News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

On this particular point - it appears we're going backwards at a rate of knots, NSW has produced better high end draft picks than WA has in recent years, which is a concern in itself. o_O

We've produced three of the standout juniors in the country in recent years in O'Meara, Hogan and Martin. I think they get overlooked sometimes because of the minidraft, but they would have all been #1 or #2 picks.

Didnt we have a smaller year 12 cohort last year due to the changes to the age enrolment in 2001?

But don't complain if there is a levy on tickets in the future to fund the development level of football as a consequence of this decision.

But there was already a levy on tickets to fund the WAFC - their profit for managing Subi has to come from somewhere. And if it wasn't coming from AFL games it was certainly coming from other events that were held there.

But weren't they given a commitment by the WA Government that they'd be no worse off?

Maybe. I guess that relates to the vague promise of some additional Government funding.

My view is the Government is responsible to the owners of the stadium - taxpayers - not to football. Football is one of many sports competing for Government funding. I get that this is their way of putting forward their case, but at the moment they're behaving like a spoilt brat, as Mark Duffield said in today's West.

I dont think the FFC and WCE as well as the junior development pathways have much to worry about.
The government will make sure the money is flowing thick and fast into these areas. Reason being they have a direct impact on the performance of the stadium.

Major concerns I have is with the WAFL, WAAFL and Country football.

The government have shown quite clearly that they would rather deal with the AFL commision than the WAFC.
How long will it be till the state government consider the WAFC a burden on the books and sell the administration of the game in WA to the AFL.
Much easier to direct the revenue from the stadium to the AFL who can then administer the game.

If the AFL were to take control of the game in WA then the WAFL as a competition would probably cease to exist.
Why would the AFL direct money to a league that is in competition with them?
Wwhy would they have the WAFL clubs run junior development when they can set up an U'18s system like they have in Victoria?
In Victoria the only clubs in the VFL that can survive without an alignment are the ones that have gaming revenue, something no WA club will ever be able to have.
With the money drying up and junior development taken out of their hands how will the WAFL clubs survive.

Now some will say the WAFL clubs have done a poor job in regards to junior development which I think is unfair.
In the last ten years we have won State Championships and behind Victoria produced the most draftees.
Also WAFL clubs have an interest in the development of all Juniors in their district not just the ones who will play AFL.

In regards to WAAFL and Country Football, why would the AFL have any interest in supporting senior community football.
Sure they will pay it lip service but in terms of funding it will be non existent.
Whilst they are generally self sufficient, the administration of these leagues is maintained by the WAFC.
With no administration who will run senior community football in the state, the government??
If the Dept of Sport and Rec take control it may survive albeit in a very different manner.

I know this may not eventuate and the State Government may continue to ensure the WAFC's viability but forgive me for not having faith in the word of any government.
Add women's football to that. With the AFL pushing for a woman's comp the WAFC is in charge of all the development in that area. As one of the huge areas for growth (and mothers who like football are likely to have children who play football) . And gives girls a hope for a professional sports career eventually!

The state government needs to answer the questions about funding for grass roots football. Until they do the decision look bad for football (not the AFL level) in WA

I find it interesting that people are more concerned about their burger at the footy rather than the future of the game.

Add women's football to that. With the AFL pushing for a woman's comp the WAFC is in charge of all the development in that area. As one of the huge areas for growth (and mothers who like football are likely to have children who play football) . And gives girls a hope for a professional sports career eventually!

If the AFL establish a womens league then they will ensure there is a strong girls development program in place.
Where the funding for womens football could dry up is in regards to local senior womens football.

My view is the Government is responsible to the owners of the stadium - taxpayers - not to football. Football is one of many sports competing for Government funding. I get that this is their way of putting forward their case, but at the moment they're behaving like a spoilt brat, as Mark Duffield said in today's West.

Seeing football will be responsible for to close to 75 per cent of revenue that comes into the stadium, surely it should be entitled to some say.

This has been nothing more than a power grab by the state government to eliminate the WAFC in its current setup.

How much of the club income is from the draft payment they get when one of their colts is picked up?

A WAFL club gets around $10,000 for a player that is drafted. It goes directly into said WAFL club's development program.

