Review Cats defeat the Blues at MCG by 30 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Straight from the mouth of Chris

"The evidence is in.

Blicavs is a midfielder who can play back. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been watching us."
I get the feeling Blicavs will play to well into his mid 30s even late.

Did you boot them for having a different opinion? Echo chambers are no good BTW.

There's no problem with differing opinions. We're all different people, and naturally we're all going to see the game and players differently.

What there is an issue with is posters who conveniently dissapear when the club is going well (We all know who they are) only to suddenly spawn out of nowhere when the club has a loss, claiming they are now vindicated in their opinions after being wrong so many times.

We can all see it coming. Whatever happens in a couple months time whether it be a SF exit, PF Exit, or even GF exit; posters you haven't seen in months or even years will be back in here gloating that they had it right the whole time.

It's sad really. What's the point of following a football club if it's always negative? It's just footy. If it's bringing you this much pain, stress and anxiety then don't follow it. Plenty more important things in the world.

Ride the highs and lows. Having one but not the other is delusion.

That was the only downer on tonights performance - and he has carried Geel for years

Honestly Danger is going about as well as Alistar Lord ( who also won a Brownlow Medal playing in the centre for the Cats ) did in his last year for Geelong

I wonder which one of the new assistant coaches - probably James Kelly - who changed the Geel style - Geel thank goodness are good to watch again

And to Art Vandelay - well asMark Williams ( when Port won the flag ) he said - to their major sponsor - who wanted to sack him - " Allan Scott you are wrong "

Well Art Vandelay - you are 1000% wrong - because youve said for the last 5 years - that Geel couldnt play fast football - well the proof is in the pudding mate - and Geel should have played like this years ago - rather than that absolute garbage - eg the Rich game on the Gold Coast - and thank goodness for Pops Kelly and Egan for changing that rubbish game plan

Is it really a downer? I've come to expect it.

We've played the best part of 3 years now with Dangerfield either out of the side, or in the side but hampered/cooked.

It happens. Fyfe isn't the same anymore, neither is Dusty (Admittedly a bloody high peak to fall from)

The era's are shifting. These guys have had their time at the top and like what happens in any profession, there's someone coming for your spot.

The Dusty, Fyfe, Danger era of each dominating every single week is over. They'll pull the odd game here and there where they look like their old selves and the media pumps their tires up but week to week the consistency isn't there anymore. It happens. Father time is undefeated.

where are you getting those stats from VicW?

before you answer I want to make clear that I consider him a dodgy kick anywhere back of centre - moving into the forward line he is able to wheel onto his right, hook out and generally hit someone up (and I did make this distinction) - further up the ground however he is regularly hemmed in even with the luxury of a free kick (or mark); generally has to go inboard as his kicks are too up-and-under if he goes over the man on the mark, and opposition teams are alert to this shortcoming. He gets picked off, or at best puts his teammate under more pressure than necessary. I hope he improves this aspect of his game, but I'm not sure he can ...
I see what you’re saying, so no issue there. I saw something on here with a stat showing that Miers was #2 in our team with effective short kicks. So clearly he has a role in the system and helps cut through opposition zones.

I love our new game, especially the forward handball. SDK is something else...

I have to admit Mieirs is looking better now: the kicking will always be a problem so it's important that other players can balance that out with superior foot skills a la Stengle and Cameron. I thought Danger struggled but his strength round the ball was important; we are still one speedy mid-fielder short but that will have to wait until perhaps we can secure one in a trade.

On Kolo, if last night's contribution is what we can expect from him over the next few weeks, then I respectfully submit that his position will surely be in jeopardy when Stewart returns. Even young young Guthrie seems better suited to our new style. Having said that, O'Connor was a bit fumbly again, albeit he did a couple of nice things. Big picture is competition for spots will be intense.

There were a lot of really good body language signs I noticed last night, that seem to point towards team cohesion and selfless play.

Selwood at one point handballed to Miers on the goal-line, despite the fact that he could have had a set shot from 15m out. Like most players, he's concerned with improving the chances all the time.

