Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAthlete

Senior List
Aug 23, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey legends I wanted to appeal to the great cat intelligence and resources we have on this board. For a long time I have been thinking of writing a documentary about the life and career of Steve Johnson. IF anyone loves the ESPN emotive docos I think Stevie would be absolutely perfect for it. Such an up and down tale of redemption with so many back stories and dramas Days of our lives wouldn't be game to write it.

To that end I am looking at getting my hands on as many resources as I can to put it together. I still need to speak to the great man and a couple of others before I get the all clear but want to make a preview for pitching purposes.

I open the preview/doco with the injury in the 2011 prelim final and them him walking back up the race to the cheers of the MCG fans cause I have a clip of him saying its one of his bets moments in footy and it perfectly captures the drama that always seemed to swirl around him. The idea is show the injury then quick interview clips and newspaper headlines covering his tumultuous career. Then cut to him walking up the race to the tune of Sympathy for the Devil. "please allow me to introduce myself etc etc.

So I was hoping people might have access to the prelim game in a format they could send me and also potentially the footage of the choppers filming his fitness test on the Friday although I suspect I might need to go to 7 to see if they still have stock footage of that. Also any footage of him talking about hiding the ice from Scott or Scott talking about it. Just any interviews about that race to be fit and all the drama.

Then after the first 3 or 4 minutes cut back to 07 and how it almost ended before it even began and start the doco from there.

So I would love any help I can get from the Cat family. Any suggestions about how to make it emotive and entertaining. Just anything really. The wisdom and passion on here is so amazing and that's what I want to bleed through the screen. Any cool Stevie stories as well even if they might be apocryphal.

Ok rant over but feel free to comment suggest help or get involved in any way you want.

Sorry I forgot to say my working titles are "Welcome to the Show" in honour of Campbell Brown or "The J Curve" in honour of how he literally changed the game and the way it is played today.

Start with a bloke running down an alley in Wang or where it was after jumping over a fence and cracking his ankle....

Then cut to training and how its 4 times the size it should be...

And go from there... cutting to 2011 GF when he takes the ball outta Tomma's hands and snaps that goal in the last to break the Pies spirit and show Eddie getting all depressed and red......

And you have to add the class of the goal V the Demons at KP when we cricket scored them and he got on the end of the ball that Boris and Jimmy saved in the back pocket at KP ( Dean Bailey coach killer game) that SJ ended up kicking across the body from 35 running across the goals to make it harder.

Just my 2c

GO Catters

Start with a bloke running down an alley in Wang or where it was after jumping over a fence and cracking his ankle....

Then cut to training and how its 4 times the size it should be...

And go from there... cutting to 2011 GF when he takes the ball outta Tomma's hands and snaps that goal in the last to break the Pies spirit and show Eddie getting all depressed and red......

And you have to add the class of the goal V the Demons at KP when we cricket scored them and he got on the end of the ball that Boris and Jimmy saved in the back pocket at KP ( Dean Bailey coach killer game) that SJ ended up kicking across the body from 35 running across the goals to make it harder.

Just my 2c

GO Catters

Thanks they are some awesome ideas. I have tossed up telling the story from the ankles but don't want it just to essentially go from start to finish but who knows I might play around with your idea to open it and see how it looks. Other thing is I don't really want to go with re-enactments so lot to think about but thanks again for the great feedback

Thanks they are some awesome ideas. I have tossed up telling the story from the ankles but don't want it just to essentially go from start to finish but who knows I might play around with your idea to open it and see how it looks. Other thing is I don't really want to go with re-enactments so lot to think about but thanks again for the great feedback
i just referred the ankles part to highlight how far out the door he was in both his mindset and the club's position with him (failing the Pies Medical as well based on said ankles - i might be wrong there but i recall he as on the trading block and he failed something with them) and then to contrast how much he worked to get back and earn trust and his natural ability and how it served him in his career.

GO Catters

i just referred the ankles part to highlight how far out the door he was in both his mindset and the club's position with him (failing the Pies Medical as well based on said ankles - i might be wrong there but i recall he as on the trading block and he failed something with them) and then to contrast how much he worked to get back and earn trust and his natural ability and how it served him in his career.

GO Catters
No I think you were absolutely spot on. I had forgotten about the pies thing that's brilliant. I think a lot of the narrative will come out of the individual interviews with him, team mates, coaches, commentators and opponents. Therefore I am trying to have a broad a structure for the story as possible but that Collingwood stuff will be brilliant especially if I can get some of the people at the pies at the time to say how bad his ankles looked

My moment would be the "you cannot do that Stevie J" against Melbourne down at Kardinia in the coach killer game

On YouTube you can find an episode of the frontbar dated 25th September 2022 which discusses some of what you were asking for. About 25 minutes in is an interview with Stevie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve has struggled with the drink throughout his life. Good person to talk to would be Billy Brownless - they were close during some of those times

Our list is extremely similar to our premiership team last year and we’ve added 3 new players.
He could be right but it’s a bizarre comment from him.

He was quite adamant that our depth is poor, and implied that we're essentially just an injury away from having no hope for finals.

In any event he believes we won't play finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back