News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Presume you've seen the ads with Bontempelli and Cotchin? Probably others too that don't make it to Sydney.
i read somewhere a couple of years ago, that the 'average' player in Victoria can make $75k / year in media appearances. Note.. that's an Average player.
NSW & QLD players won't get any where near that !

Its not an even playing field

“We’ve lost the entire high performance and we don’t have anyone,” he said on SEN’s Whateley.

“We have our physios and coaches and away we go, I’ll get out there with my year 10 high school sports degree and go hard at it.

Wow, losing the entire high performance team. Not good at all. Hope the injury gods are nice to us during this period.

You have to respect a professional commentator who admits they got it wrong. I was searching unsuccessfully a while back for a quote from Brereton where he predicted Franklin only had 60 or 80 games left in him when we signed him. I was catching up on SEN and Derm said he thought Franklin would only last five years as a Swan.

He said he was wrong when he said at the beginning of this season Franklin only had 30 game hours left in his body.

Makes the point that an ageing player who has major time out rarely plays more games in subsequent seasons.

Loves the V, best looking in the league.

I think it was Andy Maher or Bob Murphy who added we have the best line in a club song: "Shake down the thunder from the sky"

You have to respect a professional commentator who admits they got it wrong. I was searching unsuccessfully a while back for a quote from Brereton where he predicted Franklin only had 60 or 80 games left in him when we signed him. I was catching up on SEN and Derm said he thought Franklin would only last five years as a Swan.

He said he was wrong when he said at the beginning of this season Franklin only had 30 game hours left in his body.

Makes the point that an ageing player who has major time out rarely plays more games in subsequent seasons.

I think it was Andy Maher or Bob Murphy who added we have the best line in a club song: "Shake down the thunder from the sky"
Correct i posted that last week and then someone said Yellow and Black

and the only banjo!!

22JUL21: John Longmire article/The Age
Isn't our song based on the Notre Dame University football team song? When I say based, I mean reproduced.

Duck making some excellent points about Horse and the Swans:

They are dynamic in transition and there is a level of enthusiasm and momentum they could ride deep into September, much like the ‘Dogs of 2016’.

‘Horse’ has one premiership from three grand final appearances and has only missed the finals twice in his 10 years as coach.

He mightn’t have the flags of Damien Hardwick or Alastair Clarkson – yet - but there’s still an argument he’s every bit their equal.

Last edited by a moderator:
22JUL21: Amartey re-signs/AFL Website
03JUN21: First half of Swans season analysed/Stats Insider
Article published in June but it seems I missed this one. Predicted us making finals in June, top 4 chance is 27%

Isn't our song based on the Notre Dame University football team song? When I say based, I mean reproduced.

Duck making some excellent points about Horse and the Swans:

They are dynamic in transition and there is a level of enthusiasm and momentum they could ride deep into September, much like the ‘Dogs of 2016’.

‘Horse’ has one premiership from three grand final appearances and has only missed the finals twice in his 10 years as coach.

He mightn’t have the flags of Damien Hardwick or Alastair Clarkson – yet - but there’s still an argument he’s every bit their equal.
Hard to make the comparison. I'd say Horse in 2012 was greater than any single flag of either Hardwick or Clarkson. Although Tigers over Crows was pretty big, considering Crows were the gun team all year and looked unstoppable. The main differences are that Horse didn't have years and years of cellar dwelling by him or his predecessors to accrue enough high hits at the draft to build a team around, nor the easier drawcard destination for trading in players, nor a home ground advantage come the GF. Hard to argue against 3 or 4 flags though, getting it done on most occasions (and no aberration like 2014). So Longmire not an equal in my eyes (yet).

Cheer Cheer The Red & The White - USELESS TRIVIA

The melody of the swans song is indeed derived from the Notre Dame Victory March. They’ve been using it since around 1900.

The song was a central part of a movie (Knute Rockne - All American) about a Notre Dame star footballer whose career was cut short by injury. The lead role was played by a young Ronald Reagan who utters the immortal line ‘win one for the Gipper.’

The line / film was parodied in the Leslie Nielsen film Flying High (Airplane). You can hear the swans theme playing during one of Ted Striker’s war flashbacks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Callum Mills interview

Good at least that he is in a house.

I saw Jesinta Franklin and the two littlies ( 4 months and an under two) have relocated to Qld and will have to undergo 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel room.
Gosh that would be difficult with two little ones. Good on her though

David King stats show, with some data on Buddy a good decent segment

Pure Footy podcast.

The Buddy stats are really something for those who haven't heard this. His goalkicking has got much better this year. Plus I think he's up on tackles and er, some other stats that I forget. Amazing for 34yo. Sounds like he may have benefited from the layoff. The jokes about extending his contract may turn true.

The Buddy stats are really something for those who haven't heard this. His goalkicking has got much better this year. Plus I think he's up on tackles and er, some other stats that I forget. Amazing for 34yo. Sounds like he may have benefited from the layoff. The jokes about extending his contract may turn true.
1 or 2 years!!:think:

Great article by the duck... shows his allegiance to horse...

I also liked what he said about Kennedy and Parker... I've been saying it for most of the year so goos to hear it comes from the media as well.

"Other clubs have academies without having the same level of production. And let’s face it, not every senior player is an academy product, anyway.

The Swans have a young core led by guys like Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills (both from the academy) and Tom Papley and Jordan Dawson (who aren’t)."

Well said! Glad someone in the media has the guts to say something in support of the swans...

A sweet read as the Swans ride the waves of success

Further to be added as they are posted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back