Why should WAFC benefit greatly from this? They get plenty income and entitlements from the Freo/WCE licenses as well as training/hosting games. State football has long been struggling ever since WCE came into the AFL. It's not either teams in the league fault, WAFC are just as responsible for investing in the game, and have been given a dream run from Subiaco Oval. The facilities/management of the stadium is poor, wouldn't be suitable to do so in a brand new stadium. There are other sports in the state and it's high time WAFC receive less entilements/profits for little benefit. Feel no sympathy whatsoever towards the commission. It's time for a fresh start, and both teams should buy their licenses.

Why should WAFC benefit greatly from this? They get plenty income and entitlements from the Freo/WCE licenses as well as training/hosting games. State football has long been struggling ever since WCE came into the AFL. It's not either teams in the league fault, WAFC are just as responsible for investing in the game, and have been given a dream run from Subiaco Oval. The facilities/management of the stadium is poor, wouldn't be suitable to do so in a brand new stadium. There are other sports in the state and it's high time WAFC receive less entilements/profits for little benefit. Feel no sympathy whatsoever towards the commission. It's time for a fresh start, and both teams should buy their licenses.

West Coast could do it maybe, but the WAFC will value the licenses astronomically.

Don't think we have the reserves to do it.

Last edited:
The AFL will not allow the licences to go back to WCE/FFC,

Just remember the WAFC is made up of stakeholders, one of which is the FFC as well as WCE and the 9 WAFL clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing football will be responsible for to close to 75 per cent of revenue that comes into the stadium, surely it should be entitled to some say.

This has been nothing more than a power grab by the state government to eliminate the WAFC in its current setup.

Which is fair enough by me.

The WAFC has have a good run, they got gifted the land on a long term lease, and most of the redevelopments over the years have been given funding assistance through State or Federal grants. For a brand new billion dollar stadium that gravy train has to end, and the state government has to retain ownership and control over it, and make sure it gets used to the maximum.

I'm a footy fan, but I'm also a taxpayer, and a fan of big music concerts, and a fan of T20 cricket. I look forward to going to the stadium for more than just the footy.

Sat there listening to 882 last night and reading the views of a number of people here and anyone would think that the Sky is falling.
The part that people seem to be missing is that the WAFL still holds the golden tickets. Two of them. As the owners of the WCE and Freo they still get to negotiate with the stadium controllers.
To me the overnight hissy fit is a bit like the kid who owns the bat crying and running home after he was fairly dismissed just because he doesn't want to field or bowl. Lets be honest the WAFC had a chance to win the rights to stadium and like all their efforts to manage the stadium in the past, failed so badly they weren't in the top 2.
Today on the radio we hear that they couldn't even keep Subi in good repair and had to get repeated loans (worth 100's of millions) from the state governments through the 90's. Which they continuously had problems repaying. The biggest surprise is that when the government said that it would go with a tender process, the WAFC had no plan B. That's negligence in my book.
Personally, when I look at this situation. I see a commission who still get to negotiate with the stadium. A guarantee that the government will continue to prop up the WAFC. A stadium that will attract other events that don't have to pay a WAFL tax. A new stadium with increase capacity delivered on time (wow). A generally happy public. A happy government. And a small little board somewhere that is all pissy that they don't get to control the states (yes we paid for it not the AFL or the WAFL) stadium.

Which is fair enough by me.

The WAFC has have a good run, they got gifted the land on a long term lease, and most of the redevelopments over the years have been given funding assistance through State or Federal grants. For a brand new billion dollar stadium that gravy train has to end, and the state government has to retain ownership and control over it, and make sure it gets used to the maximum.

I'm a footy fan, but I'm also a taxpayer, and a fan of big music concerts, and a fan of T20 cricket. I look forward to going to the stadium for more than just the footy.

The WAFC are not against our club, we are the WAFC.

What do you think will happen if the AFL get their hands on our licences or DSR become responisble for football revenue.
Do you really think football will be better off.

I dont really care who runs the stadium, what I am worried about is the distribution of revenue being placed in the hands of people who do not have the best interests of WA football at heart.

I still want the licenses handed back to the clubs, and the AFL to make up the funding difference to the WAFC.

**** paying money from our club to the WAFC for no benefit.
Yep no draftees, no kids playing football becoming supporters, no place for the non selected players to develop in the WAFL. No benefit from the WAFC at all. The AFL do this in the rest of Australia bu WA and SA look after themselves.Lets hand it back to the AFL. I'm sure they will looking after WA interests.

Like McHenry said today I'm not against the agreement if it guarantees that football is adequately funded and not wosre off because of the decision. But it makes it very difficult to achieve that aim.

