Review Cats defeat the Blues at MCG by 30 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

We're gonna see some serious selection pressure over the next few weeks with Parf and Stewart returning and I feel players like Miers need to offer more than just running endurance.

For me, he (Miers), O'Connor, Menegola and maybe Kolo depending on match-ups will be the ones most under pressure.

I haven't much been impressed with Miers this season. His kicking is a serious issue and because it's a technical thing, it's more than just a short-term worry. He also still doesn't fill me with confidence in contested situations.

O'Connor I thought worked his way into the game but hasn't been in stellar form for a while. I liked seeing him turn his opponent inside out with some speed and agility one time as he was running back toward goal to collect the footy. Other times he looks a bit uncomfortable out there. I feel like he just needs to build some confidence more than build the physical side of things. I hope he can.

Kolo has played some great games this year and some ordinary ones too. If there's the match-up for him (a dangerous third tall) then he may get the nod. But Henry being back in the side and soon Stewart, means he's really under pressure. And his natural tendency to move the ball on slowly doesn't help his cause.

As for Menegola. I didn't particularly like how he was brought into the side without first showing much in the VFL but he's played his role pretty well since he came in. The question is whether we need another of his type in the team. O'Connor at least has the flexibility to play as a small defender, tagger or push up onto the wing. Menegola is more a between the arcs endurance runner. When he's in good form he also gets forward and scores goals, which could be crucial in a big final.

Haven't seen this level of genuine competition for spots for a long time. Strap yourself in.
MOC has been getting better but it's too little too late. Out for Parfitt please

The AFL ratings system is so very flawed that it constantly has things wrong.

I remember a game 3 or 4 years ago in which Stewart was in the bottom 5 according to it which was ridiculous as he poled coach's votes i think.

At best they should be used as a guide. I mean Rohan had a good game yet he was terrible according to this.
Measurement bias. Every organisation has it.

MRO

Will Hayes, Carlton, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Sam Menegola, Geelong Cats, during the first quarter of the Round 18 match between Carlton and the Geelong Cats played at the MCG on Saturday, 16 July 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a two-match suspension with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, High Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a two-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

Jeremy Cameron, Geelong Cats, has been charged with Careless Contact with an Umpire (Umpire Stephens) during the fourth quarter of the Round 18 match between Carlton and the Geelong Cats played at the MCG on Saturday, 16 July 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Contact with an Umpire. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

The AFL ratings system is so very flawed that it constantly has things wrong.

I remember a game 3 or 4 years ago in which Stewart was in the bottom 5 according to it which was ridiculous as he poled coach's votes i think.

At best they should be used as a guide. I mean Rohan had a good game yet he was terrible according to this.

I see it as the best model available, just presented in an awful way.

There are things it like and things it doesn't look at.

Clearances, CP, Intercept possessions, goals from wide and far.

it hates turnovers and missing easy shots.

PA and other similar actions count for little individually but add up if a player does a lot of them.

Importance of actions are linked to the part of the ground they occur in, a turnover I50 costs less than a turnover in D50 (It would be good if there was 2nd model which weighted for current margin as well)

if a player is expected to complete an action it doesn't provide much value, while screwing up a expected action gets harshly punished.

So racking up 20 UP and 8 uncontested marks off half back get easily cancelled out by a few turnovers.

Which is why a few years back it hated Stewart, there was a period when he was playing as our primary rebounding defender but not winning much of the ball from an intercept or getting much contested possessions.

I group players by position, the system values the average ruckman and inside mids 50% higher than other smalls and KPPs. I also divide scores by game time.

Anyone know a good tattoo place?
Can you please post your screenshot of Darty celebrating while Hawkins is on all fours in the background again?

I've literally been laughing at it all day.

I want to like it for a second time.

It's the definition of "no thoughts, just vibes," which actually perfectly describes me at the moment.

No thoughts, just vibing to Geelong's killer form.

What was the official attendance last night - apologies if anyone has previously mentioned it

In newspaper and internet reports/summaries - of games - they dont seem to list the attendance any more

What was the official attendance last night - apologies if anyone has previously mentioned it

In newspaper and internet reports/summaries - of games - they dont seem to list the attendance any more

MCG Twitter account

I REALLY love how a certain "bias blue" poster went through our preview thread laughing at some posts (like mine suggesting we'd account for them easily by 35+, which we should have).
Whose laughing now, *head lol

But, but......they only lost because of undue influence from the umps?!

I'm far from a tactical expert, but in the past when we won, it was heavily due to Contested Possession dominance. Usually when we won, we would lead the CP and when we lost the reverse was true. As catempire would say, it was our bellwether.

But this year we've almost seen a complete reversal of that. Of our 13 wins, only in 7 of them have we won the CP. So there is no doubt an element of the Richmond playbook (the Shaun Grigg influence?), where our game is more based on creating turnovers and hurting sides in transition. We're not as worried with the contest as much as we used to be and now focus on backing ourselves to force the turnover through our defensive structure and much improved defensive pressure, and then create our scoring opportunities through slick ball movement.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goal kicking is a bit of an issue, but last night would have been a tad difficult and ultimately I think some set shots were missed due to second guessing and trying to adjust for the gusty conditions.

