Sydney Stack Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough in most of that. Don't get me wrong, i am all for him getting his chance this year to turn it around. I just think in a group of 42 guys if 1 is taking way more time than any other, he is likely a burden on your system and its probably unfair on his teammates.

The thing is with exuberance - its all fun and games when you are winning and playing well. The second you aren't - it becomes a weight on your back & a burden to your system.

Stacks 2019 season was brilliant - he nailed it. His exuberance resulted in seeing the best version of him. A great player, supporters of all clubs loved him. But was that type of thing sustainable? And how does he handle it when things don't all go his way? That is the key to "The Tiger Way" which has seen us crawl from the sh*t ol days IMO. There was no way you can have a 10 year career if you need that level of attention to sustain your output.

Once Stack got injured in 2019, his form really dropped off. He was mediocre in the VFL finals. That was passable as there was a bit of a perception that he might have been rushed back to give him a chance

2020 though was very ordinary. Looked like he came back out of shape. Was handed more chances than any other player based on not a lot of form tbh. When he was dropped to the reserves, i personally didnt think he did much to show he was willing to work his way back. That "lack of interest" problem could have been passed off as a "hub" side-effect - but he escalated it bigtime when he pulled the stripper stunt, 2 weeks out from the finals. I thought what he and CCJ did what the most selfish thing I have seen in a long while by 2 fringe players while their teammates were approaching a massive finals push - the entire club was under attack for weeks prior to that (Cotchins, Grimes, Lynch, Vloss, Short ) - we had finally got on top of the negative media attacks & then these 2 pull out "kebab-gate". It was really, really selfish.

Even after he got out of jail, the guy should have been staying dead quiet and letting it pass by. Instead, he was bloody posting stupid sh*t on IG like below, drawing more attention to himself.

This is all real petty stuff, but it makes me seriously question if he can handle being the 30th man in a team of 40. All he has needed to do since the kebab-gate is be invisible and let it blow over. Get off social media etc.

"Once Stack got injured in 2019, his form really dropped off"

That's the funny thing about injury. It's stops you playing your best.

You personally didn't think stack did much to get back after injury in the hub? Did you get that impression from watching all those 11 on 11 scratch matches behind close doors did you?

"Even after he got out of jail, the guy should have been staying dead quiet and letting it pass by. Instead, he was bloody posting stupid sh*t on IG like below, drawing more attention to himself."

You might want to check the date of that IG post mate just quietly. Was made over a month before he went into jail.

Interested in your thoughts on Naish and his approach to training. If Stack is taking more time than others, Naish is taking eons to show return on investment. Any theories on what he can deal with psychologically being in a team of 40?

Even Egg you speak highly of was criticized by Hardwick post game just days ago for having similar issues to stack. Doing what's required consistently and taking advantage of the talent that he has.

Fair enough in most of that. Don't get me wrong, i am all for him getting his chance this year to turn it around. I just think in a group of 42 guys if 1 is taking way more time than any other, he is likely a burden on your system and its probably unfair on his teammates.

The thing is with exuberance - its all fun and games when you are winning and playing well. The second you aren't - it becomes a weight on your back & a burden to your system.

Stacks 2019 season was brilliant - he nailed it. His exuberance resulted in seeing the best version of him. A great player, supporters of all clubs loved him. But was that type of thing sustainable? And how does he handle it when things don't all go his way? That is the key to "The Tiger Way" which has seen us crawl from the sh*t ol days IMO. There was no way you can have a 10 year career if you need that level of attention to sustain your output.

Once Stack got injured in 2019, his form really dropped off. He was mediocre in the VFL finals. That was passable as there was a bit of a perception that he might have been rushed back to give him a chance

2020 though was very ordinary. Looked like he came back out of shape. Was handed more chances than any other player based on not a lot of form tbh. When he was dropped to the reserves, i personally didnt think he did much to show he was willing to work his way back. That "lack of interest" problem could have been passed off as a "hub" side-effect - but he escalated it bigtime when he pulled the stripper stunt, 2 weeks out from the finals. I thought what he and CCJ did what the most selfish thing I have seen in a long while by 2 fringe players while their teammates were approaching a massive finals push - the entire club was under attack for weeks prior to that (Cotchins, Grimes, Lynch, Vloss, Short ) - we had finally got on top of the negative media attacks & then these 2 pull out "kebab-gate". It was really, really selfish.