Maybe the state govt gives money directly to the WAFC. Taxpayers pay and the stadium profits go to Sydney.

For years there were tin-rattlers outside the ground getting donations for junior footy and outside supermarkets all over the state.
Hopefully the new arrangement provides a guaranteed and sufficient revenue stream that we don't see the tin rattlers again.
No one could have faith that politicians have the will or nous to keep up with private enterprise in negotiation but the government has not signed off on anything yet and are still keeping at least one of the other players in the game as a backstop should an acceptable deal with Stadium Australia not eventuate.
Basically they have made the most attractive and viable tender and now they'll iron out the nuts and bolts before sealing the deal.

The Premier said the Government would ensure that the West Australian Football Commission (WAFC) would have a stream of revenue to continue to manage, support and grow local football at the WAFL and community level.

Sport and Recreation Minister Mia Davies said AEG Ogden was also approved as reserve respondent, in the event the State Government could not conclude negotiations with Stadium Australia Operations.

"This decision is the result of 12 months of work since the government first called for Expressions of Interest," she said.

"A detailed brief was prepared which was responded to by the shortlisted applicants over almost three months, culminating in a three-month review and evaluation by a panel of senior government officials – supported by a range of independent technical advisors.

"Ultimately the team determined that Stadium Australia Operations' bid represented the best value for money. A key feature of the bid was the depth and breadth of proposed events to be held at Perth Stadium and the strategies to secure them."

Yep no draftees, no kids playing football becoming supporters, no place for the non selected players to develop in the WAFL. No benefit from the WAFC at all. The AFL do this in the rest of Australia bu WA and SA look after themselves.Lets hand it back to the AFL. I'm sure they will looking after WA interests.

You're smarter than that.

We and West Coast put in money for no DIRECT benefit.

Collingwood etc put in * all and get the same access to players.
Why is that good for our club? Sydney put in money for academy and get players. What do we get?

Last edited:
Yeah good luck.
It's what should happen for all the money we pump in, but they won't allow it.

They're happy for us to put our money in and help pay for development here. Their heads will explode if we demand priority player access

Who do you think should pay for player development in this state?

The fact is if the AFL take control we wont have to pay any money towards football development.
Reason being our income from the stadium will go direct to the AFL who will look after player development.
Though wont it be great to have the AFL decide how much each WA AFL team recieves.

Who do you think should pay for player development in this state?

The fact is if the AFL take control we wont have to pay any money towards football development.
Reason being our income from the stadium will go direct to the AFL who will look after player development.
Though wont it be great to have the AFL decide how much each WA AFL team recieves.

The AFL should pay for it, as they do elsewhere...who controls it is a different story.
The money from the stadium that isn't memberships (ie walk ups) goes to the AFL now. Why would that change?
The AFL decides already how much each club receives through the annual distribution
What's clear is that Fremantle and West Coast shouldn't pay for it, unless there is a direct return.
It's a burden on our clubs that Victorian clubs don't pay. and for a club that turns a 300k profit most years, we don't have heaps to play with...

The AFL should pay for it, as they do elsewhere...who controls it is a different story.
The money from the stadium that isn't memberships (ie walk ups) goes to the AFL now. Why would that change?
The AFL decides already how much each club receives through the annual distribution
What's clear is that Fremantle and West Coast shouldn't pay for it, unless there is a direct return.
It's a burden on our clubs that Victorian clubs don't pay. and for a club that turns a 300k profit most years, we don't have heaps to play with...

The Victorian clubs still have to pay for game development in Victoria. The AFL own the licences of all the Victorian teams.

Whatever model there is we will be paying for it someway or another.

If the AFL take over from the WAFC then the AFL will take all stadium revenue after stadium australia get there share.
They will then decide who gets what money from whats left. Out of this will come the money for game development.
We will still get our membership revenue but there will be little left for us and even less for local football.
Heaven forbid if we get shafted on the stadium deal, oh and who is on Stadium Australia's board - The chairman of the AFL, lets hope to god he wears his AFL hat.

The state government running the game is a better option than the AFL but what would happen if they decide football is no longer a priority.
Plus have you ever tried getting money out of the government.

The question is do you really trust the AFL to have the best interests of our team at heart. I am not saying the WAFC is perfect and they were horrible towards us when we were struggling. That being said they have an interest in WA only not the entire country.
But at least we will have decent food haha - you know it will still be the same generic crap you get at domain now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back