Review Cats defeat the Blues at MCG by 30 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

My thought at the moment is - would you swap out Jez, Stewart, Danger, Blicavs and Hawkins (sorry Guthrie, Duncan, Stengle) for Gawn, Oliver, Trac, May and Lever? You'd not as the outcomes wouldnt be as useful in our team. We match other team's top 5 with our own top 5. Not head to head, but elite and useful in our own ways.

And if you stretch it to top 10, we'd really be up there. Alot of the other contenders really fall away after the top 3 to 5 players.

Exactly. Horses for courses.
As you've noted, the team dynamic more powerful than the individual one. (Melbs)

Re the above exchange, i thought Menegola, never quick, looked very slow before he went off the other day.

O'Connor is quick enough once he gets going but has fumbled a bit over the last fortnight.

Mieirs is by no means a speed machine, as Buckenara observed when he was drafted, but he's quick thinking and evasive.

Personally i don't think we're a notably quick team, but Bomber Thompson used to say it's how quickly you move the ball that counts; and that is precisely what we're doing now - moving the ball quickly. And not before time.

In this context, I think Kolo is vulnerable once Stewart returns.
Haven’t yet watched the replay but thought O’Connor played an improved game the other night?

To me - it is clearcut Stewart comes in for Kolo - i mean what did Kolo do Sat night - basically nothing - ( seeing it was against Carlton ) he played liked Robert Klomp when he won the TV - had 3 kicks and 1 handpass - thats about what Kolo did Sat night
I don't think Kolo has ever been dropped so it seems fanciful to me, even if I have issues with elements of his game - especially in high octane finals.

When Stewart comes in, it is likely that Henry is released to a more attacking role while Kolo takes the second key forward.

If spots are very tight, it is MOC who would look to be in trouble right now. Zuthrie is playing well and they rate Bews lockdown ability against small forwards the finals teams possess.

I don't think Kolo has ever been dropped so it seems fanciful to me, even if I have issues with elements of his game - especially in high octane finals.

When Stewart comes in, it is likely that Henry is released to a more attacking role while Kolo takes the second key forward.

If spots are very tight, it is MOC who would look to be in trouble right now. Zuthrie is playing well and they rate Bews lockdown ability against small forwards the finals teams possess.
Zuthrie is a lock for me ATM cos he can play a number of roles, plus (and a big plus) he can kick through the ball to get a goal. Bews is a lock also as he is a shadow but also has his dad's speed.

IMO Kolo has been really good except a couple of times a game when he screws up big. He either can't see or hear, or just panics.

Zuthrie is a lock for me ATM cos he can play a number of roles, plus (and a big plus) he can kick through the ball to get a goal. Bews is a lock also as he is a shadow but also has his dad's speed.

IMO Kolo has been really good except a couple of times a game when he screws up big. He either can't see or hear, or just panics.
Kolo has the odd defensive lapse too where he's either all at sea positionally or he's in a pack/contest but kind of fails to attempt to spoil. They aren't regular occurrences but they do happen. He also can't really play on a forward who is mobile when ball hits the deck (at times we've simply given him the wrong match up).

Above is forgivable due to his largely effective blanketing of opponents. You need some defenders to be more of the anchor variety rather than run and gun.

The truly dicey moments are him loading up a handball for seemingly two hours (gets caught, gets chopped off) or those legendary attempts at switching the ball/hitting up a short target under pressure. Regular season, it happens but not too much. Finals, there is a highlight reel and seemingly at crucial times.

I think having a team around him of players quicker in mind, more nimble of foot and higher skills means we can live with Kolo's deficiencies. When others around him are slow, nervous and cautious it all gets a bit panicky back there.

I'd pick Zuthrie for the sub, he's very good but still rising. Kolo is immovable, for better or worse, they're so invested in him.
MOC is occasionally clumsy, but forever on the move in his role now. They'll probably persist with him in that structure.
He got himself free on our forward line a bit, calling but overlooked, as was Rohan. But that's the plan, if Jezza/Hawk open up/lead.
Menegola should be on the outer, albeit he's not my fave, forever trying to prove himself and is consequently less team oriented.
Doesn't know his limitations. At least we don't have to break the glass if injury/illness occurs, over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Look i rate Bews to - however that was a very important game against Carlton - and the selectors left him out and made him sub - and Carlton have got small forwards

As someone else posted - re Oconnor played ok and is versatile - and i agree with that poster

Be interested if someone could put up Zacs and Kolos kicks marks and handpasses for the Carlton game

Kolo has to be the one who misses out

Look i rate Bews to - however that was a very important game against Carlton - and the selectors left him out and made him sub - and Carlton have got small forwards

As someone else posted - re Oconnor played ok and is versatile - and i agree with that poster

Be interested if someone could put up Zacs and Kolos kicks marks and handpasses for the Carlton game

I thought it was the opposite. Bews got a knock the week before and they wanted to rest him. But he is too important so they made him sub, hoping he wouldn't need to play, but just in case....

Well picked out. I was reading that pressure and turnovers are our game now. Needs a whole of team buy-in and high skills/composure and aggressive attack when it's in our possession. In the second quarter, we saw aggressive front on attack from our defenders and mids while they tried to take the ball through our zone. Yes, if they got through, we'd probably be one on one in their forward line, but on the other wing, while we are trying to slow them/turn it over, we see the a wingman, sprinting down the ground to provide support, while at the same time, we see our small forwards, sprinting down the Centre to provide cover if they try and switch.