Even after he got out of jail, the guy should have been staying dead quiet and letting it pass by. Instead, he was bloody posting stupid sh*t on IG like below, drawing more attention to himself.

This is all real petty stuff, but it makes me seriously question if he can handle being the 30th man in a team of 40. All he has needed to do since the kebab-gate is be invisible and let it blow over. Get off social media etc.

Your analysis of his 2019 is all correct - he had 3 good games in the reserves then played about 15 odd games straight. Beyond that, i have never really seen him react well to being dropped or losing his spot. His form in seniors and reserves in 2020 was ordinary. Once he got dropped in round 13, he literally disappeared. He had a very good run in the seniors, much more opportunity that the likes of RCD, Naish, Ross have been given, but the second it had to be re-earned, i am not convinced i saw him do that well. He needs to earn it harder than those blokes now - all those guys deserve to pass him on merit

For all the good attitude he has come back with. (literally been 1 week) - its hard to fathom he then broke the quarantine protocols again when get got home from Perth. To do that twice in 3 months is really, really selfish and stupid. He has to wear it. If he can turn it around i will be super impressed with him. I will support him along the way - but he also needs to realise that he has lost a hell of a lot of trust with the team and its supporters. I think the harder that trust is for him to earn back now, the more likely we see a sustained long term change in his behaviour as opposed to a short-term fix that yo-yos for the rest of his career. My call on his fitness comes from his own words too btw, which is a good thing as he is at least being realistic about his chances & i think supporters probably need to do the same thing, for his own good

"When asked if he thinks he will be able to return to AFL ranks after serving the remainder of his ban, Stack replied: "Not in my head, I don't think so."

"It (my body) is not AFL ready. I have a lot of work to do when I get back."

Stack didn't play VFL finals in 2019 other than the GF.

From Wikipedia:
Stack excelled with 15 disposals in the first half of his first match at VFL level since March, before suffering a serious ankle injury just before half time.[70][71] He underwent surgery to repair what was revealed to be a syndesmosis injury and with a recovery time frame of four weeks, was at risk of missing the entirety of the club's AFL and VFL finals series.[72][73] Stack resumed weight-assisted running one week after his surgery and was running unassisted and taking part in light drills by the middle of September.[74][75] He returned to football in the club's VFL grand final, five weeks after his initial injury.[76][77] Stack played on reduced minutes and suffered a fresh minor rolled ankle in the match, notching a total of six disposals as his side won the club's first reserves premiership since 1997.[78][79]

You seem to think Stack was dropped around r.13, he wasn't he was dropped after 17 games, round 22.
www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-cult-hero-sydney-stack-struck-down-by-potential-seasonending-injury/news-story/34e49905559a1fac0230b3dc71cfa0da

Also hub life is no way to judge him I don't believe. Neither was self isolating and training by himself in the pre-season. He will wise up quick enough or find the door. It is up to him, and I don't think we are qualified to judge him just yet.

....etc

To summarise all this up, basically all you need to do is compare how CCJ handled the aftermath of the kebab incident vs Sydney. If Stack was able to just let the story die out keep himself out of trouble - he would be in a completely different boat right now. CCJ is playing footy, fit and kept out of the media
Stack didn't play VFL finals in 2019 other than the GF.

