Event Sweet FA Hall of Fame Inductions - Season 13

Remove this Banner Ad

sweetfa.gif
Sweet FA Hall Of Fame Inductions - Season 13

Welcome one and all to the Mags & QT Bar & Grill for this esteemed occasion - the announcement of the inaugural Hall of Famers for the Sweet FA.

Never before, in the history of the Earth, has there been such an inaugural announcement of Sweet FA Hall of Fame inductees. This is truly an auspicious, humbling event, one that is certain to go down in the annals of time as an occasion worthy of awe. All attending are likely to increase their total surface area just by being here.

My name is Melvyn, and I will be your host for tonight.

How was the Hall of Fame envisioned? Some say it was conceived in that small telephone booth just outside the door of this very establishment. But no, in actuality it was loopy_cam - the rugged, sluggard and often buggered Baghdad Bombers captain, I believe, who first raised the issue with a public declaration suggesting that such an accolade be bestowed.

loopy himself is a stalwart of the competition, and would have to be considered a legend of the game. But his thoughts were not of himself, but of the league as a whole, and it's majestic populace of entertaining joy-givers and elite athletes across the competition. Therefore, here we are gathered, all dressed in our underwear (some in each other's), to pay tribute to the stars of the game, new and old.

The Sweet FA began in 2001, with 7 teams. It grew to as many as 14 teams, but has since been refined to a more manageable and compact eight. Over those years, one thousand, two hundred and seventy-six individual players (not counting listed recruits that never played) have taken the field, in one thousand, two hundred and eighty-eight premiership season games and finals, over thirteen seasons. The Bigfooty Fantasy Footy Forum has played host to just under four thousand threads, and just under two hundred thousand individual posts. That's a lot of big numbers. Except for the thirteen, that's a smaller number.

Twenty-six different clubs have competed over the years. There have been thirteen premierships won, from fourteen grand finals. Sixteen best & fairest awards have been hung around the necks of fourteen players. But there has never been a player officially inducted as a Hall of Famer.

Tonight, this changes.

Nominations for the Hall of Fame were accepted at Committee level and polled to select six inductees. Those inductees are your Gods tonight. Hail to the kings, baby! Many totally deserving players have unfortunately missed out this time around, but we expect to see them honoured at future presentations.

The business of the night will commence shortly, leading progressively up to the player who received the most votes. The number of votes themselves are not relevant, but I feel it is important to be express with clarity the most overwhelming choice of all at the apex of the announcements.

So please enjoy the fine fare on offer as we approach the announcement of the first Sweet FA Hall of Fame inductees.

It's just about time.

[youtube]1gkxRNmnC1Y[/youtube]

Announcements will begin in ten minutes give or take.

HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE NUMBER 1 of 6

This player is probably the least sung of tonight's heroes. Despite captaining his club for five seasons, and winning the same number of Best & Fairest medals, despite an equal highest number of ALL-Sweet FA caps, and dual Mobbenfuhrer Medal medallions, he's not often talked about as a legend of the league. But when you also take into account many seasons of tireless work compiling information to support the administrations over the years, it's gets a little peculiar that his name isn't quite as synonymous with awesome as it should be.

Congratulations, ljp86!

Debut - Season 05
Seasons - 9 (Southern Dragons)
Games - 180 (Best Dreamteam - 126)
Goals - 141 (Best Haul - 9)
Accolades - [B&F SFA08] [B&F SFA10] [ALLSFA X 5]
Club - Capt x 5, B&F x 5, Goals x 1

Come on up for a few words, ljp!
(cue coming on up for a few words music)
[youtube]KLFZzInXAWI[/youtube]

1. How did you learn about, and get attracted to, the Sweet FA?
I think Pie 4 Life sent me a PM asking me to join the Dragons as I was active in another area he was in. I signed up and the rest is history.

2. What do you remember of your first season?
I played basically everywhere. I was originally going to be starting in a back pocket which I was happy with but then before the first game I was swung around to the forward pocket. I ended up kicking three goals on debut and won the Power Shock #05 award for best impact player of the day. I spent a fair amount of time there before being moved to full forward partway through the season. I kicked quite a few bags, including a haul of nine goals which was pretty good.

I ended up winning the club leading goalkicker award and won the club's Best and Fairest in my debut year so you could say I had a blistering start to my career.

3. Tell us what was different about the game between then and now?
There was more teams when I started and the board was busier than what it is at the moment. 12 teams was pretty good in my opinion, I certainly enjoyed it as the place was a hive of activity at times. Other than that, not a lot else has changed with the exception of a few sim tweaks. I also think full forwards are less dominant than what they were a few seasons ago and disposal counts are a little lower than what they were previously.