I remember seeing Atkins chasing down a Carlton mid through the centre, but signaling to players ahead of the ball to change the zone up because he wasn't going to close the gap to effect the kick. Shows the kid is starting to shape the midfield and take some of the reigns from Dangerwood. Liked seeing it.

SDK with his really triumphant celebration post-game. You can tell how much he worked for it and how much it meant to him.

Gut-running from Stengle/Close/Rohan up forward. Pats of appreciation after balls were spoiled, kicks were affected, stoppages created etc.

Stanley was massive. Honestly, Stanley has become the barometer of the team for mine. If he's going-for-broke into ruck contests, knocking it forward to space, following up GROUND BALLS, chasing, tackling and going for contested marks, we almost always win. Can't remember the last time Stanley played a blinder and we lost.

Lots of good signs from the game. The team is really purring. I'd say this is our best shot at a Premiership in a long time. I just hope the team keeps the focus, keeps the hunger, and we don't get stuffed by injuries.
Re: Stanley - I think having blitz in the midfield there with him - where they just keep swapping on the opposition ruck has done wonders for him. Blitz is always switched on and never lowers his head. I think it rubs off majorly on Stanley. I remember when we had the third man up situation and we just dominated opposition rucks with Stanley and Blicavs (another coaching masterstroke). Getting back to having these two work in tandem is very well thought out.

Stanley is so athletic and physically capable that he does midfielder things fairly often. So it really makes it very hard for opposition midfielders to bully us when we have two ruck-sized players doing midfielder things. This has always been a weakness of ours in the past where Selwood has been a smaller mid - and Danger was asked to do too much. Now it’s just so much physicality coming from us. Atkins and Selwood - while smaller, are bulls who don’t step back. Guthrie and Parf tackle hard. Danger is a wrecking ball and Blitz and Stanley can bully most ‘tough’ opposition mids (like Viney and Walsh).

Personally, I think the biggest coaching decision that has impacted us this year - is putting Blitz in the midfield.

Scott said at the start of the year that no matter what happens - SDK was going to be the key back. That was likely because they’d decided as a collective that Blitz should be on the ball. It goes back to that decision that whatever was decided - always put the entire team first over an individual area of the ground.

There were a lot of really good body language signs I noticed last night, that seem to point towards team cohesion and selfless play.

I remember seeing Atkins chasing down a Carlton mid through the centre, but signaling to players ahead of the ball to change the zone up because he wasn't going to close the gap to effect the kick. Shows the kid is starting to shape the midfield and take some of the reigns from Dangerwood. Liked seeing it.
Was a brilliant moment, I agree. Spoke to how well 'The Axe' reads the game, his care for the team, and his quest to make himself (and the entire 22) better at every opportunity.

Genuine leader out there, and the ultimate template for what you want in a teammate.

IWWT.

always runs his heart out, no question there.
We're gonna see some serious selection pressure over the next few weeks with Parf and Stewart returning and I feel players like Miers need to offer more than just running endurance.

For me, he (Miers), O'Connor, Menegola and maybe Kolo depending on match-ups will be the ones most under pressure.

I haven't much been impressed with Miers this season. His kicking is a serious issue and because it's a technical thing, it's more than just a short-term worry. He also still doesn't fill me with confidence in contested situations.

O'Connor I thought worked his way into the game but hasn't been in stellar form for a while. I liked seeing him turn his opponent inside out with some speed and agility one time as he was running back toward goal to collect the footy. Other times he looks a bit uncomfortable out there. I feel like he just needs to build some confidence more than build the physical side of things. I hope he can.

Kolo has played some great games this year and some ordinary ones too. If there's the match-up for him (a dangerous third tall) then he may get the nod. But Henry being back in the side and soon Stewart, means he's really under pressure. And his natural tendency to move the ball on slowly doesn't help his cause.

As for Menegola. I didn't particularly like how he was brought into the side without first showing much in the VFL but he's played his role pretty well since he came in. The question is whether we need another of his type in the team. O'Connor at least has the flexibility to play as a small defender, tagger or push up onto the wing. Menegola is more a between the arcs endurance runner. When he's in good form he also gets forward and scores goals, which could be crucial in a big final.