From Wikipedia:
Stack excelled with 15 disposals in the first half of his first match at VFL level since March, before suffering a serious ankle injury just before half time.[70][71] He underwent surgery to repair what was revealed to be a syndesmosis injury and with a recovery time frame of four weeks, was at risk of missing the entirety of the club's AFL and VFL finals series.[72][73] Stack resumed weight-assisted running one week after his surgery and was running unassisted and taking part in light drills by the middle of September.[74][75] He returned to football in the club's VFL grand final, five weeks after his initial injury.[76][77] Stack played on reduced minutes and suffered a fresh minor rolled ankle in the match, notching a total of six disposals as his side won the club's first reserves premiership since 1997.[78][79]

You seem to think Stack was dropped around r.13, he wasn't he was dropped after 17 games, round 22.
www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-cult-hero-sydney-stack-struck-down-by-potential-seasonending-injury/news-story/34e49905559a1fac0230b3dc71cfa0da

Also hub life is no way to judge him I don't believe. Neither was self isolating and training by himself in the pre-season. He will wise up quick enough or find the door. It is up to him, and I don't think we are qualified to judge him just yet.

*, if you want to go around fact checking me for minor details then go for it - i am not on a commission here and write most of this off vague memory.

I said his 2019 was stellar. Played 3 games in the reserves then played a a bunch of games until he got injured. His form was ordinary in the vfl finals he came back in. i thought he played 2, perhaps he played 1. Does it really matter? I literally said his 2019 was stellar & said his poor form in the final(s) was passable as he might have been rushed back

2020 is the yang to his 2019. It sucked. Thats why he went backwards in every "per game" average statistically, got dropped twice, barely got in the best once, suspended for 10weeks , kicked out of the hub & nearly got himself sacked from his job - and eventually went to court & spent christmas in jail. I recall most fans crying foul because they couldn't understand why he was getting games ahead of others - his form, attitude and performance was notably poor to everyone.

Anything that happened to Sydney in 2019 was not much of a concern for me - it was the total shitshow which was 2020 I am worried about. His personality screams instability issues & he has literally had the best and worst year of most peoples career in the only 2 seasons. The biggest risk for him as a player & a person is to yo-yo between these 2 highs and lows - its a terrible, terrible thing for your career and life in general. It was always the risk with him and the reason he went undrafted. To fix the issue it will actually help if the supporters expectations on him live within that reality, that we are better off allowing him to take very slow, incremental improvement over bombastic results. I honestly think the best thing for him is to spend the year committed to the VFL team, re-sign with us as a rookie at years end- then go into 2022 trying to earn a spot back in the 22 and a new contract.

Feel free to fact check me for odds and ends on his stellar 2019 though, doesn't change any of my points one iota.

To summarise all this up, basically all you need to do is compare how CCJ handled the aftermath of the kebab incident vs Sydney. If Stack was able to just let the story die out keep himself out of trouble - he would be in a completely different boat right now. CCJ is playing footy, fit and kept out of the media

fu**, if you want to go around fact checking me for minor details then go for it - i am not on a commission here and write most of this off vague memory.

I said his 2019 was stellar. Played 3 games in the reserves then played a a bunch of games until he got injured. His form was ordinary in the vfl finals he came back in. i thought he played 2, perhaps he played 1. Does it really matter? I literally said his 2019 was stellar & said his poor form in the final(s) was passable as he might have been rushed back

2020 is the yang to his 2019. It sucked. Thats why he went backwards in every "per game" average statistically, got dropped twice, barely got in the best once, suspended for 10weeks , kicked out of the hub & nearly got himself sacked from his job - and eventually went to court & spent christmas in jail. I recall most fans crying foul because they couldn't understand why he was getting games ahead of others - his form, attitude and performance was notably poor to everyone.

Anything that happened to Sydney in 2019 was not much of a concern for me - it was the total shitshow which was 2020 I am worried about. His personality screams instability issues & he has literally had the best and worst year of most peoples career in the only 2 seasons. The biggest risk for him as a player & a person is to yo-yo between these 2 highs and lows - its a terrible, terrible thing for your career and life in general. It was always the risk with him and the reason he went undrafted. To fix the issue it will actually help if the supporters expectations on him live within that reality, that we are better off allowing him to take very slow, incremental improvement over bombastic results. I honestly think the best thing for him is to spend the year committed to the VFL team, re-sign with us as a rookie at years end- then go into 2022 trying to earn a spot back in the 22 and a new contract.

