Sweet Reality Presents: Stuff I have cooked and shared recipe thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice Harvs.
A comforting meal for a wintry night.
Looks like he was shivering something fierce too.
You need patience and the abillty to sit in the cold monitoring the temperature to make sure it doesn't go too high or start dropping too low. It's almost a whole day commitment.

The results are so damn worth it
My dad has a thermometer that is linked to a phone app so he can always monitor the temp.

My dad has a thermometer that is linked to a phone app so he can always monitor the temp.

That's a next level really serious about smoking purchase. I have 2 of the wired ones as the inbuilt thermometer in the smoker is a bit crappy. You're probably spoilt with smoked meats of all kinds.

He was very excited for dinner me thinks.
That’s awesome. How good is technology! Now, I just need to learn how to use it.
If it’s not an apple product, tech does my stack.

For lunch today I got sourdough bread slices, whacked grated pizza cheese on it, some chopped onions, chopped button mushrooms, chopped Danish salami, loaded more cheese on top, then finished it off with a layer of cheese. Alu foil on a pizza tray, whacked the slices on and cooked it for roughly however long it took to just brown the cheese in a 180 degree oven. I would have whacked on some chopped capsicum too, but there wasn't enough room

Going to make pasta sauce tonight. Anyone have any suggestions to things I should play with? :)
The thing I have found with sauce cooking, is the slower you cook it, the better.
Adding a whole carrot or a bit of sugar takes away the acidity of the tomatoes, but you can basically do all or nothing with sauces.
If you are an evil genius like me, purchase yourself a slow-cooker. Try making sauce in one of them.
Find yourself a good cut of meat with a bone and a bit of fat, and cook it slow. Using wine and garlic in pasta sauce is great, but a little goes a long way, and it’s easy to spoil a sauce with over-seasoning.

How did your sauce turn out anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems ridiculous that I've not done a pumpkin soup so far this year.

So I've done one and the house is full of the spices I put in.

I will refrain from posting a photo because try as I might, I've never been able to snap it - or any curry, stew or pumpkin/carrot based dish - without feeling that it looks like the contents of a baby's nappy (which is the last thing I want to be judged by my peers).

Have a great night, folks.

Making a new batch of hot sauce today with a new recipe.

12 Cayenne chillies, 6 Habanero chillies, 4 Jalapenos, 2 Red and 2 yellow capsicims, 2 baby carrots, 3 cloves of garlic and 3 to 3.5% brine. Ferment for 2 - 3 weeks and we shall see how it turns out.

I've dialed back the brine strength this time and targeted specific chillies for depth of flavour.

I will post a photo once the brine has cooled to room temperature and I put in in the jar

Hey Antonio BlueVein you’ll be into this. I’ve been spending 2020 working my way through trying to cook all the famous Italian dishes using a regionally authentic recipe (or as close as possible, noting that all old dishes tend to have variants). So here’s my tortellini en brodo.

8A32BBE3-23D6-4AB5-975B-4D4DF6CB8EE4.jpeg

Hey Antonio BlueVein you’ll be into this. I’ve been spending 2020 working my way through trying to cook all the famous Italian dishes using a regionally authentic recipe (or as close as possible, noting that all old dishes tend to have variants). So here’s my tortellini en brodo.

View attachment 954273
A lot of people would look at that dish and consider it to be plain, but I know that it’s one of those meals that can truly pack a lot of flavour into every bite.

Did you make the broth from scratch?

* it, I’m having tortellini for breakfast.

A lot of people would look at that dish and consider it to be plain, but I know that it’s one of those meals that can truly pack a lot of flavour into every bite.

Did you make the broth from scratch?

fu** it, I’m having tortellini for breakfast.
I sure did. I’m going full-bore authentic.

Italian food is awesome. I reckon I could eat pasta pretty much every day. I made the discovery last week that amatriciana, and sometimes even carbonara, use guanciale rather than pancetta which actually makes a difference. I’d never heard of the stuff before, but thanks to the significant Italian population of Melbourne I now find it in most decent delis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back