4. Which season(s) do you consider your stellar years?
Season 8 and 10 when I won the Mobbenfuhrer Medal. Season 10 I absolutely killed it and won by seven votes I think. Becoming the first ever dual Mobbenfuhrer Medal winner was pretty special for me.

5. Who is the best player you have seen?
Wally was a ball magnet back in the day. Biggie, boncer and larrikin have also proved their worth over the seasons as well though. They are probably the top players I've played against and also with.

6. Who would you say has been your toughest opponent?
To be honest, I wouldn't really know. Early in my career I didn't take much note of who I was playing on, sometimes I still don't know now, mostly cause I've left them in my wake.

7. What is the most vivid memory of the league for you? Any particular amusing story, or specific event?
There's been a few. Kerrby's epic **** ups are pretty funny, mostly cause he's a complete ******. The percentages thing was pure gold. The TG curse, my berating of powaflag08, there's been quite a lot in my time here.

8. Of the large number of new players, who excites you as a future league legend prospect?
WishinAintGettin looks as if he could be a real gun. Won the Dragons' B&F in his first season (along with myself and Easty). Gun player and knows how to talk some s**t as well so he's shaping up to be a star at the moment.

9. What changes are the most apparent in the game over the years?
Adding of dream team points totals was pretty big I reckon. The drop off of teams has been pretty big as well, I hope we can get back to the days of having a 10 or 12 team competition soon.

10. What would you like to see done differently?
Tweaking the sim to see a small increase in disposals and adding another player on the bench with more frequent interchanges and rotations.

11. In five years time, what do you think will be different about the league?
Not sure to be honest, I don't think a lot will change, perhaps there might be some more teams and of course a fresh influx of players but I don't believe a lot will change between now and then. If anything does change it'll be fairly minor in my opinion.

12. The future? How long do you entertain playing on?
I'm feeling pretty good at the moment so I'll be around for a while yet. I'd really like to win a premiership in the SFA, it's one of the few things I haven't done here yet.

13. Any predictions for Season 14?
Southern Dragons Season 14 Premiers and Western Australia Season 14 State Of Origin Winners!

14. Anything else you'd like to say?
I'd just like to say it's a real honour to be inducted into the SFA Hall of Fame alongside five other greats of the game. I didn't think I'd be nominated let alone inducted in the first six so it's a real honour and a major achievement to be one of the inagural Hall of Fame members.

Thanks to everyone that has supported myself but also the league throughout the time that they have been here, without activity and posters this competition wouldn't exist so thanks to all who make the SFA possible.

Now let's have a great season 14!

HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE NUMBER 2 of 6

The other side of the coin now arises. This fellow cannot be missed, his commentary and opinion always cutting, sensational and often bordering on downright violent. But this is just a feather in an already bejewelled crown. Two flags, a Mobbenfuhrer medal, and five All-Sweet FA Caps, plus the tireless work of 2 years in the Administrative position of the league, leaves very little to be earnt as far as the trophy cabinet is concerned. First at the Bombers and then with the Hawks, this man of the hour is now completing the set with a club captaincy role coming on in Season 14.

Congratulations, boncer34!

Debut - Season 06
Seasons - 8 (Bigfooty/Baghdad Bombers 3&1/2, Eastside Hawks (4&1/2)
Games - 161 (Best Dreamteam - 161)
Goals - 117 (Best Haul - 5)
Accolades - [PREMS SFA07] [B&F SFA11] [PREMS SFA12] [ALLSFA X 5] [ADMIN X 2]
Club - B&F x 3

How about a chat, Bounc... err ... Boncer?
(cue not being Bouncer music)
[youtube]7m94ip38UKs[/youtube]

Actually started off in a fantasy cricket league on Bombertalk. Came over to Bigfooty to play in the cricket league here and then Doug noticed me playing for... I believe Darkness Eternal... and asked if I'd like to join the Bombers in the fantasy footy.

Nothing. Seriously dont remember much at all. Its all become a bit of a blur. I remember Ant and Doug covered my ass a fair bit.

Posting. It wasn't as big back then, we obviously had people posting but no where near the number we have now. Its why I dispute claims activity is on a downward spiral.

Probably the 2 premiership years. I won the B&F both times which was nice. TBH I was shocked I won the Mobb medal when I did, remember thinking I'd had a s**t season.

Me. By a freaking mile, most medallionised player in the history of the comp. I'm a freak. Of the others though.......

