Still Chokers???

• Thread starter Westy Boy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

W

Westy Boy

Just want to get all of your opinions on whether the Western Bulldogs will still be regarded as chokers if we lose to Brisbane (in Brisbane) next week.

I know it will be our fourth failed finals appearance in a row, but it appears on paper to be the toughest and most one sided final in the first week. Brisbane is on a roll, the Dogs just had a let down, and is probably the hardest road trip, and provides the biggest home supporter/ground advantage (especially with all the other finals being neutral for Melbourne teams).

Does losing such a difficult elimination final first up still make us chokers?

Unfortunately, everyone involved in our great game seem to have such long and selective memories.

For the Bulldogs, you can rest assure that very little emphasis will placed on the fact that your team has finished in the finals for the fourth consecutive year and in doing so have achieved a club record. More emphasis will be placed on your results over the past few years in finals rather than focusing on the enormity of the task facing your side on paper this year.

Our wooden spoon will be put down to the culture, Geelong supporters will always be reminded about handbags and being soft when they fail, Collingwood will have to put up with the 'Colliwobble'(sp) jibes, etc.

And anyway, I think you are not without a chance. The Lions are in good form but have had two very easy wins recently. If you put them under the pressure that they haven't had of late then an upset is on the cards. Unlikely, but possible.
biggrin.gif

Westy.. after going to the Brissy demolition of Freo this evening I don't think your boys are without a chance.

There is as we know alot of feeling between the 2 clubs and both coaches will attempt to draw on that. Also the defeat we handed u up here earlier in the season could help get ur boys riled up.

In a positive for you Daniel Bradshaw is playing like $hite up here... the last 2 weeks he's had pretty poor returns & his markings been off..

On the other side of the coin Jarrod Molloy kicked 5 goals and is looking like the brilliant player of `99

It will come down to midfields and well that's gonna be a huge battle.. Tony Liberatore, Scotty West & Jose Romero v Michael Voss, Simon Black & Marcus Ashcroft or Shaun Hart... least we know one thing... it's gonna make great watching

I think it is pretty unfortunate - but yes - if the Doggies lose at the Gabba, the choker tag will be up and running again.

They may have beaten the top 2 teams, but that counts for nothing in the finals.

As it is always touted - Finals is a totally different brand of footy - it doesn't matter what has happened in the home and away season - what counts is how you play on the day of your finals

Not at all. In my opinion, a prerequisite for "choking" is being the favourite. However, in the unlikely event that the Bulldogs build a big lead and throw it away by panicking, then that could be construed as a "choke".

While I dont think the Doggies will win, they are a chance surely? They won earlier this year up there. Of course its harder to win interstate but not impossible. A choke tag cant really be held against them if they do lose. After beating all the top four teams this year (the only side other than the Dons) its just come down to how the draw has worked out. If anything with the history between the two clubs it may give them added incentive to really stick it to the bears.

I reckon that if the Doggies lose this week, they will be (unfairly) labelled as chokers.

But I have this sneaking suspicion that the Dogs will beat the Lions this weekend. The Lions have a very good side, but when things go against them, their work rate seems to drop off (Michael Voss excepted). I reckon Lynch's "hand to the throat" action from last year could come back to haunt Brisbane.

Brisbane has replaced Adelaide as the Doggies' nemesis

But with the Doggies List, you should be rapped thet you got this far. You are basically the same side from four years ago, and the rest of the competition is moving on

If the coaching staff can plot the demise of Bombers and Blues, surely the Lions don't present much of a challange.

Libba goes on Black and absolutely shuts him down, Wynd fixes up that young bloke and bring on the flood - Lions get frustrated, crowd gets pissed off. Dogs mid field finish stronger and a Hudson/Eagleton type finishes it off with some accurate snaps.

The Lions are suspect when frustrated and if there's one club that can do that, it's the Dogs.

The thing is Bernie is that the Lions have already played the Doggies twice this year and won. I was at the recent Gabba match and to be honest it looked like the Doggies who where subdued. They took ages to get into the game, they looked shell shocked.Maybe afraid to touch the players.No idea. Liked Bartletts game though.
After last years shocking Libba display in front of us, I can't think why. My son was furious, me being a nurse I was disgusted at his antics because of the damage he could inflict, by not only eye gouging but holding the player with his other hand in a grip on the back of his head. It was shoddy. Libba is a champ and it was so sad to see him using these tactics.He never needed them when he won his Brownlow.Age has definately changed him.
I would like to see a fair game, the use of skills not thuggery. Maybe I am in fantasy land.I love the old shirtfront, but this scratching and gouging crap is bad for the game.

If the Doggies lose this week, the chokers tag should not come into play, unless of course Terry Wallace hints at some stage during the week that they should be favourites or something along those lines.

However, there is no doubt they did choke in round 22.

Let's be honest, if they hadn't have played the exact same game as the week before and actually decided to play normal football, they would have beaten Hawthorn.

Essendon weren't prepared for it, Hawthorn were and I'm sure Brisbane will prepare for it this week.

If they play a non-predictable style of game, they might have a chance this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gocatsgo, where do you get the idea they choked against us Hawks on friday? Played the same game as they did for the Dons game, yet NEVER headed us all night. To choke, I always thought you had to be in a winning possie then throw it away. That didnt happen in this case.

Guess your already thinking about another 3 point loss, hey?
tongue.gif

just a comment on this
not really about the bulldogs being chokers, they arent
but when will the stop being the underdogs and either become the pretenders or contenders
have the bulldogs been playing above themselves, above them selves or to their potential?

Interesting when thinking about it really

Doggies - 4 failed finals campaigns in a row

Lions/Bears - Finals appearances in 95, 96, 97, 99. Yet all to date failed campaigns as well.

How come the Lions have never worn the Choker Tag???

Brisbane have never been 40+ points up & lost in a prelim final. They all had a big sooky, sooky lala cry on the ground afterwards to.

Brisbane have never been red hot favourites in a prelim & gotten thrashed.

As said in a previous post, you will only get the choker tag this week if you blow a big lead.

If you loose honourably then everybody will be too busy talking about next week to give a rats toss bag about you.

To the previous rent-boy from sleepy city.
Its friggin hard winning the flag from 7th but its impossible from 10th.
Will someone in Adelaide turn the lights off, the rest of the city wants to go to sleep!

Did I strike a nerve woof boy?

Don't blame me because you guys started to celebrate 15 minutes early in 97. Remember Libba's point.

You HAVE choked in the past. It's a fact.

I actually think that you have a show this year if you get over Brisbane.

But if you blow a big lead you WILL have to wear the choker tag for another year.

And once your out, your out. Everybody will be looking to the next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back