Feel free to fact check me for odds and ends on his stellar 2019 though, doesn't change any of my points one iota.
Minor details. You stated he was average at VFL level, and made it sound like he was down there for quite a few weeks when in fact he was BOG in the only half he played, (came back for the GF and re-injured his ankle.) You can't make criticisms about players without checking some facts over your memory, which does change your point quite a bit as it shows some sort of prejudice.

Yes he sucked in 2020. He obviously did not cope without the structures of the club. Every young kid is different, and Stack is certainly different. Self motivation is probably not his strong suit and you need that when you train alone. Compare him to Bailey Smith, who by all the reports is a mad trainer doing extra sessions etc. He has publicly stated his battle with mental health. Stack could well be mentally stronger than Smith in some aspects of life, not so in others. I think it is unfair to judge a player on last years Covid year.

Of course he is a bit of a risk, that is why he wasn't drafted. Showed a lot of people were wrong in 2019 and a lot of people they were right in 2020. I think it fair to judge him later in the year, not just now. You have already dropped him for the year and putting him on the rookie list for next! That actually shows a fair bit of prejudice to be honest.

Minor details. You stated he was average at VFL level, and made it sound like he was down there for quite a few weeks when in fact he was BOG in the only half he played, (came back for the GF and re-injured his ankle.) You can't make criticisms about players without checking some facts over your memory, which does change your point quite a bit as it shows some sort of prejudice.

Yes he sucked in 2020. He obviously did not cope without the structures of the club. Every young kid is different, and Stack is certainly different. Self motivation is probably not his strong suit and you need that when you train alone. Compare him to Bailey Smith, who by all the reports is a mad trainer doing extra sessions etc. He has publicly stated his battle with mental health. Stack could well be mentally stronger than Smith in some aspects of life, not so in others. I think it is unfair to judge a player on last years Covid year.

Of course he is a bit of a risk, that is why he wasn't drafted. Showed a lot of people were wrong in 2019 and a lot of people they were right in 2020. I think it fair to judge him later in the year, not just now. You have already dropped him for the year and putting him on the rookie list for next! That actually shows a fair bit of prejudice to be honest.

Yeah your right - he is a model player and a role model for all. Gimme a break. Dude's 2020 was among the worst years you could hope for as a player. All the wow he had in his ONE season that made him memorable was completely gone. 2019 his hands were incredible, never dropped a mark - hit players as hard as a truck - last year he didn't do any of that, ever. Even before the kebab crap, he was highly disappointing. Down in every stat. Next to no impact in games. No shortage of people here or on PRE wanted him dropped and for good reason.. Ive said his 2019 was awesome, and his 2020 stunk like turds - are we really debating a difference in opinion or detail about a couple of VFL games back in 2019?

There is no mincing words when it comes to Dimma's attitude and expectations from him

Hardwick himself has said he is at a "fork in the road" for his life/career & "but has work to do in proving he wants to reignite his career."

“In his own time, he will get up, he’ll address the group, he will tell his situation of what he has been through and, more importantly, what he wants to do going forward. That’s the big one for us. We can sit there and hang people on their past but, more importantly, it’s what he is going to do with his first step in the door.”

“It’s early days but I think Marlion would be a good role model for him. He has been through some significant challenges himself. There us no greater example to look at a guy to his left really and make his way in the world today,” he said.

When your coach is using Marlion Pickett as a good role model for you to get back into order, you know you have a very very long path ahead to earn back his trust. Marlion has became an exceptional person and story,but only because his previous * ups were so large & destructive. Not sure i would rather be compared to him over Cotchin, Edwards etc

At this point of his career - Syd will either be a Marlion or a Harley. Choice is his. We can argue over a ******* half of vfl footy he played in 2019, but really wont make * all difference to the point of all my comments on him. You sound as desperate as a ******* republican trying to discredit Fauci about COVID details in congress - laughable

Yeah your right - he is a model player and a role model for all. Gimme a break. Dude's 2020 was among the worst years you could hope for as a player. All the wow he had in his ONE season that made him memorable was completely gone. 2019 his hands were incredible, never dropped a mark - hit players as hard as a truck - last year he didn't do any of that, ever. Even before the kebab crap, he was highly disappointing. Down in every stat. Next to no impact in games. No shortage of people here or on PRE wanted him dropped and for good reason.. Ive said his 2019 was awesome, and his 2020 stunk like turds - are we really debating a difference in opinion or detail about a couple of VFL games back in 2019?

