Swans best 22 in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s amazing how much a players rep grows once he leaves for another club. Suddenly is Nankervis is a premier ruckman and the answer to all of our problems.

Truth is Naismith or Nankervis isn’t the reason a team wins the flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upload_2018-3-7_16-46-38.png

A fantastic ruckman does make the difference to a team, NO ruckman does make the difference to a team but you're right no 1 player makes or breaks a team

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I thought I'd take an eagle eye view of the list as it stands and what might be expected of them this year.

Groups A&B are walk up starts. Groups C&D should be selected for most games. Group E is dog eat dog.

A. Players who have 100+ games. Normally only injury would stop them getting a game
B. Towers*, Mills, Hewett, Papley, Heeney, Jones, and Lloyd are all best 22 but will be expected to take their games to the next level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C. Sinclair, Cunningham and possibly even Rohan haven't convinced me they've cemented their spots even at 64, 81 and 95 games respectively. *Towers could find himself in this group next year if he doesn't take his game to the next level. At 50+ games inexperience is no longer an excuse.
D. Florent, Hawyard, Melican, Aliir, Newman should normally expect selection. They need to step up and play the majority of games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E. Robinson, Marsh, Rose, Naismith, Foote, Johnson and Dawson plus some yet to debut who need to seize any opportunity to play and impress the coaches.

Expected gain in list experience over 2018.

Now

1 player 300+
1 player 250+
3 players 200+
3 players 150+
2 players 100+
6 players 50+
17 players 1+ games

End of season

1 player 300+
3 players 250+
3 players 200+
1 player 150+
5 players 100+
7 players 50+
14 players 1+

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought I'd take an eagle eye view of the list as it stands and what might be expected of them this year.

Groups A&B are walk up starts. Groups C&D should be selected for most games. Group E is dog eat dog.

A. Players who have 100+ games. Normally only injury would stop them getting a game
B. Towers*, Mills, Hewett, Papley, Heeney, Jones, and Lloyd are all best 22 but will be expected to take their games to the next level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C. Sinclair, Cunningham and possibly even Rohan haven't convinced me they've cemented their spots even at 64, 81 and 95 games respectively. *Towers could find himself in this group next year if he doesn't take his game to the next level. At 50+ games inexperience is no longer an excuse.
D. Florent, Hawyard, Melican, Aliir, Newman should normally expect selection. They need to step up and play the majority of games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E. Robinson, Marsh, Rose, Naismith, Foote, Johnson and Dawson plus some yet to debut who need to seize any opportunity to play and impress the coaches.

Now

1 player 300+
1 player 250+
3 players 200+
3 players 150+
2 players 100+
6 players 50+
17 players 1+ games

End of season

1 player 300+
3 players 250+
3 players 200+
1 player 150+
5 players 100+
7 players 50+
14 players 1+
Pretty unfair on Melican, was rarely beaten last year, cool under pressure. Sure he can improve mainly through experience but if fit would be in the B category for me.

Now

1 player 300+
1 player 250+
3 players 200+
3 players 150+
2 players 100+
6 players 50+
17 players 1+ games

End of season

1 player 300+
3 players 250+
3 players 200+
1 player 150+
5 players 100+
7 players 50+
14 players 1+

Pretty unfair on Melican, was rarely beaten last year, cool under pressure. Sure he can improve mainly through experience but if fit would be in the B category for me.
I agree with Kapanis. A fit Melican would be a walk up start imo

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt

Yep, he's the next Reg.
View attachment 467039

A fantastic ruckman does make the difference to a team, NO ruckman does make the difference to a team but you're right no 1 player makes or breaks a team

To quote Leigh Matthews - hitout stats are meaningless. HO to advantage might tell a story.
But you also need to be able to judge rucks by their ability to get back and take a mark, be the option coming out of the 50 and kick goals up forward, apply pressure.
Sinclair works hard and gets around the ground - I think his biggest problem is skill level. He drops too many marks and misses gettable shots.

Has a go and when he is on is useful. Suspect the task for Cox et al is to imbue Sinkers with more confidence.

