Autopsy Sydney defeat Thugden by 30pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Brodie Grundy was our fastest player last night according to maximum speed reached, that's a surprise. Probably for a second I guess.

Interesting that Corey Warner was our leader for workrate speed in attack and defence. May be a bit of a nothing stat really, but when looking at what he offers the effort and workrate with the raw pace is there.
It means Corey is ready.
I would stick with him till the bye. If he scored those 3 goals we would be calling him the next Chad.

“It’s been a massive thing this pre-season, bring your strengths”
Nick Blakey

“Bring your thug”.
Brad Scott

A contrast in styles.

The frustrating part about florent, is that he can play footy. He does everything well except make the right decision/ bite off more than he can chew.

There was a play tonight where we subsequently scored a goal from...but it was beautiful. Started from hb with the lizard, slick hands and precise disposal up the ground in a magnificent chain...until it got to florent who butchered the kick

don't quite understand the florent criticism ... yes, he makes mistakes, everyone does ... at least most of his are because he's trying to do something (as in being part of that move then mucking up the kick)
but he's a creative player playing out of a backline, so his mistakes will look worse than, say, papley up the other end
but i'd rather florent or roberts or blakey, players that make mistakes taking the game on (actually, not sure roberts has made many mistakes yet) than the likes of lloyd, who make mistakes (more often than florent et al) through indecision and change of mind

Last edited:
Wicks and Corey didn't add that much last night it felt. You could easily put Adams and Parker into that 22 and we should get better, but you're right they're not the best kicks.

I think our rebound game is that strong we can afford to lose a couple steps there if it means we can win a few in the middle

The key thing we’d lose without the likes of Wicks, Corey, Fox at HF (particularly the last two) is running power though. They’re playing the roles where they have to go up and back and cover the field and the corridor which requires high octane running. Wicks and his tackling at speed is also a point of difference compared Adams and Parker.

I can’t wait to see how it looks with them and Mills in the side because without injuries it’s gonna be a very fine balancing act to maintain our ball movement and immense leg-speed influenced pressure whilst trying to boost our clearance game.

All class over on the Essendon board

They hate us and I couldn’t be enjoying it more.

After the Parker shrug saga and now Papley publicly mocking their "facade" they must be absolutely seething regarding anything Sydney at the moment.

The cherry will be pulverizing them in August to end their season on the note that it truly deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's weird that we talk about dynamism in our midfield in regards to trying to fit Adams & Parker in, as though it's firing on all cylinders and our most-used mid last night didn't get 10 disposals and absolutely murdered by his direct opponent in a completely pointless performance.

I love Rowbottom but if we don't see him as an attacking factor in our midfield then I'd take Adams or Parker's contest work in the midfield any day of the week and just play Rowbottom in the forward line if all we want him doing is tackling.

It's just so obvious it doesn't work.

He had two ripper games to start the season and his reward is to go back to the role that's gone so badly in the past. So much talk, even in the media, about him being an underrated player. Well this is why he's not that rated. Every time he looks ready to improve and take steps forward in his game he gets used in some counter-productive way that just makes him a non-factor again. Horse is an amazing coach and I'm very glad we've got him but it gets to a point where it's like gee whiz just get out of the kid's ****ing way. I'm sure I'll cop it for saying that but oh well. Just my opinion. Still think he's a great coach.
Sorry Caesar I feel the need to call you out on a few things here.
You claim to love Rowbottom but stick the knife in every chance you get because YOU don't like how he's being played, yet Lloyd - a player you actually do love, is running around looking for all to see completely gormless, escapes the wrath.
You lecture us on here like an authority on all things football, and I certainly bow to your knowledge, but you do post on here like YOU are the expert and Longmire and co really don't know what they are doing and should be consulting you on how to use their players.
Yes, Rowie had a mare on Saturday, but just maybe there was some reasoning behind it that didn't come off.

Sorry Caesar I feel the need to call you out on a few things here.
You claim to love Rowbottom but stick the knife in every chance you get because YOU don't like how he's being played, yet Lloyd - a player you actually do love, is running around looking for all to see completely gormless, escapes the wrath.
You lecture us on here like an authority on all things football, and I certainly bow to your knowledge, but you do post on here like YOU are the expert and Longmire and co really don't know what they are doing and should be consulting you on how to use their players.
Yes, Rowie had a mare on Saturday, but just maybe there was some reasoning behind it that didn't come off.
No need to apologise Jewels.

I'm not sure how having an opinion based on things I observe amounts to "lecturing" or being "an authority" or an "expert." I see plenty of comments on here I don't agree with but I don't interpret them to be anything other than that - a comment I don't agree with. I liken this place to a gigantic pub table where we may all have differing takes on things but at the end of the day we could all have a beer and get along great as equals and fellow Swans fans. I think the wheels fall off when we start assuming some know more than others, or that some think they know more than others.

There are people a lot harsher on our coach than me. I praise him constantly and arguably excessively, so it's a bit absurd if I can't question one single thing he does without the retort being that I think I know more than him.