Wally, just. Obviously onfield he was always in a "good" spot but s**t he was a quality poster in his day. Get the biggest rise outta someone over something incredibly stupid. Doug, Lj and Biggie all go close. Keep in mind by player I'm talking about someone who plays the game which does include their posting.

Lj. ****ing **** of a poster to try and best. I'd back us in at a nil-all draw.

7. What is the most vivid memory of the league for you? Any particular amusing story, or specific event?
Probably just the multiple poster melt downs I've seen. Theres nothing I love more then watching someone lose their s**t over a fantasy game. LJ's crack at Powaflog was certainly great fun. Then of course my exploits vs. JRR, Okey, Tim, Kerrby and co. always make me laugh.

Probably the Kerrby thread where I went through an A to I think J of why he was a dick is my most amusing moment. To his credit though he stuck around and showed a little spine. One of the best posters we've seen now IMO.

8. Of the large number of new players, who excites you as a future league legend prospect?
Zac. Yes I'm serious. Recently the kid has copped crap from left, right and centre including from within his own club. He's still here, still trying and definetly improving. Whether or not the league moves on from his flog days is another matter but he will be a quality poster.

Outside Hawks I'd probably say Juggallo Balla. He's not afraid to mix it up and have a crack at the big boys. Just needs to reign in his emo tendancies and he'll be great.

More of an emphasis on stats and also attempts to "even" out the comp in terms of stopping some positions dominating Mobbs. Not to mention poaching used to happen constantly but now its done rarely with people quoting "loyalty" ITS ****ING FANTASY.

Nothing really. Would like less bitching about posting and activity levels. Would like to see more s**t stirring, people seem to be to mellow these days.

I wont be around.

Taking it season by season. I'll be here for 14 and probably 15 but then I can't see myself here as much as I am now.

Hawks to clean up.

I think some people are starting to take this a little seriously. Yes we can be ***** but **** its a game, so if someones having a crack man the **** up and have a go back and dont be a little bitch.

HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE NUMBER 3 of 6

This nomination would be by default, had it not been earnt, but the write-up must continue. Two premierships, inaugural Administrator, and three-times club captain, he's probably pretty hard to avoid due to prolific informational documentation. As the bloke bestowed with the "Founding Father" tag, I can't really turn this down.

Congratulations, Mobbenfuhrer!

Debut - Season 02
Seasons - 11 (Hurricanes 1, Roys FFC 8, Mod Squad 2)
Games - 193 (Best Dreamteam - 114)
Goals - 129 (Best Haul - 9)
Accolades - [PREMS SFA02] [PREMS SFA04] [ALLSFA X 2] [ADMIN X 2]
Club - Capt x 3, Goals x 1

I guess I should put this bag of dimmies down and say something.
(cue dimmy raincheck music)
[youtube]62eTq8ErUOQ[/youtube]

Some idiot started this pathetic thread on the AFL Board and as that idiot was me I thought I had better back it up. My playing commenced halfway through the second season when, having offloaded the Administrative duties, I realised I could now be playing without a complete conflict of interest (coder, simmer, player)

Almost nothing, I was surprised recently when I researched some past info and saw I'd joined the Hurricanes mid-season. I was a premiership player that year and didn't even know it until nine years later! I'm guessing alcohol was complicit there.

So, so much. When it started, there was no commentary, and when it came on board, it was stunted and repetitive. The original teams were so imaginative about where they were taking things, the league kind of followed them rather than any real Administrative direction. Activity was actually kind of similar quantitatively but of a completely different nature. Everyone was still finding their feet and working out how best to make the competition be fun and entertaining. There was also a comparative dearth of statistical information, oh

I had a season when I polled 10 Mobblow votes, but I can't remember which it was. Probably abou Season 06'ish. Last year wasn't bad for me, in the top three goalkickers, but the disappointment of bombing out so severely in the First Semi-Final does put a dampener on that.

There are many. At her peak, Lioness was kicking almost every goal there was to be kicked. Groove was awesome, X_Box_X, Kapow!!! and rfctigerarmy were always amazing players. But the game has toned up a lot since, and these days, the ljp's, the Boncers, Larrikins, and our own inestimable Fat Pizza are ruling the roost. IMS is also a quality player. That Gumbies Full Forward isn't too shabby, either.

All of them. I have never taken an opponent lightly, and I never intend to. I just got cleaned up by a noob in a practice match a day or so ago. Maybe that other inty from the Gumbies, not the goalkicker one, the other one. Hard work for a Centre Half-Back.

The Season 11 Grand Final leadup was a real watershed for the modern fantasy competition. Gumbies and Furies colours were all over Dun Lop that week. The Grand Final thread was replete with flash mobedy.