What needs to be taken into consideration is the huge number of shots we are generating. It's something that we have not really had in previous years against good opposition (and did happen earlier this season).

This can be attributed to many things, but the midfield as it is now is harder and more able to "see ball get ball" than what we've had previously, this then brings Close, Stengle etc into play and those guy are, I would think, elite in what they do next (set up goals or kick them).

It also takes some of the pressure of the backs who then are able to reset and adjust better when the pressure from opposition is exerted.

It's amazing to see just how relentless the team now is in regards to pressure acts and how that is perceived (causing turn overs etc).

I'm enjoying it immensely.
Oh I absolutely agree with all of the above and am extremely optimistic overall. We just have a tendency to miss those settling set shot goals at key points, especially early, in finals. So it obviously gets us a bit sensitive when it presents as an issue in the regular season.

I would say our conversion from open play on the run is decent. Almost as if chaos suits us nicely with the handball chains and snap shots. Regardless, excellent to be creating chances at the rate we are.

I'm far from a tactical expert, but in the past when we won, it was heavily due to Contested Possession wins. Usually when we won, we lead the CP and when we lost the reverse was true. As catempire would say, it was our bellwether.

But this year we've almost seen a complete reversal of that. Of our 13 wins, only in 7 of them have we won the CP. So there is no doubt an element of the Richmond playbook (the Shaun Grigg influence?), where our game is more based on creating turnovers and hurting sides in transition. We're not as worried with the contest as much as we used to be and now focus on backing ourselves to force the turnover through our defensive structure and much improved defensive pressure, and then create our scoring opportunities through slick ball movement.
It’s bloody fascinating. And it flies in the face of those that don’t appreciate Scott’s tactical flexibility.

I REALLY love how a certain "bias blue" poster went through our preview thread laughing at some posts (like mine suggesting we'd account for them easily by 35+, which we should have).
Whose laughing now, *head lol
Big deal! Someone engaged in banter and got it wrong. Do we really need to sift through everyone’s post to see where they got it wrong? Little wonder people are too timid to give an opinion. They just gauge the opinions of others in order to ingratiate themselves with the ‘in’ crowd! Pathetic!
Here is an opinion.
Cats should win the flag post round 18 . I’m backing them in. I bet no one else will ! Timid!

It’s bloody fascinating. And it flies in the face of those that don’t appreciate Scott’s tactical flexibility.
I'm far from a tactical expert, but in the past when we won, it was heavily due to Contested Possession wins. Usually when we won, we lead the CP and when we lost the reverse was true. As catempire would say, it was our bellwether.
Great observation gents- last week Melbourne beat us by 15 or so in CP.
In 2021 that would mean a defeat - yet we win by 28.
Playing the turnover game to perfection now with CP no longer our one wood.
The other elephant in the room is our huge inside 50 count but a poor conversion- look out in September if we start putting through the big sticks more efficiently 😁

Spot on. It was really noticeable how we hunted the man more than the ball especially early on. It's precisely the way teams have troubled us in the past. By the end I thought we'd gotten a better balance between the turnover game and players winning their own ball. The key will be knowing how and when to adapt and change tactic mid-game where necessary.

I'd lost my favourite Geelong Jumper/Hoodie earlier on in the week and had made about three calls to my gym asking if it had turned up in lost and found or not. I found it about 10 minutes after the game finished (in the same place i'd checked about 6 times previously). Not sure how the night could've been much better!

Spot on. It was really noticeable how we hunted the man more than the ball especially early on. It's precisely the way teams have troubled us in the past. By the end I thought we'd gotten a better balance between the turnover game and players winning their own ball. The key will be knowing how and when to adapt and change tactic mid-game where necessary.

This is true, and depends on player management and positioning because it's so energy sapping. It looks like we have this right, to the point where any of our player's errors are really shown up. Hence the dissatisfaction with MOC's seemingly cumbersome efforts over the ball when it happens more than once, but he runs all night, contests the air in D and feeds the forwards pretty well on occasion.

Gryan is out marked by giants, but goes in with quick hands, and is pretty savvy by foot, but we concentrate on his awkward kicking. He's still dangerous and seems to have developed a bond with Close and Guthrie. I'm just noting we are being spoiled with great flowing, hard at the packs and scoring football, so errors and missed shots rankle the passionate observer more. Danger's not starring but by God, how hard at the ball he still is, never stops smashing for the take, hand pass and second efforts.

There's still a few cries in the wilderness maligning the coach. Scott rang in the personnel changes, altering the coaching system to semi line management and concentrated on the individual's contribution to team (his words) rather than sections. His view has always been kinetic and inclusive, but it's never enough for the one eyed.

Big deal! Someone engaged in banter and got it wrong. Do we really need to sift through everyone’s post to see where they got it wrong? Little wonder people are too timid to give an opinion. They just gauge the opinions of others in order to ingratiate themselves with the ‘in’ crowd! Pathetic!
Here is an opinion.
Cats should win the flag post round 18 . I’m backing them in. I bet no one else will ! Timid!

Settle down champ.

Daniel Hartford on 3AW awarded his BOG to the player he described as “No.1 in the AFL at the moment”....Jeremy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Back