Player Watch Stefan Martin and team success

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Broad just won in his 50th on the weekend which gave him a 40-10 record for an 80% winning record. Best in the AFL for 50+ games.

The start of Selwood's career was insane, went at something like 90% and 3 flags before it started to drop.

Bit harsh on Melo, didn't he nearly drag the Nuggs to the Finals one year?

Hard to find an NBA equivalent really, given how frequently players get traded (or stars on crap teams force a trade) and how easy it is to make the playoffs. The likes of Boogie Cousins and Karl-Anthony Towns seem to make it there eventually.

In Martin's case maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought he seemed pretty fortunate to still be in the AFL after an underwhelming stint with the Dees and then a couple of mediocre seasons with Brisbane. Then the penny dropped, he became a gun and has been for a while now. But there were times when it seemed more fortunate for him that he was on the list for a cellar dweller: it meant that he got a game basically.

Harsh maybe but Melo is a perennial all star, former scoring leader etc. One conference finals appearance in 15 years isn't great.

Martin didn't do much with Melbourne. I remember him playing one year as second ruck to Jamar and in defence a bit. Most years he didn't play much at all. Injured in his first year at Brisbane then was suddenly a pretty good ruck. At 199cm he's not that tall for a ruck and be doesn't have a huge leap but he's strong and competes well around the ground.

Bit harsh on Melo, didn't he nearly drag the Nuggs to the Finals one year?

Hard to find an NBA equivalent really, given how frequently players get traded (or stars on crap teams force a trade) and how easy it is to make the playoffs. The likes of Boogie Cousins and Karl-Anthony Towns seem to make it there eventually.

In Martin's case maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought he seemed pretty fortunate to still be in the AFL after an underwhelming stint with the Dees and then a couple of mediocre seasons with Brisbane. Then the penny dropped, he became a gun and has been for a while now. But there were times when it seemed more fortunate for him that he was on the list for a cellar dweller: it meant that he got a game basically.
From memory it was a bit of luck with our other rucks (Leuenberger?) getting injured which lead to him getting a run in the team and it all clicking

What current players are on the other end of the spectrum? Assuming some Geelong, Sydney and Hawks players would look alright for a W/L point of view

I know Trav Varcoe had a ridiculous win-loss record when he left Geelong. Might have cooled a bit at Collingwood, but he's been very much a "right place, right time" for a guy who has averaged just 13-14 disposals, 3-4 tackles and less than a goal a game over his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back