Discussion Struggling with Mental Health (Call Beyond Blue (1300 224 636), Lifeline (131 114))

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad thoughts are with most people i think. At different times in my life I didn't want to live. Bad thoughts would take over. Over lots of time, help, and other positive influences, I'm not so bad anymore. It helps to find someone to talk to it also helps with back pain (at least for me) to find something to distract you. 16 years ago I developed pain in my neck down though my arm to my fingers ha s. It turned out that I had collapse discs, degeneration etc etc. It took many years to get where I am now. But still my self esteem is s**t.

It how you try and live your life anyway that can help.
Footy should be not bad this year.
I can empathize with you in regards to the collapsed disc... I had that problem too. C5 & C6 I think, long time ago so my memory is not great... smoked a lot of pot at that time. Worst time of my life. So many bad things all at once.

I hope your pain has subsided, mine has after an operation.

I can empathize with you in regards to the collapsed disc... I had that problem too. C5 & C6 I think, long time ago so my memory is not great... smoked a lot of pot at that time. Worst time of my life. So many bad things all at once.

I hope your pain has subsided, mine has after an operation.

I stuffed my back when I was younger and had about 6 months of constant pain. It gets to you after a while. I don't know how people get through years of it.

I stuffed my back when I was younger and had about 6 months of constant pain. It gets to you after a while. I don't know how people get through years of it.
Nerve pain is the worst. I fell out of a tree when I was 10... that's when it started with me... Prolonged pain messes with your head.

Nerve pain is the worst. I fell out of a tree when I was 10... that's when it started with me... Prolonged pain messes with your head.

Definitely. You get irritable and snappy so people get shitty with you, then you feel bad and the spiral starts.

Definitely. You get irritable and snappy so people get shitty with you, then you feel bad and the spiral starts.
There are so many elements that can cause or add to depression, pain is just one. Now I am in my mid sixties & am financially & emotionally stable with a clear mind I can look back & see all the major contributing factors that lead me to being depressed.

There are so many elements that can cause or add to depression, pain is just one. Now I am in my mid sixties & am financially & emotionally stable with a clear mind I can look back & see all the major contributing factors that lead me to being depressed.
One of the difficulties for me dealing with depression was trying to explain to people what it was like for me. I think there are many people with no experience who think that depression is a one size fits all illness. It took me until my forties to begin to understand that my problems began in childhood.
It makes it hard to overcome when you’re trying to unravel stuff that has been ingrained for decades and I’ve been unaware of.

One of the difficulties for me dealing with depression was trying to explain to people what it was like for me. I think there are many people with no experience who think that depression is a one size fits all illness. It took me until my forties to begin to understand that my problems began in childhood.
It makes it hard to overcome when you’re trying to unravel stuff that has been ingrained for decades and I’ve been unaware of.
In the early days of depression I shared it with some people close to me & their response was less than helpful... "just get over it" or "pull yourself together" was the call. So after that I kept it to myself & didn't dare mention it.

In the early days of depression I shared it with some people close to me & their response was less than helpful... "just get over it" or "pull yourself together" was the call. So after that I kept it to myself & didn't dare mention it.
I got similar before I'd shared anything, which is probably a big part of the reason I never shared anything at that time.
It was only when I started missing work and got caught up in the Bourke St mall incident I thought I had no alternative.
Fortunately, the people I shared with at work were incredibly understanding, which helped a lot. Both of my parents had passed away by then so I'm not sure what response I would have got from them.

I got similar before I'd shared anything, which is probably a big part of the reason I never shared anything at that time.
It was only when I started missing work and got caught up in the Bourke St mall incident I thought I had no alternative.
Fortunately, the people I shared with at work were incredibly understanding, which helped a lot. Both of my parents had passed away by then so I'm not sure what response I would have got from them.
Back in the day, I shared something with my parents, and I got the "why are you telling me now". Didn't share with them again. I eventually found my way through most of it.

sammm
Brains Trust66
Simon Templar
I went through a decade of chronic back pain after an injury but came out on the other side after some alternative therapy few years ago. I'm happy to pass on my experience only via PM if you'd like, as not all was entirely legal.
In January , I joined upwith social internet group called Meetup. Lots of different groups. I joined up with a number of walking groups.5km -7km walks. I've found that it has helped my back alot.

I didn't go one week, back started hurting again.

It gets me out of the house, and because I sign up to a walk I get nagged with the number of reminders to go. 😂

So I'm trying to go twice sometimes 3 times a week

In January , I joined upwith social internet group called Meetup. Lots of different groups. I joined up with a number of walking groups.5km -7km walks. I've found that it has helped my back alot.

I didn't go one week, back started hurting again.

It gets me out of the house, and because I sign up to a walk I get nagged with the number of reminders to go. 😂

So I'm trying to go twice sometimes 3 times a week
I’ve tried a lot of things over the years. I’m never sure what helps and what doesn’t but sometimes I’d stop doing one of my regular activities and notice that I’d feel off. Started doing it again and noticed the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back