Universal Love Steve Johnson "The cat with the giant story"

Any one going to the book reading?

• Yes

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I'm already sick of Jack Watts and power jokes.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I never warmed to Chappy. Seemed a bit of a flog, and not in a fun way like Stevie J.

I try to avoid going down the path of having to embrace the person ... its the on field character that its critical. Otherwize..do I stop enjoying music or films or sport made by people who make personal choices that are repugnant to my taste. Have a look at this week.. do I stop enjoying "The Usual Suspects" or "Kung Fu Panda" ?... Gees Rainman would really be in trouble.

Of course there are lines , as there are in most things ...The "Hey" song or "Do you wanna Touch" by Gary Glitter rightly gets little air play these days...

but "flog" is no where near it for me. In someways the whole concept of an elite sportsman almost requires such a personality of risk engagement , and excess self confidence ..look at the odds of success.

I got the impression that SJ was satisfied with a loss so long as he did well. Chappy hated losing whether he played well or not. Both highly competitive and supremely confident but Chappy was much more reliable than the crazy brilliant SJ.

If I had to choose one of them over the other Chappy wins fairly easily.

EDIT:

Fortunately we didn't have to chose and could enjoy them both.

Last edited:
I got the impression that SJ was satisfied with a loss so long as he did well. Chappy hated losing whether he played well or not. Both highly competitive and supremely confident but Chappy was much more reliable than the crazy brilliant SJ.

EDIT:

Same; if forced to choose, I'm a Chapman man.
Johnson as uniquely creative and constructive as any forward I've ever seen at Geelong bar Snr; Chapman made the game look very simple at times; was not flashy but very effective.

You can argue stats and all that but ultimately it comes down to personal preference and I loved what Chapman was able to produce for the club pre-2007 breakthrough; he was a shining light and flew the proverbial flag. Fitting that he played a very big role in securing our drought-breaking premiership in '07, too.

I would have both in my all-time Geelong 22, easily.

SJ forgot mention that him costing us the game against St Kilda that resulted in a draw because of his sheer stupidity is probably what stamped his papers.

How can you say such things when we select Blicavs and Stanley for AFL games.

To put it in perspective. Post me one clip of Blicavs having a running shot at goal. At least Stevie J could do stuff.

EDIT:

and that is based on what exactly? Sjs performance in the 11 grand final was phenomenal. when pies got to three goals in front and looking like they were going to runaway with it, it was one legged johnson who set a goal up out of nothing and then kicked another goal after that from outside fifty to stem the tide and get us back into it late in the second. Not chappy who did very little that day. Chappy had his times to. They both have numerous examples but Johnson probably has slightly more (2007 prelim another obvious one where johnson rose in both the second and start of the last when the pies were challenging us the most). Cant see how you could say one is a competitive beast and the other isnt? is it because of their looks? grimaces? running style? bald hair looks competitive?

would our current match comittee get rid of sj and chappy in their primes?

both ordinary tacklers and both very ordinary at covering space.

sure they were huge competitive beasts in winning the ball and setting up and kicking goals. but they were ordinary in apparently what matters today. tackles and covering space.

would our current match comittee get rid of sj and chappy in their primes?

both ordinary tacklers and both very ordinary at covering space.

sure they were huge competitive beasts in winning the ball and setting up and kicking goals. but they were ordinary in apparently what matters today. tackles and covering space.

Cowan was good at covering space apparently. Was talked up endlessly as if that was his superpower. I'm still stunned that he was delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan was good at covering space apparently. Was talked up endlessly as if that was his superpower. I'm still stunned that he was delisted.
Cowan, Vardy and a couple of high profile imports did a great job of covering space over an extended period on our side of the boundary line.:D

and that is based on what exactly? Sjs performance in the 11 grand final was phenomenal. when pies got to three goals in front and looking like they were going to runaway with it, it was one legged johnson who set a goal up out of nothing and then kicked another goal after that from outside fifty to stem the tide and get us back into it late in the second. Not chappy who did very little that day. Chappy had his times to. They both have numerous examples but Johnson probably has slightly more (2007 prelim another obvious one where johnson rose in both the second and start of the last when the pies were challenging us the most). Cant see how you could say one is a competitive beast and the other isnt? is it because of their looks? grimaces? running style? bald hair looks competitive?

The version of the 2011 GF that I watched showed Chapman (with Bartel) being super effective in the packs from halfway through the second quarter through to the end of the third. Helped us big time in getting back into the game.

It's based on their respective careers viewed by me in person at the ground 18 or so times per year. It is NOT based on a single game or two FFS

Last edited:

kersten was great at the 1 percenters. it didnt matter if he was taking marks or kicking goals, he was in the team for his 1 percenters,this was his superpower

personally as a superpower, id rather have the ability to see through womens clothes, but each to his own

Back