Autopsy Started off 2024 in style terrific hard fought win against Melbourne by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I was fascinated by Grundy's technique in the centre bounce.

The moment the umpire started the bounce motion, he sprinted staright over to Gawn & blocked him from getting a running leap.

They both jumped from the same side of the ball.

Expect to see the AFL outlaw the technique shortly, as it'll doubtless have Vic clubs whining about it.
I doubt he'll do it much against other rucks. In his interview with Fox, Grundy said it was a team effort to be physical to Gawn to wear him down

I'm probably a bit rough on Armatey. But he's nearly 25 & across his career to date averages:

7 disposals
1 goal

At some point (pretty soon), he needs to start to contribute a bit more than that.

Injuries certainly haven't helped, but I think the jury is still out on whether he's actually AFL standard.
I get that, but there's a lot of lost time there. Moreso than McLean, who had long stretches of little impact and quieter reserves form than Amartey, yet in just the 2nd half of last year really solidified a spot, picked up his impact.

I'm sure this'll be popular but Jordon felt like a bit of a spare part with Lloyd, McInerney & Campbell on the wing. He got better as the game went on but I doubt we'd miss him if he wasn't in the team.

I just think that forward half pressure is absolutely non-negotiable, so Wicks has to be in the team.
I know we didn't really use him on the inside much, but I'd be hesitant to drop him given our midfield stocks. Yeah, we could make him sub, but probably wouldn't after 1 game, when Heeney might not have the same impact every week.

I know we didn't really use him on the inside much, but I'd be hesitant to drop him given our midfield stocks. Yeah, we could make him sub, but probably wouldn't after 1 game, when Heeney might not have the same impact every week.
Perhaps, but I thought Rowbottom, Warner & Gulden were all below their usual standards, so if Heeney fades there's plenty to pick up the slack.

This of course is under the assumption that Horse wants to keep Amartey in. If he doesn't, then Jordon stays and everything's fine, just means we run a shorter forward line. Given Horse's tendency towards the three talls though, it does feel like he'll persist with it. I kind of hope he does - hard to judge them off the last two matches.

Perhaps, but I thought Rowbottom, Warner & Gulden were all below their usual standards, so if Heeney fades there's plenty to pick up the slack.

This of course is under the assumption that Horse wants to keep Amartey in. If he doesn't, then Jordon stays and everything's fine, just means we run a shorter forward line. Given Horse's tendency towards the three talls though, it does feel like he'll persist with it. I kind of hope he does - hard to judge them off the last two matches.
I do agree that Jordon is the most likely if Wicks comes in, given our love of 3 KPFs. Just considering the opposition.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past us to go unchanged. Wicks staying as sub...

I'm sure this'll be popular but Jordon felt like a bit of a spare part with Lloyd, McInerney & Campbell on the wing. He got better as the game went on but I doubt we'd miss him if he wasn't in the team.

I just think that forward half pressure is absolutely non-negotiable, so Wicks has to be in the team.
Actually I thought Jordan very good in the second half. His first half was forgettable. I think that is understandable seeing he was playing against his old side. There would have been a lot of psychological stuff to get through. Then there is the fact they know how he plays.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has Roberts done enough to keep his spot for next week?

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, we obviously trust him, he played 84% TOG (7th), didn't do much wrong.

That said, we may rotate him a bit to not overload any of the younger guys. But it's been 1 week and we have an early bye anyway.

I do agree that Jordon is the most likely if Wicks comes in, given our love of 3 KPFs. Just considering the opposition.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past us to go unchanged. Wicks staying as sub...
With apologies to Donza (this will likely result in a demarcation dispute) - the early forecast for Friday is showers.

3 talls & no Wicks on a wet night? Surely not.

He played inside in the second half & was much better. He had 5 disposals at half time & ended up with 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With apologies to Donza (this will likely result in a demarcation dispute) - the early forecast for Friday is showers.

3 talls & no Wicks on a wet night? Surely not.
Yeah. On a night where we know the ball is slippery and the oppo doesn't have a big backline, we'd definitely go for the smaller, pressure option.

Oh wait.

Yeah, we obviously trust him, he played 84% TOG (7th), didn't do much wrong.

That said, we may rotate him a bit to not overload any of the younger guys. But it's been 1 week and we have an early bye anyway.
He was good. His disposal was good. His kick ins were Blakey like. His tackling was vice like. I like him a lot.

Actually I thought Jordan very good in the second half. His first half was forgettable. I think that is understandable seeing he was playing against his old side. There would have been a lot of psychological stuff to get through. Then there is the fact they know how he plays.

I didn't mind his game at all. I was saying maybe he'd be vulnerable if we wanted to bring Wicks in but also play the three talls. I feel like Wicks is more important than Jordon at this point. Evidently Horse & co don't agree.

Robbie Fox was nowhere near our best but being at the ground helped me see how hard he was working as the high half forward runner type that bedford accurately forecasted he would be. His running is quite something to watch live. A couple of shots at goal and some quality tackles made it a good first game in the role for a guy I’ve always been very fond of. Wholehearted and tireless worker of a player that every club needs.
and this took the pressure of Hayward who normally plays that role, enabling Hayward to be not so tired and kick some goals.

There aren't many that can tackle Petracca.

Rowy never missed.

He's become 2nd only to Errol in terms of "please please pleeeeeeease announced he's re-signed".
I have no idea how he does it.
He is lightly built but has some kind of ninja, zen, jujutsu thing going on.

Jordon or Campbell. The only other option is Fox. Tough call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back