TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's "happening" in the sense that people have been appointed to think about how to convince the AFL to start considering a team in the distant future. Ultimately the local talent is key. Once it's at a level which the team doesn't have to rely heavily on players from interstate, then there's a case too strong to ignore.

A standalone women's team is much further away than a men's imo. U18 Tasmanian girls just lost by 58 and 68 points to NSW (the shallowest state talent pool after Tas). Those are worse than wallopings in a low-scoring context. Since there's less money in AFLW, local talent is even more important because it's too expensive to relocate players, hence no team has more than a couple interstaters each.

Should establish afl and aflw in tas at the same time. And as or the talent pool that seems a bit short sited, they won’t be drafting tas women only come on

Should establish afl and aflw in tas at the same time. And as or the talent pool that seems a bit short sited
Quite the opposite, a deep local talent pool is the solution to longterm sustainability because it means you don't have to worry about a mass exodus due to the go-home factor.

they won’t be drafting tas women only come on
Even though that's how it works in every other state? There isn't even a proper national draft in AFLW yet, mate.

Quite the opposite, a deep local talent pool is the solution to longterm sustainability because it means you don't have to worry about a mass exodus due to the go-home factor.

Even though that's how it works in every other state? There isn't even a proper national draft in AFLW yet, mate.

Really? Thought I saw some international sportswomen looking to join aflw, it’s not that restricted then? Plus with expansion and general growth of the league, the draft numbers will be coming up much quicker now the league even exists in the first place (with whatever they’re doing to grow lower leagues ect too)

This is what will happen.
Tasmania Devils to come in somewhere between 2023 - 2025. Based in Hobart awesome place to live). Games split 50/50 North/South. 19 teams works fine short term as that gives the players their two byes. They will sell out most weeks and average crowds will sit well above GWS/GC. They will also bring more fans to away games, especially in Melbourne. Membership will easily top 40K year 1.
GWS to shift a game from Canberra back to Showgrounds from 2022, then rebrand Western Sydney, with Hawthorn taking up two matches in Canberra. North to play two games in Albury from 2023.
The AFL will push for a Canberra region team playing a couple of games in Albury (maybe even one in Wagga if they can provide a decent stadium). Canberra RAMS to enter in 2029, with GWS playing one game in each of Newcastle and Wollongong over Easter Show period (these are the nations to biggest markets without any AFL).
Now AFL own Marvel they will be happy for Hawks and North to bring games back to Melbourne.
They gives us 10 VIc clubs. 10 non-Vic. Al major markets covered.

Really? Thought I saw some international sportswomen looking to join aflw, it’s not that restricted then? Plus with expansion and general growth of the league, the draft numbers will be coming up much quicker now the league even exists in the first place (with whatever they’re doing to grow lower leagues ect too)
You saw right, in fact there's currently more Irishwomen than Tasmanians on an AFLW list. And even so, in that scenario it's still each club bringing in one or two athletes from abroad, as opposed to a single Tassie team having to relocate dozens of players to just be competitive.

Draft numbers, both male and female, will be increasing in the coming years if all goes to plan. So a men's team still seems like the viable starting point to me, especially since the league already seem to consider it a prerequisite for granting women's licenses (which btw big established AFL clubs like Essendon and Hawthorn are crying for to no avail, can't see them getting beaten to the punch by a currently non-existent entity).

How do we know that all Tasmanian AFL fans will just ditch their current teams and join Tassie?

Didn't happen in Sydney or QLD.

Both states are just a loyal about their regions as Tasmanians.

I'm all for a Tassie team but I don't think everyone is just going to drop the team they have followed and join.

Will take time.

How do we know that all Tasmanian AFL fans will just ditch their current teams and join Tassie?

Didn't happen in Sydney or QLD.

Both states are just a loyal about their regions as Tasmanians.

I'm all for a Tassie team but I don't think everyone is just going to drop the team they have followed and join.

Will take time.

Also who did you support before GWS? It's the same thing with them.

