Preview Sydney v Essendon SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may have been in two minds how to play it. He had a team mate running into goal so was possibly thinking how to gain possession while staying on his feet (ie not lunging to mark it) so he could either pop it over the top or toe-poke it.

And he did get an awkward bounce.

It was a stuff up, but no more so than Hayward spoiling McDonald or Campbell spoiling McCartin.
Honestly feel like avoiding those stuff-ups from Hayward & Campbell can only come from the talls getting better and better. More confidence that the talls have got things covered means they can focus on being in position to crumb. Although I rate Hayward as probably our worst decision-maker, so it's something I think he needs to work on with himself. That rush of blood to the head thing.

I think a common theme in our best players is they have trust and confidence in their teammates and what they need to do in any given play. Such as being front and centre for an incoming ball, rather than trying to contest it with minimal chance of actually marking it.

Honestly feel like avoiding those stuff-ups from Hayward & Campbell can only come from the talls getting better and better. More confidence that the talls have got things covered means they can focus on being in position to crumb. Although I rate Hayward as probably our worst decision-maker, so it's something I think he needs to work on with himself. That rush of blood to the head thing.

I think a common theme in our best players is they have trust and confidence in their teammates and what they need to do in any given play. Such as being front and centre for an incoming ball, rather than trying to contest it with minimal chance of actually marking it.

This.

It drives me bananas. Thought last year Will was resisting the urge to attempt speckles against his taller teammates. It was imo the area of his game that had improved. Problem is Will is not an adept crumber.

He may have been in two minds how to play it. He had a team mate running into goal so was possibly thinking how to gain possession while staying on his feet (ie not lunging to mark it) so he could either pop it over the top or toe-poke it.

And he did get an awkward bounce.

It was a stuff up, but no more so than Hayward spoiling McDonald or Campbell spoiling McCartin.

hmmm ... those examples you cite were surely more about lack of composure in a desperate moment
i don't think that's the same in lloyd's case ... he lacked composure under the pressure of expectation, it was basically training drill stuff and because of that, there was also an element of complacency (to me)
subconsciously, he has to be thinking "this is easy", in those other examples the players would never have had that thought

Dew point forecast at 14 for 8pm. Saturday.
Ambient temperature of 19.
SW -Southerly winds
So pretty much sweet FA chance of dew.
I think humidity was the issue against Melbourne, not dew.

IIRC it was high 80s against Melbourne. The forecast for Friday is high 60s. I am not expert, but I think that is still pretty high.

I would be considering playing one less tall.

I just think Lloyd is being played out of position.
However I think his best position is going to be filled from now on.

I think humidity was the issue against Melbourne, not dew.

IIRC it was high 80s against Melbourne. The forecast for Friday is high 60s. I am not expert, but I think that is still pretty high.

I would be considering playing one less tall.
The game is on Saturday.

Basically Dew Point is a is a measure of water vapor in the air.
Ie how "muggy" the air is.
The dew point is the temperature where the air must be cooled to form condensation — or dew.
On the 7th of March the actual temperature and the Dew point were very close in number. Around 22 and 21 respectively. The closer these two numbers are. The more moisture in the air and the muggier it will be.
What that does is form moisture on surfaces (like footballs, people etc etc). Hence. Everything is slippery.

Vice Versa. The greater the distance between the Temp and Dew Point. The drier the air.

Here is a great article.

The game is on Saturday.

Basically Dew Point is a is a measure of water vapor in the air.
Ie how "muggy" the air is.
The dew point is the temperature where the air must be cooled to form condensation — or dew.
On the 7th of March the actual temperature and the Dew point were very close in number. Around 22 and 21 respectively. The closer these two numbers are. The more moisture in the air and the muggier it will be.
What that does is form moisture on surfaces (like footballs, people etc etc). Hence. Everything is slippery.

Vice Versa. The greater the distance between the Temp and Dew Point. The drier the air.

Here is a great article.
See? This is why I come to this forum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm ... those examples you cite were surely more about lack of composure in a desperate moment
i don't think that's the same in lloyd's case ... he lacked composure under the pressure of expectation, it was basically training drill stuff and because of that, there was also an element of complacency (to me)
subconsciously, he has to be thinking "this is easy", in those other examples the players would never have had that thought
Lloyd spent it before he earned it, so wasn't prepared when the bounce of the ball didn't go his way. The kick from Papley had a little too much on it as well and could've easily gone through for a behind before Lloyd could even get to it. It happens. You only need to be a fraction off for things to go wrong in footy but it's why consistent application over four quarters is so important - buys you many more opportunities to render any mistakes meaningless.