Re Rowbottom, I don't really know how much clearer I can be, or how many more times I can say it. I think he is a gun player (who still tackles and defends!!!!) and we a better team when he is not used so defensively, and I think he is a very average player and us a lesser team when he is used more defensively. Of course I think his record and history shows that, but again, it is just my opinion and nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the Essendon Edge stuff... I really don't think the Peter Wright Incident had anything to do with that. I believe he genuinely was going to contest in the air but made the last second decision to brace for impact and there was no malice involved at all and he seened genuinely remorseful after the game in apologising to Harry. Having said that he should, and will be suspended for it.

Some of the other things though like Draper on Lloyd and also on Papley were definitely part of the "Essendon Edge" stuff and that's fine. I have no major problem with it as long as the umpires pay frees when the mark is overstepped. I don't agree with Papley's take that it was all off the ball but then again, maybe he was copping treatment behind play that the cameras didn't catch.

It's all a bit of a storm in a tea cup. Essendon probably got a bit of an advantage in some ways by playing that way, but Papley was right to point out that if it doesn't result in a win on the scoreboard then yeah, it's a bit of a facade intended to cover over the cracks in other areas of your game. We turned up the pressure in the 2nd half and they simply couldn't take it. Get better Essendon.

I believe he genuinely was going to contest in the air but made the last second decision to brace for impact and there was no malice involved at all and he seened genuinely remorseful after the game in apologising to Harry.

You have a lot more empathy than me. I think he was being 'apologetic' to save his own ass.

I also think he was aware Cunningham was there, because he had a ... what ... 50 metre runup?

I don't think he meant to knock him out, but he definitely went in with the 'Essendon edge' mindset.

I wasn't even aware of what Brad Scott said during the week, but I already knew the bombers were instructed to go out and hurt our players. It was really obvious watching the opening 10 minutes. Hence why I got banned on gameday for having a go at people defending it.

Just on the Essendon Edge stuff... I really don't think the Peter Wright Incident had anything to do with that. I believe he genuinely was going to contest in the air but made the last second decision to brace for impact and there was no malice involved at all and he seened genuinely remorseful after the game in apologising to Harry. Having said that he should, and will be suspended for it.

Some of the other things though like Draper on Lloyd and also on Papley were definitely part of the "Essendon Edge" stuff and that's fine. I have no major problem with it as long as the umpires pay frees when the mark is overstepped. I don't agree with Papley's take that it was all off the ball but then again, maybe he was copping treatment behind play that the cameras didn't catch.

It's all a bit of a storm in a tea cup. Essendon probably got a bit of an advantage in some ways by playing that way, but Papley was right to point out that if it doesn't result in a win on the scoreboard then yeah, it's a bit of a facade intended to cover over the cracks in other areas of your game. We turned up the pressure in the 2nd half and they simply couldn't take it. Get better Essendon.
I don't think Wright was trying to iron Cunningham out. It was just clumsy but he chose to jump and brace and copped him high so he'll do the time. The Draper incident definitely had more malice in it but was ineffective luckily.

We're still in that transition where we're caught between romanticising people being hard and focusing on duty of care. If Wright had pulled out of the contest to protect Cunningham he probably would have been called soft but the way the game is being officiated, duty of care is the priority, and rightly so I say. We're now understanding the massive long term damage from successive concussions and the head has to be sacrosanct.

I've never considered thuggery to be hardness. It's usually cowardly. I've got more respect from drilling someone in a legal tackle like Rowbottom on De Goey than I do for some idiot lining up a player who isn't expecting it.

I don't think Wright was trying to iron Cunningham out. It was just clumsy but he chose to jump and brace and copped him high so he'll do the time. The Draper incident definitely had more malice in it but was ineffective luckily.

We're still in that transition where we're caught between romanticising people being hard and focusing on duty of care. If Wright had pulled out of the contest to protect Cunningham he probably would have been called soft but the way the game is being officiated, duty of care is the priority, and rightly so I say. We're now understanding the massive long term damage from successive concussions and the head has to be sacrosanct.

I've never considered thuggery to be hardness. It's usually cowardly. I've got more respect from drilling someone in a legal tackle like Rowbottom on De Goey than I do for some idiot lining up a player who isn't expecting it.
Given the tone of the Bombers on Saturday I do believe Wright tried to hurt Cunningham. Probably not knock him out but as soon as he saw Cunningham in the way he went to inflict

Right now he is behind every other mid sized player who played last night

Plus Adams, Parker, Mills, Fox, Sheldrick

Not necessarily ahead of anyone else left either , maybe cleary gets a go

I wouldn't consider Cleary this year...let him spend his first year developing in the Magoo's.

I wouldn't consider Cleary this year...let him spend his first year developing in the Magoo's.

At least. It's not a bad thing if he spends it there, much rather him get full games tehre than be out of position or the sub in the top side at best, we aren't playing Cleary in a starting mid position.

Sydney v Essendon​

9 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
7 Tom Papley (SYD)
6 Errol Gulden (SYD)
6 Zach Merrett (ESS)
1 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Samuel Durham (ESS)

LEADERBOARD

28 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
21 Tom Green (GWS)
18 Matt Rowell (GCFC)
17 Zak Butters (PORT)