Haven't seen this level of genuine competition for spots for a long time. Strap yourself in.

There's no problem with differing opinions. We're all different people, and naturally we're all going to see the game and players differently.

What there is an issue with is posters who conveniently dissapear when the club is going well (We all know who they are) only to suddenly spawn out of nowhere when the club has a loss, claiming they are now vindicated in their opinions after being wrong so many times.

We can all see it coming. Whatever happens in a couple months time whether it be a SF exit, PF Exit, or even GF exit; posters you haven't seen in months or even years will be back in here gloating that they had it right the whole time.

It's sad really. What's the point of following a football club if it's always negative? It's just footy. If it's bringing you this much pain, stress and anxiety then don't follow it. Plenty more important things in the world.

Ride the highs and lows. Having one but not the other is delusion.
Oh that’s what he was getting at . Ok I missed the point. Opinions change throughout the season . I don’t mind if I’m wrong if the cats win. I tipped against us in the tigers/bulldogs games but tipped us last two weeks against Dees/blues.
Cats form is awesome and it should be celebrated!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty disrespectful to the head coach. Kelly himself has said Scotty is the sheriff who confirms all decisions.

Someone has changed dramatically Geelongs style of play- - and i quoted that game on the Gold Coast 2 years ago against Rich - probably Geelongs worst H/A loss in the last 10 years -

And it was utterly ridiculous -an absolute embarrasment - Geel got 4 - then 5 - then 6 goals behind - and the team was frozen - point blank would not play on - and persisted with the slow motion chipping around - and knowing Scott how stubborn he is - he had his hands all over it

And then this year Scarlett Enright and Knights are all replaced by new assistant coaches - Keely and Egan - Eddie Betts - and then Geel finally start playing modern - play on free flowing football

Oh but Chris changed it - im not niave

The player ratings from last night are a little interesting...

Carlton with the top 3 rated players on the ground, including Curnow as the #1 ranked player though it looks like he basically had zero impact after half time

Hawkins as our highest rated player seems a little interesting, and feels like the rating system doesn't give enough love to a player like SDK

Though did get a little laugh out of Menegola being rated higher than 3 players who ran out the full 4 questions

FXyXItkaIAAdaPe

Changes re Port -

Ins - Parfitt

Outs - Menegola

Simples.

Edit - unless someone needs a rest. Smith?
Bews will come into 22 for Menagola? So will need to manage someone else for Parfitt.

Also do you think they will give Hawke a week off at some stage? Would either be this week or against Suns - to avoid travel? I reckon they could give Neale one more crack at it whilst in form

Carlton with the top 3 rated players on the ground, including Curnow as the #1 ranked player though it looks like he basically had zero impact after half time

Hawkins as our highest rated player seems a little interesting, and feels like the rating system doesn't give enough love to a player like SDK

Though did get a little laugh out of Menegola being rated higher than 3 players who ran out the full 4 questions

FXyXItkaIAAdaPe

They couldn't arrange the numbers in a less useful way

Bews will come into 22 for Menagola? So will need to manage someone else for Parfitt.

Also do you think they will give Hawke a week off at some stage? Would either be this week or against Suns - to avoid travel? I reckon they could give Neale one more crack at it whilst in form
yep this is the week - let him stay home with Emma and the newborn, give Neale another crack in the big league to keep him motivated and wanting to stay.

We're gonna see some serious selection pressure over the next few weeks with Parf and Stewart returning and I feel players like Miers need to offer more than just running endurance.

For me, he (Miers), O'Connor, Menegola and maybe Kolo depending on match-ups will be the ones most under pressure.

I haven't much been impressed with Miers this season. His kicking is a serious issue and because it's a technical thing, it's more than just a short-term worry. He also still doesn't fill me with confidence in contested situations.

O'Connor I thought worked his way into the game but hasn't been in stellar form for a while. I liked seeing him turn his opponent inside out with some speed and agility one time as he was running back toward goal to collect the footy. Other times he looks a bit uncomfortable out there. I feel like he just needs to build some confidence more than build the physical side of things. I hope he can.