Re Melican, I thought last week he showed a bit more of the flair he needs to be more than a stopper. He needs to express more of this side to his game to be a walk up start in the ones.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
With no more JLT games im keen to discuss the round 1 side vs eagles as there seems to be many options

N.Smith - Grundy - Rampe

Lloyd - Melican - Mills

Hannebery - Heeney - Z.Jones

Hewett - Buddy - Papley

Hayward - Reid - Towers

Sinclair - JPK - Parker

Bench: Mcveigh, Cunningham, Newman, K.Jack

Unlucky: Fox, Florent, G.Rohan, H.Marsh, Allir

I think a Florent is first to replace Hanners if not fit for round 1
Fox to replace Mcveigh if not fit for round 1

I dont think Sydney will be keen to risk either going to Subiaco with some decent backups there

Melicans probably not required against the eagles without JJK, Vardy, NicNat for round 1. They will have Darling, Waterman and Mcinnes as their 3 prong attack with Lycett rucking round 1. I suspect NicNats aim is round 2 or 3.

With no more JLT games im keen to discuss the round 1 side vs eagles as there seems to be many options

N.Smith - Grundy - Rampe

Lloyd - Melican - Mills

Hewett - Buddy - Papley

Hayward - Reid - Towers

Sinclair - JPK - Parker

I dont think Sydney will be keen to risk either going to Subiaco with some decent backups there

Melicans probably not required against the eagles without JJK, Vardy, NicNat for round 1. They will have Darling, Waterman and Mcinnes as their 3 prong attack with Lycett rucking round 1. I suspect NicNats aim is round 2 or 3.

Hanners and Macca wont play because of injury. Aside from that the only difference I have is no Cunningham. Fox and Florent are certs. Allir if fit fit is ahead of Cunningham.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Forgot him. He deserves to be best 22

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Hanners and Macca wont play because of injury. Aside from that the only difference I have is no Cunningham. Fox and Florent are certs. Allir if fit fit is ahead of Cunningham.
Wasn't too impressed with Florent in JLT 2 whereas Cunningham seemed to be getting a lot of ball. Skills were pretty poor across the board so it's hard to tell.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This is how I see it

Locks for round 1
1. Franklin
2. Heeney
3. Hewett
4. Jack
5. Jones
6. Kennedy
7. Lloyd
8. Mills
9. Papley
10. Parker
11. Rampe
12. Reid
13. Smith

Locks if they are fit in time for round 1
1. McVeigh
2. Grundy
3. Sinclair

Most likely to play
1. Melican
2. Towers
3. Hayward

Reasonably likely to play
1. Nic Newman
2. Rohan

In the mix
1. Aliir
2. Cunningham
3. Fox
4. Robinson
5. Marsh
6. Cameron (if Sinclair doesn't get up)

So that is about 27 players who are in the mix for a spot in the best 22.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is how I see it

Locks for round 1
1. Franklin
2. Heeney
3. Hewett
4. Jack
5. Jones
6. Kennedy
7. Lloyd
8. Mills
9. Papley
10. Parker
11. Rampe
12. Reid
13. Smith

1. McVeigh
2. Grundy
3. Sinclair

Most likely to play
1. Melican
2. Towers
3. Hayward

1. Nic Newman
2. Rohan

In the mix
1. Aliir
2. Cunningham
3. Fox
4. Robinson
5. Marsh

How can Mellican not be a lock?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
He got dropped for a final last year, which to me says he is not quite a lock, he is very very close, but not quite.

All reports from the club is injury held him back from playing (tho I realise he was an emergency).

Also Hayward perhaps shouldn’t be in the likely category. He is exciting for the future sure but hasn’t had a stand out preseason. In the mix with some others.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

N.Smith - Grundy - Rampe

Lloyd - Melican - Mills

Hewett - Buddy - Papley

Hayward - Reid - Towers

Sinclair - JPK - Parker

Reckon you're very close to the mark. I doubt Hanners or Macca will be fit. I reckon they'll take Florent and Rohan instead. Fox and Cameron as travelling emergencies.

This is how I see it

Locks for round 1
1. Franklin
2. Heeney
3. Hewett
4. Jack
5. Jones
6. Kennedy
7. Lloyd
8. Mills
9. Papley
10. Parker
11. Rampe
12. Reid
13. Smith

1. McVeigh
2. Grundy
3. Sinclair

Most likely to play
1. Melican
2. Towers
3. Hayward

1. Nic Newman
2. Rohan

In the mix
1. Aliir
2. Cunningham
3. Fox
4. Robinson
5. Marsh

The way I see it there are 17 locks.. there's no way Towers, Melican and Rohan won't be selected. And they'll do everything they can to get Grundy in the side plus he has two weeks still to get himself ready, so he's the 17th.

