StK choose to play their home games during H&A season.

Comes finals - all you "earn" is a home state final if you finish in 1,2 or 5,6.

StK are getting a final in Victoria.

Agree with this

But IMHO it is actually the co-tenants who have fecked themselves over, then Marvel teams, then G teams.

Teams outside of Melbourne actually enjoy a proper home ground advantage, which is an obvious bias.
Finals designed as neutral games?

Son, you need to look at the dictionary definition of a neutral game,

Let me help:

<<<Oxford: sports A neutral ground or field is a sports stadium that does not belong to either of the two teams taking part in a competition or game: UK The final will, of course, be played at a neutral ground. US The Superbowl always takes place on a neutral field. The final will be played at a neutral venue.

Glossary of Football Vocabulary (Soccer) - UsingEnglish.com

A stadium that is not the home ground of either side, used because there has been crowd violence or because the political situation makes it impossible to play in one of the home grounds.

Cambridge:

sports A neutral ground or field is a sportsstadium that does not belong to either of the two teams taking part in a competition or game:

UK The final will, of course, be played at a neutral ground.

US The Superbowl always takes place on a neutral field.

Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

A NEUTRAL VENUE is a Sporting Venue which is not the Home Ground of Any Of the Playing Teams.

For Example - UEFA CL Final was at a NEUTRAL VENUE because it was neither played at Old Trafford nor at Camp Nou. It was played at WEMBLEY and it was a Neutral Venue.>>>

Finals designed as neutral games?

Son, you need to look at the dictionary definition of a neutral game,

Let me help:

<<<Oxford: sports A neutral ground or field is a sports stadium that does not belong to either of the two teams taking part in a competition or game: UK The final will, of course, be played at a neutral ground. US The Superbowl always takes place on a neutral field. The final will be played at a neutral venue.

Glossary of Football Vocabulary (Soccer) - UsingEnglish.com

A stadium that is not the home ground of either side, used because there has been crowd violence or because the political situation makes it impossible to play in one of the home grounds.

Cambridge:

sports A neutral ground or field is a sportsstadium that does not belong to either of the two teams taking part in a competition or game:

UK The final will, of course, be played at a neutral ground.

US The Superbowl always takes place on a neutral field.

Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

A NEUTRAL VENUE is a Sporting Venue which is not the Home Ground of Any Of the Playing Teams.

For Example - UEFA CL Final was at a NEUTRAL VENUE because it was neither played at Old Trafford nor at Camp Nou. It was played at WEMBLEY and it was a Neutral Venue.>>>
I think by neutral he means a venue that isn't Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time U requested a Marvel final you lost anyway.

I doubt Ross cares if Marvel or MCG.

Point is you don't have to travel and will have a huge fan advantage.

It is what it is but I think all VIC Teams should be hosting 3-4 games at the MCG every season if this is going to happen. We have played there TWICE this season, with one of those technically away. We have to be playing there more, if this is where we are playing home finals if we make it...

It is what it is but I think all VIC Teams should be hosting 3-4 games at the MCG every season if this is going to happen. We have played there TWICE this season, with one of those technically away. We have to be playing there more, if this is where we are playing home finals if we make it...
Why?

For 100 years the Saints played their home games at multiple ovals across Melbourne.

Come finals time, they were played at the G.

Finals are not meant to be home games...they are meant to be league controlled blockbusters.

The MCG is a bog average stadium. Not even the best in Australia.
Actually only 1/3 of the ground is outdated - the Shane Warne / Great Southern Stand desperately needs to be replaced.

As a Bulldog member I understand the push for Marvel Stadium tenants to play finals against minnow teams at Marvel.

However I much prefer that Victorian teams play their finals at the MCG as it doesn't restrict attendance for the general public, and boosts crowd numbers with MCC and AFL Members able to attend in large numbers. Both of those facts leads to finals crowds being larger, and the atmosphere at games better, when finals are played at the MCG.

To back this up, ticket sales for the St Kilda game are flying - only scattered singles remain at ground level and level 4 in the SWS/GSS (M1 & M31, Q9-Q12), and most of the tickets that remain are behind the goals in the nosebleed sections (Q1-Q7, Q29-Q36).

1693444756695.png

Why?

For 100 years the Saints played their home games at multiple ovals across Melbourne.

Come finals time, they were played at the G.

Finals are not meant to be home games...they are meant to be league controlled blockbusters.
home games for some but not others
$ more important than fairness
it will change but not yet

100% agree with this. All Victorian teams should play a minimum of 2 home games and 2 away games at the MCG. It is crazy that there are clubs based outside Victoria that play more often at the MCG than some of the clubs based at Docklands.

Docklands has hosted a few finals. Biggest travesty was forcing Hawthorn to host there twice with a combined number of 1 home game at that stadium across 2 years. At least St Kilda has hosted one game at the MCG this year and Geelong always have a few home games at the MCG.

2000 - Geelong v Hawthorn. Geelong hosted 4 games at docklands so not too bad
2001 - Hawthorn v Sydney. Hawks only hosted one game at docklands for the whole year
2002 - Essendon v West Coast. Only one game at the MCG but fair enough for Essendon
2005 - North v Port. Fair enough
2007 - Hawthorn v Adelaide. Did not host a single game at docklands all year yet had to host a final there.
2011 - St Kilda v Sydney. Fair enough
I remember Geelong playing North there in a final, or I could be imagining things

It's a catch 22.

If we play better we'll draw crowds and justifiably have games moved to the MCG more often.

Seeing as we rarely sell out Docklands it's hard to see why the AFL would want to give us games at the MCG - there is usually another game in the round hosted by a team that will draw a larger crowd there.

It's a hole we have to dig ourselves out of unfortunately. Same for the other Docklands tenants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back