Kolo has played some great games this year and some ordinary ones too. If there's the match-up for him (a dangerous third tall) then he may get the nod. But Henry being back in the side and soon Stewart, means he's really under pressure. And his natural tendency to move the ball on slowly doesn't help his cause.

As for Menegola. I didn't particularly like how he was brought into the side without first showing much in the VFL but he's played his role pretty well since he came in. The question is whether we need another of his type in the team. O'Connor at least has the flexibility to play as a small defender, tagger or push up onto the wing. Menegola is more a between the arcs endurance runner. When he's in good form he also gets forward and scores goals, which could be crucial in a big final.

Haven't seen this level of genuine competition for spots for a long time. Strap yourself in.

I think you're bang on here Standup; they're the 4 that I'd have my eye on closely too - although I suspect Kolodjashnij is pretty safe and O'Connor too (O'Connor has really plateaued though, totally agree there) - personally I reckon Menegola and Miers are the most vulnerable.

Of course an injury or suspension or two would change the the complexion of selection very quickly.

Someone has changed dramatically Geelongs style of play- - and i quoted that game on the Gold Coast 2 years ago against Rich - probably Geelongs worst H/A loss in the last 10 years -

And it was utterly ridiculous -an absolute embarrasment - Geel got 4 - then 5 - then 6 goals behind - and the team was frozen - point blank would not play on - and persisted with the slow motion chipping around - and knowing Scott how stubborn he is - he had his hands all over it

And then this year Scarlett Enright and Knights are all replaced by new assistant coaches - Keely and Egan - Eddie Betts - and then Geel finally start playing modern - play on free flowing football

Oh but Chris changed it - im not niave
Your logic doesn’t make sense. If Kelly/Egan made the changes that are currently benefitting us, then it would be Scarlett/Enright who were responsible for the previous years of slow play. And Chris Scott’s only role is to facilitate his assistants managing the team.

I’d say it’s more to do with adapting to the prevailing conditions and recruiting and developing players to play a specific way and then training them to execute.

Voss said it himself. And he probably knows a little bit more than you. Geelong has a strong system in place, well drilled players that have played together for many games. The only person who has overseen the entire operation and the training and evolution of our players over a long time has been Chris Scott (And Lappin).

Dont let your bias get in the way of identifying excellent coaching by the Head Coach for over a decade and great teamwork by the entire team of coaches currently - and a wonderful connection and trust between coaches and players. Scotts coaching capability is respected by everyone in the industry - from media observers to highly qualified opposition coaches.

FXyXItkaIAAdaPe
It is hard to follow but it doesn’t seem right to me in its assessments. ( if I’m reading it right!)

I agree with the players listed as vulnerable, the Shark, Kolo, Mieirs, Menegola (if and when he returns) will need to perform well to be assured of selection. Parfitt might have to come back via the VFL. Stewart comes straight back in.

Sadly, the Premiership could be decided by Covid/injuries. We don't want a repeat of the bug that contributed to last year's loss.

Credit to Chris Scott, the assistant coaches and the players, I didn’t think we’d be sitting top of the ladder after round 18. I actually thought last night we were a bit ordinary but still accounted for the Blues easily who had no answers to us. Our system is working, and we have no holes in the team, I would say this is the best we’ve looked since our last premiership.

Not getting carried away as anything can happen such as injuries, covid hitting at the wrong time or us capitulating in finals again, but this year ‘does’ feel different.

We’re in it up to our eyeballs.

Just need West Coast to beat Hawthorn (because why not? :p) and Port to upset Melbourne so we finish the round a game clear on top and it'll be a great weekend results-wise. Oh, and if the Suns can smash Essendon to drop Richmond down to 9th, that would be the cherry on top.
See, this is where you went wrong.
Got too greedy and flew too close to the sun!

FXyXItkaIAAdaPe
The AFL ratings system is so very flawed that it constantly has things wrong.

I remember a game 3 or 4 years ago in which Stewart was in the bottom 5 according to it which was ridiculous as he poled coach's votes i think.

At best they should be used as a guide. I mean Rohan had a good game yet he was terrible according to this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back