I’m interested in whom Robbie Fox plays on this week. There’s no interceptor that I can see in the Bombers side - Ridley is injured. Rodman won’t play given he’s suspended and is more of a rebounding player anyway. Fox might get a job on Nic Martin or Andrew McGrath to quell their rebound.

I'd be intrigued to know where Sir Dane & Lloyd's 200 games played together sits on the record of most games played together from multiple players taken in the same rookie draft. I'm sure it's common to have two players taken in the same national draft achieve this record (ie. Curnow/McKay, Butters/Rozee seem headed for this), but not so much from the rookie draft.

Which reminds me of another thing I saw on Twitter a while back. If Rowbottom re-signs for at least next year, we'd have had five players (him, Blakey, McInerney, Wicks & McLean) taken from the same overall draft (ie. national, rookie, PSSP) last at least seven years on a list together. That would also have to be getting up there in the record books you'd imagine.

I'd be intrigued to know where Sir Dane & Lloyd's 200 games played together sits on the record of most games played together from multiple players taken in the same rookie draft. I'm sure it's common to have two players taken in the same national draft achieve this record (ie. Curnow/McKay, Butters/Rozee seem headed for this), but not so much from the rookie draft.

Which reminds me of another thing I saw on Twitter a while back. If Rowbottom re-signs for at least next year, we'd have had five players (him, Blakey, McInerney, Wicks & McLean) taken from the same overall draft (ie. national, rookie, PSSP) last at least seven years on a list together. That would also have to be getting up there in the record books you'd imagine.

Not the largest list, could work it out. Eyeballing most team mates at least 1 are from the draft

I just think Lloyd is being played out of position.
However I think his best position is going to be filled from now on.

sounds uncomfortable

Essendon friend sent me his matchups reckoning they had the edge

not even sure why he thinks these will happen or how they favour them

Heeney v Perkins
Rowbottom v setterfield
Gulden v Merrett
Warner v Parish
Papley v McGrath
McDonald v MCKay

Lloyd spent it before he earned it, so wasn't prepared when the bounce of the ball didn't go his way. The kick from Papley had a little too much on it as well and could've easily gone through for a behind before Lloyd could even get to it. It happens. You only need to be a fraction off for things to go wrong in footy but it's why consistent application over four quarters is so important - buys you many more opportunities to render any mistakes meaningless.
Lloyd took a look at the post and lost the ball. Not a great kick but he should have marked it if he'd watched it all the way. Such is life.

Looks like Bombers will be missing a few

Team Tips: With Jordan Ridley unavailable following a pre-season quad strain, the last thing the Bombers needed was for another of their key pillars in defence to fall victim to injury. And yet, that’s exactly what happened last Saturday, as Zach Reid exited the contest early after succumbing to ‘hamstring awareness’. A strain has since been confirmed for the 2020 top-10 draftee, signalling time on the sidelines for another one of Essendon’s important stoppers. Then, to make matters worse, the MRO slapped Mason Redman with one-match ban after his strike on Hawthorn’s Jai Newcombe. Early indications would suggest veteran backman Jayden Laverde — an emergency last Saturday — is firmly in the mix for a call-up this Saturday, while rebounder Nick Hind could also be reintroduced after being left out against the Hawks. Meantime, Brad Scott revealed on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 on Monday that forward Matt Guelfi will miss with a calf complaint. Further, ball-winners Darcy Parish (hamstring) and Dylan Shiel (foot) remain out of the side, as third-year onballer Ben Hobbs still can’t get a look-in at selection. Speaking on Parish, Scott told reporters on Wednesday: “I suspect he’ll be made medically available; he’ll train fully today… It’ll come down to more of a coaching decision more than a medical decision.”

As for Hobbs, Scott said “he’s ready to play AFL footy ... He’ll come into our team whether it’s this week or pretty soon.” Foxfooty.com.au understands there’ll be more than just three forced changes, with young forward Harrison Jones expected to lose his place in the side. Sam Draper was named an emergency for the Hawthorn match after returning to action via the VFL, as he plots an imminent return to the senior level. Scott said he’s “a good chance” to play the Swans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back