Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and a lot are overrating it too....1 swallow doesn't make a summer. He is not a player that I'd have in that pay bracket off of his career thus far so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If he comes at the right price $550 - $600K and can be had for reasonable draft collateral fine but not at $750K and serious draft collateral.

Pick 4 in any form should not even be considered to be anywhere the table because you can absolutely take to the bank that will be Kinnear Beatson's starting point in negotiations.
Who are we going to spend our cap on given its full of kids?

Yeah.. im with you.. im slightly perplexed at our fellow supporters here worrying about overpaying for dawson given our salary cap position..

We’d have about 1.5 - 2 million of space this year given all the players that have left in the past couple of seasons and those payments to players like gibbs, betts and jj now ending..

And we’ve spent sweet FA of it.. all we’ve bought in is kids and some delisters from other clubs and all on minimum chips..

Wouldnt phase me at all if we gave dawson $700-750 a year over 4.. and heavily frontloaded it and gave him $1.5 of it next year alone.. then only have to pay him $500k for the following three..

We need to spend it anyway.. there’s a minimum spend we need to meet..

In the next two years tex and sloanes contracts are up freeing up a further 1.6m as both these lads are on around $800k too..

Betts was a way bigger need than Jordan Dawson IMO.....and I was not in the "some" category with Eddie btw.
I'll quite agreeably be put in the "some" category with Dawson if we're talking $700K or north of that sum.
A more recent example is the $700k paid by North Melbourne for Polec off a B&F season.

I think most are comfortable that North overpaid, and likewise I think that much for Dawson would be overpaying.

Other than size Patty Parnell is very similar, in fact I believe he's a better kick than Dawson and height isn't a big part in Dawson's game anyhow.

Cook IMO has the potential to be a better footballer than Dawson anyhow.
Dawsons strengths are his flexibility and kicking .....but we don't have a height defficiency down back & I agree Parnell is an equally good kick, maybe not as long a kick as Dawson

However if the thought process is to get Dawson as an outside mid .....this is a big tick in my book

Yeah and a lot are overrating it too....1 swallow doesn't make a summer. He is not a player that I'd have in that pay bracket off of his career thus far so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If he comes at the right price $550 - $600K and can be had for reasonable draft collateral fine but not at $750K and serious draft collateral.

Pick 4 in any form should not even be considered to be anywhere the table because you can absolutely take to the bank that will be Kinnear Beatson's starting point in negotiations.
Look I don’t disagree, I would try not to go 750k as well, but I don’t think he’ll require over the top dollars anyway

In the event he nominated us, I’d try to look for trading out this and next year’s second round picks for him, but will Sydney go for that?

I think we could front end a deal that averages $700 to $750k over 4 years.

Especially with M Crouch on less coin. We don't have many 24 to 27 year olds worth that on our list.

After 2023 and beyond we need the cap space for guys like Jones TT, Schoenberg, Berry McHenry, Butts etc.

But agree on not using Pick 4 for Dawson.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree. Would hate to do a Carlton and overpay for a half back flank style player. Would definitely take Dawson at the right price, but the lost draft picks and inflated salary can hurt the rebuild.
Carlton definitely overpaid for William's, but the difference is that they justified it by claiming they would try to transition him into a midfielder. Where as I would think if we brought Dawson in, it would be to play half back/wing and let him play to his strengths.

Look I don’t disagree, I would try not to go 750k as well, but I don’t think he’ll require over the top dollars anyway

In the event he nominated us, I’d try to look for trading out this and next year’s second round picks for him, but will Sydney go for that?
Kinnear Beatson vs Justin Reid, we shall see.

Dawsons strengths are his flexibility and kicking .....but we don't have a height defficiency down back & I agree Parnell is an equally good kick, maybe not as long a kick as Dawson

However if the thought process is to get Dawson as an outside mid .....this is a big tick in my book
Given he was a mid/forward when drafted its not out of the realms of possibility the crows could look to throw him into the middle.. especially as we have a fair few half back flankers as it is.

If Milera can get back (and i noticed he’s now back out on the track which is a good sign) then I’d love him teaming up with Smith next year off half back..

Milera has more skill, xfactor and poise than most.

The other thing I was thinking the other night watching that dees-geelong game… where’s Tom Sparrows contract currently positioned?..
I thought he looked bloody good.. and he’s turning into a solid little nugget of a player thats looks to be tough as nails and he’s got some great skills..

If Cerra goes to Dees.. as is now being reported as very possible.. surely the Dees salary cap would then be bursting at the seams.

Maybe we should “keep our eyes on the sparrow”..

Other than size Patty Parnell is very similar, in fact I believe he's a better kick than Dawson and height isn't a big part in Dawson's game anyhow.