Another time was when I was overseas and decided to tune in to what I thought was going to be a quiet period of the Sweet FA (about Season 7 or 8), and it was going nuts under doggiesin08's tutelage. The new breed of the Boncers, Kerrbys, ljps, they had all just seriously established themselves as the trendsetters for seasons to come, and I was overcome by what had grown from this little thing.

Prior to that, the clashes with DougTheLegend's Bombers, and the Swamprats with their boozy parties, were a pleasure to be a part of. Earlier, Hitman and his obnoxious Darkness Eternal were the talk of the town (they did nothing though, lol).

And back to the start, with the Wonders, Timmy and the Dingoes. Big Poppa Pump the big talker, Arnold Schwarzenegger laying down the law. Mags, QT, and the Kournikova team full of promise but unable to deliver. And just before that: the glee of suggesting this concept and seeing teams build before my eyes, Bluey supplying a separate board, and the whole shebang taking off.

I'm sorry, I just need a moment. {(c) A Lynch}

I have a feeling we may all need to count to twenty, as I believe there is a high likelihood that hepp hepp hooray is about to hit it.

Wow, you already asked this, you numbat. Well, the league has gone postessional, teams have been ratified, administration has become more structured. Preseason and State of Origin is now a deftly managed staple. There are now nearly two seasons per year. Back in my day the off-season was months long. Midseason recruiting and trading is all legal now. A lot of things have changed. Generally, the league has grown up.

Well, I'd like to see that little miscolouring issue of the ballholder fixed ... wait ... What? Well why don't you make the ****ing questions clearer then?... I'd like to see the league grow enough for more teams. I'd like more clubs choose fantasy locations as their home grounds. I'd love to see a lot of things. One thing I'd like to see, is to walk down my local street and hear as much talk about 'which fantasy team do you play for' as I hear 'who's in your dreamteam'. I'd like to hear that.

I think it might grow by a couple of teams, be a little more well-managed and efficient, and possibly even have a higher visibility amongst the general footy-loving public. But there probably won't be anything too drastic in such a small time. Baby steps.

I'll probably play until I can't. Maybe I'll have to drop down to a lower grade, but I always want to play my fantasy footy. But I'll always be playing for the Roys {(c) A Lynch}

Further improvement on the field for the Roys. I won't pencil in a premiership, but we'll be top 3 this year. No more of that 100+ point First Semi drubbing bullshit.

Thank you to every one of YOU who has helped make this such an enjoyable experience. It makes my day. Every player and interested party has helped me through a lot of difficulties over the years with some necessary escapism. Isn't that what this is all about?

This is not just a fantasy football league. This is the Sweet ****ing Association. Play on, you bastards. Play on!

Time for a short break, I am fully aware that some of you have short attention spans.

Talk among yourselves for a few minutes while we wait for Mobbs' therapist to arrive and help him back to his seat.

We'll be back after this short message from Tasmania.

[youtube]QP1HutuSzps[/youtube]

HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE NUMBER 4 of 6

An imposing presence but for team success, this candidate was there in Round 1, Season 1, and is still raring to go around again today. A career spanning four teams due to desire to play, founding one club, captaining a team in four seasons, and twice named in the All-Sweet FA, he's an institution and a league household name.

Congratulations, Fred!

Debut - Season 01
Seasons - 13 (Team Timmy 1, Razors 4, Roys 6, Mod Squad 2)
Games - 240 (Best Dreamteam - 128)
Goals - 184 (Best Haul - 4)
Accolades - [ALLSFA X 2]
Club - Capt x 4, B&F x 1

Shuffle on up for a chat, Fred!
(cue shuffling music)
[youtube]vgiDcJi534Y[/youtube]

I was here when the idea was first raised and thought it would be fun

Very little - it was too long ago.

The early practice matches didn't have the running commentary but it was in for the start of Season 1. No score updates during quarters.

Season 5

I'm not about boosting other's egos but if pressed, Ljp did ok at times.

They were all pussies

Whatever happens on the ground stays on the ground.

Much too early to tell. Let's see after a few more seasons.

The expanded commentary and stats. Hopefully, the increased game activity will continue.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Hopefully, more teams and an expanded season.

Until I can't.

HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE NUMBER 5 of 6

Joining in 2002, this player is one of the most longevic in the league. 245 games over twelve seasons, sorely under-rewarded as yet to play in a premiership team. Two years as league Administrator caps off a remarkable journey that just keeps on keeping on. Records are incomplete, but he may have captained the Demons for five consecutive seasons.

Congratulations, Deestroy!