There is no mincing words when it comes to Dimma's attitude and expectations from him

Hardwick himself has said he is at a "fork in the road" for his life/career & "but has work to do in proving he wants to reignite his career."

“In his own time, he will get up, he’ll address the group, he will tell his situation of what he has been through and, more importantly, what he wants to do going forward. That’s the big one for us. We can sit there and hang people on their past but, more importantly, it’s what he is going to do with his first step in the door.”

“It’s early days but I think Marlion would be a good role model for him. He has been through some significant challenges himself. There us no greater example to look at a guy to his left really and make his way in the world today,” he said.

When your coach is using Marlion Pickett as a good role model for you to get back into order, you know you have a very very long path ahead to earn back his trust. Marlion has became an exceptional person and story,but only because his previous fu** ups were so large & destructive. Not sure i would rather be compared to him over Cotchin, Edwards etc

At this point of his career - Syd will either be a Marlion or a Harley. Choice is his. We can argue over a ******* half of vfl footy he played in 2019, but really wont make fu** all difference to the point of all my comments on him. You sound as desperate as a ******* republican trying to discredit Fauci about COVID details in congress - laughable
And I'm pretty sure I agreed with you. 'His 2020 sucked..' sorry if I gave what i thought might be a reason why.

And as far as Pickett goes, wow. His previous fu** ups were so large and destructive... Really. An aboriginal young man who came up on the wrong side of the tracks is jailed as an 18 year old, barely a man, and who has been clean since, raised a family of 4 does not in my eyes deserve such condemnation, quite the opposite. He has worked with troubled youth for years and seems a pretty good choice as mentor. What would Cotchin know about coming from the wrong side of the tracks, although as has been pointed out previously, he has also reached out to Cotchin.

You go off half cocked and then whinge when somebody pulls you up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We actually need him fit asap. He's much better than Aarts and Rioli is out of form.
If the reports about his fitness are correct doubt we see him match fit for at least a few months
Especially with the cut to interchanges this season
Can’t afford to carry anyone

If the reports about his fitness are correct doubt we see him match fit for at least a few months
Especially with the cut to interchanges this season
Can’t afford to carry anyone

Balmey said he isn’t too far away from being able to play VFL fitness wise, could probably play now but that doesn’t mean he will. Balmey indicated he might do a mini pre season. That sounded fairly encouraging to me.

Balmey said he isn’t too far away from being able to play VFL fitness wise, could probably play now but that doesn’t mean he will. Balmey indicated he might do a mini pre season. That sounded fairly encouraging to me.
VFL didn’t have the interchange cuts that the AFL did so it’s fine for a player to only play one qtr and sit out the rest of the game
A mini pre season would still constitute a 3 - 4 week block of massive running minutes and we would still need to manage his load in order not to risk soft tissue injury’s

Minimum 2 months away imo

VFL didn’t have the interchange cuts that the AFL did so it’s fine for a player to only play one qtr and sit out the rest of the game
A mini pre season would still constitute a 3 - 4 week block of massive running minutes and we would still need to manage his load in order not to risk soft tissue injury’s

Minimum 2 months away imo
Well he's only been here a week and he will miss 4 weeks as is, so that sounds about right. You don't come into calculations to play according to Balme if you've been sitting on the couch eating polly waffles. He would most likely have some good running under his belt, but as he has done no competitive stuff at all he will need to build that up. If he comes into contention in a couple of months that is fine, 12 games to go.

**** reading this thread is like groundhog day, all over again. Again.
Keep visiting this thread hoping to get an update on how he is tracking. Regret it every time. The negativity from some people is just ridiculous. He is a Richmond player and until powers that be at the club decide he shouldn’t be will back him to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back