That leaves a massive contingent of depth players who could all be selected. Let's assume McVeigh and Aliir are out of contention, given their injuries and lack of match practice. Cameron's thumping at the hands of Dawson Simpson won't help his case, plus Horse loves Sinclair, so I doubt Darcy would be selected. We can also probably rule out Marsh, because competition for spots in the back-line is just too fierce at the moment. That leaves Newman, Cunningham, Hayward, Florent, Fox, Sinclair and Stoddart as possibilities. Only five of those can be selected. As I said Horse rates Sinclair and will always go tall whenever he can, so Sinclair would probably be selected even if under-done. Cunningham and Newman, while we all question them, made it difficult to not select them with their pre-season numbers. So that's 20.

That really only leaves it to the inexperienced kids.. Hayward, Florent, Fox and Stoddart for the final two spots. Hayward has the advantage given he played the majority of games in 2017, but Florent and Fox had the better pre-seasons by far. Then there's Stoddart who I think has no business being in the senior side (yet), but Horse would love his pace. It will come down to those 4 youngsters but it's anyones guess really

To summarise.. we're in a much better place depth-wise than we were same time last year.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The way I see it there are 17 locks.. there's no way Towers, Melican and Rohan won't be selected. And they'll do everything they can to get Grundy in the side plus he has two weeks still to get himself ready, so he's the 17th.

That leaves a massive contingent of depth players who could all be selected. Let's assume McVeigh and Aliir are out of contention, given their injuries and lack of match practice. Cameron's thumping at the hands of Dawson Simpson won't help his case, plus Horse loves Sinclair, so I doubt Darcy would be selected. We can also probably rule out Marsh, because competition for spots in the back-line is just too fierce at the moment. That leaves Newman, Cunningham, Hayward, Florent, Fox, Sinclair and Stoddart as possibilities. Only five of those can be selected. As I said Horse rates Sinclair and will always go tall whenever he can, so Sinclair would probably be selected even if under-done. Cunningham and Newman, while we all question them, made it difficult to not select them with their pre-season numbers. So that's 20.

That really only leaves it to the inexperienced kids.. Hayward, Florent, Fox and Stoddart for the final two spots. Hayward has the advantage given he played the majority of games in 2017, but Florent and Fox had the better pre-seasons by far. Then there's Stoddart who I think has no business being in the senior side (yet), but Horse would love his pace. It will come down to those 4 youngsters but it's anyones guess really

To summarise.. we're in a much better place depth-wise than we were same time last year.

I don't think Stoddart is really in the mix at the moment but given he played in both JLT games it is clear that Longmire likes the look of him. He got about 8 disposals in the last JLT game which isn't quite enough so I imagine he will be playing in the NEAFL for a while learning how to get his hands on the ball more. The moment that Stoddart can prove he can average about 15 disposals a game (at an AFL level) he is going to be very hard not to select.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think Stoddart is really in the mix at the moment but given he played in both JLT games it is clear that Longmire likes the look of him. He got about 8 disposals in the last JLT game which isn't quite enough so I imagine he will be playing in the NEAFL for a while learning how to get his hands on the ball more. The moment that Stoddart can prove he can average about 15 disposals a game (at an AFL level) he is going to be very hard not to select.
In a nutshell, if he can probe he can double Rohan's weekly possession count he's in!

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I really dont care who we select so long as they are 100% fit. Hanners, maca, reg, aliir and sinclair are not required to beat west coast in my opinion especially if underdone, on more than likely a hot afternoon and hard deck.

Golden opportunity to win a flag this year lets not f#ck it by bringing back players too soon.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Why is this year a golden opportunity?

To put it simply i think we have the best team with a lot of players in the prime of their careers. I also think those in the twilight of their careers can still play a vital part if they stay fit.

I dont see any Melbourne based team finishing top4, which would hopefully mean no home ground advantage in a gf.

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
I dont see any Melbourne based team finishing top4, which would hopefully mean no home ground advantage in a gf.
This is a valid point. That being said I could justify reasoning Tiges, Cats even the Dons and a fully fit Hawks finishing with a double chance this year. It's all too early in the season for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back