This. its potentially easier to get it over the back of our defence than it used to be, but thats more than compensated for by generating more opposition intercepts in dangerous parts of the field. Its all well and good if you make it tough for them in their fifty, but you then have to get the ball the length of the ground to score yourself. If you make it tough for them in midfield its much easier to score on the turnover.

I'm positive they will revert to the inclusion of Kolo and Bews, with Stewart's return.
Bews was probably getting his old man rest, before things went awry with Menegola
- nothing wrong with Bews form, a quiet achiever, strong, a good left foot to shake it up,
and no OBF's this year!

Zuthrie on the bench for fresh legs. Depends who we play.
There's still a few games to fiddle with the make up, Parfitt to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good post that

Someone gave me a backhander re Bews - because they misread my post - but positions at the moment are very tight - and you cant pick 28 - which some supporters thinkyou can

To me - it is clearcut Stewart comes in for Kolo - i mean what did Kolo do Sat night - basically nothing - ( seeing it was against Carlton ) he played liked Robert Klomp when he won the TV - had 3 kicks and 1 handpass - thats about what Kolo did Sat night

Parfit comes in for Menegola - and then you basically toss a coin between OConnor and Bews- one of them starts - and the other one is the sub - and the point i was making about Bews- was he wasnt sore - they made him the sub - even though Carlton have got small forwards

So because its so tight in my opinion between Oconnor and Bews - then id go the Bews sub option - because he could be a matchwinner - if say he came on at h/t or 3qtr time - you could put him in the centre and he would give you tremendous run
Bews isn't the worst sub, always provides run and effort.

This. its potentially easier to get it over the back of our defence than it used to be, but thats more than compensated for by generating more opposition intercepts in dangerous parts of the field. Its all well and good if you make it tough for them in their fifty, but you then have to get the ball the length of the ground to score yourself. If you make it tough for them in midfield its much easier to score on the turnover.
Just that willingness to attack the man in the middle of the ground and force them to try and run past you or evade a tackle or handpass will likely lead to an error. If they kick it - it will be a rushed kick that will fall short and be intercepted.

And if it is turned over - then our team are all in outnumbering positions around and in front of the ball.

I really would have loved to have sat in on their classroom sessions, their vision and analysis and their training and drilling over the pre-season.

Often we talk about such basic things on this forum, such as selection or individual player’s performances, and rarely take the time to analyse the game, system, style and effect.

I really would have loved to have sat in on their classroom sessions, their vision and analysis and their training and drilling over the pre-season.
Often we talk about such basic things on this forum, such as selection or individual player’s performances, and rarely take the time to analyse the game, system, style and effect.

Exactly what our opposition do each week. It's one thing to identify what we are doing and how, but difficult to copy or stop.
Comes back to blend of skilled individuals as a team, playing to their combined strengths.
I'm surprised Scotty gave away the overall approach of the coaching panel but all kudos to them for the changes.
I watch an average of four replays per week, and will sometimes track a particular player if his contribution has been controversial.
Have picked up that stats and opinions don't qualify the truth. i.e. SDK, Kolo, Rohan, Miers and their roles within the system.
Oh, and Parfitt, not because I know him, but for the satisfaction of thinking ArtVanderlay is biased.

Last edited:
Exactly what our opposition do each week. It's one thing to identify what we are doing and how, but difficult to copy or stop.
Comes back to blend of skilled individuals as a team, playing to their combined strengths.
I'm surprised Scotty gave away the overall approach of the coaching panel but all kudos to them for the changes.
I watch an average of four replays per week, and will sometimes track a particular player if his contribution has been controversial.
Have picked up that stats and opinions don't qualify the truth. i.e. SDK, Kolo, Rohan, Miers and their roles within the system.
Oh, and Parfitt, not because I know him, but for the satisfaction of thinking ArtVanderlay is biased.

Similar to me- I'll watch the game, then rewatch it later with more of an eye on whats going on off the ball. I see a lot more the second time.

Marks and hand passes, but don't know if they occurred together. I through in some other stats as well.

Kolo - 2 kicks, 5 handballs, 1 mark, zero tackles, 59 metres gained, 0 turnovers (that's good for him, avg for year 2.2), intercepts 3.
O'Connor - 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 1 mark, 4 tackles, 198 metres gained, 5 turnovers (avg for year 2.2), intercepts 7.
Zuthrie - 10 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 369 metres gained, 2 turnovers (avg for year 3.1), intercepts 6, and 1 goal!

lol, I skip through every oppo shot, either catch the kick out or center bounce.

Haha, yes, why waste time when you know what's coming. I also decipher conversation.
Lipreading is my consolatory skill, my mates yell at me: What did he say?
Scott is easy, but I'm certain SDK did not say F*** Prestia, lol.

Bews was rested simple

Yet more evidence - as if any more was needed - that Chris Scott is the best coach going around… Where have the haters gone?

tumbleweed GIF

Thought we won this game pretty easy in the end.

But, when you look at the Blues players to return in the backline, they will be a player in September.

McGovern, Marchbank, Williams, are all starting 22 defenders. Then you probably throw in Newnes too.

Then Martin for some Midfield/Forward class. Pittonet as well, probably slightly ahead of TDK, but TDK is improving for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back