Debut - Season 02
Seasons - 12 (Team Pump/Mt Buller Demons 10, Mod Squad 2)
Games - 245 (Best Dreamteam - 168)
Goals - 276 (Best Haul - 6)
Accolades - [ALLSFA X 1] [ADMIN X 2]
Club - Capt x 3 (possibly 5)

Come on up Deestroy. No, you have to. It's the only way you receive this honour.
(cue sole manner of getting award music)
[youtube]PeyOnNple4M[/youtube]

I stumbled on the board back in the very early days of the league.

Started on the list in a minor role, but by the end of season 1 I was a star (as is my recollection)...

There's a new generation now that has put new life into the competition, us older blokes are just holding on to our youth.

Early years as captain of the Dees, was one of the dominant ruckman in the league.

Myself.

When I joined the Mob Squad it was everyone else, not much love for us.

Losing a grand final. Less said the better.

It's too hard to say out of the new players, when they have been doing it for 5-6 years the real class will stand out.

On a personal level the change from active player to team captain to competition runner to bit part player has been the biggest change.

More pay, less training, more premierships for my team.

Hopefully some of the long term clubs will still be around. It's amazing that a club I started is still going strong under an entirely new group.

I'm happy to keep going as long as the guys will have me, I dont have much time for it these days but do make every attempt to keep on top of how the team is going.

Mount Buller are coming.

Thanks for the induction, glad something I was a big part of in the early days is still going so strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im reading, its always good to find out some history about the league.

Congratulations everyone who was been inducted. :thumbsu:

HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE NUMBER 6 OF 6

Garnering the highest number of votes from the Committee review, this player is the Methuselah of the Sweet FA. He founded the first premiership team, then went on to found the second one! No-one - that's no-one has played more games than he. Three premiership medals swing from his match-hardened neck. If that wasn't enough, he took over the Administrative reins when the league almost collapsed in its formative years. Say hello to the playingest player in the Sweet FA ...

Congratulations, eagleskickass!

Debut - Season 01
Seasons - 13 (Seventh Wonders/West Coast Wonders 9, Hurricanes 2, West Coast Magic 1, Razors 1)
Games - 267 (Best Dreamteam - 134)
Goals - 179 (Best Haul - 6)
Accolades - [PREMS SFA01] [PREMS SFA02] [PREMS SFA13] [ADMIN X 2]
Club - Capt x 2 (Prem Capt x 2), Goals x 1

C'mon EKA you knew it would be you! Get over here.
(cue knowing it would be him music)
[youtube]hYV5KgZC7-w[/youtube]

As someone who has been around since the beginning, this really stretches the memory! Back in 2001 there were far fewer people and I actually think I heard about the SFA on Bigfooty chat!

I remember leading the Wonders to the inaugural premiership!

Back then there was a lot less focus on activity levels, probably because they remained quite high for a season or two as it was new. Also, positions on field were more based on the character of the player than how much they posted.

Season 1 & 2 and 13. A player is only as good as the results his team gets and winning a premiership in those seasons takes the cake for me!

Tempted to say pacemaker just for the lols...but just can't bring myself to do it. Probably Larrikin. He's been absolutely dominating lately and I think his record stacks up against most players past and present.

I'm going to throw a curve ball and answer this differently to the norm. Even though I loved the hurricanes, I did find it tough lining up against the Wonders in seasons 2 so they were probably my toughest opponents.

I think for me it is just the general feel. When I started, I was a young upstart who was convinced of my own superiority. Now I watch the noobs coming in, acting like they own the place and have a quiet chuckle to myself. Every new player who writes a press release thinks to themselves 'this is the best post in SFA history'. And every time it makes me smile at the latest, wet behind the year youngin with passion. It is good to see but it sure does bring a grin to an old mans face.

Any player who has won the EKA medal has to get a gig! So, most recently, WishinAintGettin.

I think I covered this above. Activity vs Character. Though we still have characters in todays game, I will honestly say that they have nothing on the likes of QT, Mags, Big Poppa Pump etc

This is a tough one. I think the SFA has been running quite efficiently lately. Probably the main thing is a return to weekend games.

A whole new bunch of upstart noobs with the current noobs with staying power realising what they were actually like! But I love their passion.

I've almost forgotten how to retire so until I somehow work that out, or I stop frequenting Bigfooty I guess I am stuck here!

Wonders to go Back to Back!

Loving the journey

Congratulations all inductees!

This concludes the non-drunken-vomitting part of the evening.

Was this enough for you? Are you satisfied?

You had better not be.

Because Season 14 is coming up very shortly.

Don't be satisfied.

Demand MORE!

Party time!

[youtube]qDuW3NvjqJY[/youtube]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back