Cook IMO has the potential to be a better footballer than Dawson anyhow.
Doesnt mean we dont want more good footballers

The other thing I was thinking the other night watching that dees-geelong game… where’s Tom Sparrows contract currently positioned?..
I thought he looked bloody good.. and he’s turning into a solid little nugget of a player thats looks to be tough as nails and he’s got some great skills..
IIRC Sparrow re-signed this year ....2 years, but stand to be corrected

I think we could front end a deal that averages $700 to $750k over 4 years.

Especially with M Crouch on less coin. We don't have many 24 to 27 year olds worth that on our list.

After 2023 and beyond we need the cap space for guys like Jones TT, Schoenberg, Berry McHenry, Butts etc.

But agree on not using Pick 4 for Dawson.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The big question is Dawson worth that kind of $$$$'s off of one decent AFL season.

People are entitled to different opinions but I just don't see him at $700K+ being anything like good value, sure if his 2021 form had been preceded by a similar form line over an extended period but the fact is it's not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesnt mean we dont want more good footballers
And it doesn't mean we should overpay either both in salary and outgoing collateral to secure them.

Like I said recently the only poster on this board that had shown any real interest in Jordan Dawson over his time at the Swans prior to the media running with the fact he was a South Aussie and out of contract/unsigned was a Sturt supporting poster Drugs Mackay. There's definitely a fair sample of shinytoyitis.

Given he was a mid/forward when drafted its not out of the realms of possibility the crows could look to throw him into the middle.. especially as we have a fair few half back flankers as it is.

If Milera can get back (and i noticed he’s now back out on the track which is a good sign) then I’d love him teaming up with Smith next year off half back..

Milera has more skill, xfactor and poise than most.

If Cerra goes to Dees.. as is now being reported as very possible.. surely the Dees salary cap would then be bursting at the seams.

Maybe we should “keep our eyes on the sparrow”..
I’m not huge on Sparrow like some here are, but he’s building pretty well for someone that’s not quite getting consistent midfield minutes. Similar to McHenry, I guess

Either way, I don’t think he’s gettable

Make no mistake, by the way - if we’re getting Dawson we’re not getting him to play HBF

He’ll be an outside mid that can push either end of the ground occasionally
I just hope if that's the case and it's our intention if he lands at the Crows it has better results than Zac Williams' midfield transition for Carlton.

The big question is Dawson worth that kind of $$$$'s off of one decent AFL season.

People are entitled to different opinions but I just don't see him at $700K+ being anything like good value, sure if his 2021 form had been preceded by a similar form line over an extended period but the fact is it's not.

I agree. The club however will be looking for a good news story and this might be it.....

Yeah.. im with you.. im slightly perplexed at our fellow supporters here worrying about overpaying for dawson given our salary cap position..

We’d have about 1.5 - 2 million of space this year given all the players that have left in the past couple of seasons and those payments to players like gibbs, betts and jj now ending..

And we’ve spent sweet FA of it.. all we’ve bought in is kids and some delisters from other clubs and all on minimum chips..

Wouldnt phase me at all if we gave dawson $700-750 a year over 4.. and heavily frontloaded it and gave him $1.5 of it next year alone.. then only have to pay him $500k for the following three..

We need to spend it anyway.. there’s a minimum spend we need to meet..

In the next two years tex and sloanes contracts are up freeing up a further 1.6m as both these lads are on around $800k too..
Plus we know we have to overpay to bring in players, other clubs have done to us so its about time we got real and joined what the rest of the competition are doing.

If the stories are true and we have targeted Dawson all year we obviously rate him and there is another competitor in town.

To miss out because we won't spend the money would be idiotic given our list demographic.

I have asked Mutineer who we are going to spend our money on a couple of times and he hasn't responded.

That's probably the biggest selling point for me. We can hurt a potential rival in 3-5 years and we have a more effective way to manage our cap, seeing you can easily front-load anything you give to Dawson to bring him back to a more manageable contract long term and you've found a good chunk of the money needed to bring in an A grader in 1 to 2 years.

Plus Dawson, Sholl, Jones is certainly the start of a pretty deadly outside core.

That's probably the biggest selling point for me. We can hurt a potential rival in 3-5 years and we have a more effective way to manage our cap, seeing you can easily front-load anything you give to Dawson to bring him back to a more manageable contract long term and you've found a good chunk of the money needed to bring in an A grader in 1 to 2 years.

Plus Dawson, Sholl, Jones is certainly the start of a pretty deadly outside core.
Just remember bringing all the kids in during a rebuild means they'll all have their handout for bigger contracts at the same time

Makes sense to bank some TPP funds now and not go thru what GWS went thru .....having to cast off players; a) because they mismanaged their TPP, by not banking some funds .... and b) overpaying their star players

Because we have a lot of space in our TPP, doesn't mean we have to spend it .....I believe the minimum TPP spend still sits at 95%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back