Tasmania Devils to come in somewhere between 2023 - 2025. Based in Hobart awesome place to live). Games split 50/50 North/South. 19 teams works fine short term as that gives the players their two byes. They will sell out most weeks and average crowds will sit well above GWS/GC. They will also bring more fans to away games, especially in Melbourne. Membership will easily top 40K year 1.
GWS to shift a game from Canberra back to Showgrounds from 2022, then rebrand Western Sydney, with Hawthorn taking up two matches in Canberra. North to play two games in Albury from 2023.
The AFL will push for a Canberra region team playing a couple of games in Albury (maybe even one in Wagga if they can provide a decent stadium). Canberra RAMS to enter in 2029, with GWS playing one game in each of Newcastle and Wollongong over Easter Show period (these are the nations to biggest markets without any AFL).
Now AFL own Marvel they will be happy for Hawks and North to bring games back to Melbourne.

So you're telling me I get my wish of Hawthorn leaving Tassie, games for my points in my city, a well deserved team in Tasmania and an even 20 teams spread throughout practically the whole country?
Can you please run for the top job! I'm behind you 100%!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's "happening" in the sense that people have been appointed to think about how to convince the AFL to start considering a team in the distant future. Ultimately the local talent is key. Once it's at a level which the team doesn't have to rely heavily on players from interstate, then there's a case too strong to ignore.

Local talent is pretty much irrelevant. We have a national draft.

How many locals play for the Suns or the Giants?

Why wouldnt Hawthorn play in Sydney? But if there’s just 19 rounds, less home games to share around

people don't like odd teams.

I see it is an opportunity to have more flexible fixtures ie more Thursday games and get rid of 6 day breaks.

The bye team could play their next game on the Thursday against another team who played on Thursday before.

Each team will have 7-9 day breaks between games.

Local talent is pretty much irrelevant. We have a national draft.

How many locals play for the Suns or the Giants?
A national draft which is continually compromised by players requesting trades home early in their career. Local talent is important for withstanding that. Clearly I'm not the only one who thinks so, hence the recent Mariners revival.

Giants have 13 from NSW, Suns have 11 from QLD. Less than ideal, but we already know a) the AFL considers those high risk/high reward markets, and b) they won't succeed longterm if development pathways stall in those states.

A national draft which is continually compromised by players requesting trades home early in their career. Local talent is important for withstanding that. Clearly I'm not the only one who thinks so, hence the recent Mariners revival.

Giants have 13 from NSW, Suns have 11 from QLD. Less than ideal, but we already know a) the AFL considers those high risk/high reward markets, and b) they won't succeed longterm if development pathways stall in those states.
AFL should copy the NBA where teams owns the rights to a player for 4 years.

There needs to be another merger for this to eventuate. It is impossible to have 19 teams and maintain the quality of the player pool. Don't know who's going to have to merge but it will have to be a Vic club. If no teams want to put a merger together then just throw the cash at the first team who puts their hand up to move to Tassie. Problem solved... sorta...

Two problems with this model:

A/ The locals won't go for a merged team from another state, that seems evident.

B/ You'd lose the fans of the merged teams, If I am correct the lowest member base for Vic club is appox 40k. You could arguably thrice that for paying non member supporters. So we're talking in the vicinity of roughly 240k people - pretty sure HQ won't be in favour of that.

The only possible scenario if it is must to not create another team would be to merge teams from an RL state and it's evident that HQ won't go for that either.

Dont know why they would. Who would follow them? Not many are just going to give up being a Freo or Eagles supporter. There isn't some unrepresented segment of society like there was before WC, so it won't likely make more money, it will just dig into already existing profits.

This is purely hypothetical but I think a 3rd team would garner interest IF it was a big wafl team............ However that may entice current freo and wc supporters to jump ship.

For example imagine if South Freo or an East Perth were granted an AFL licence.

Two problems with this model:

A/ The locals won't go for a merged team from another state, that seems evident.

B/ You'd lose the fans of the merged teams, If I am correct the lowest member base for Vic club is appox 40k. You could arguably thrice that for paying non member supporters. So we're talking in the vicinity of roughly 240k people - pretty sure HQ won't be in favour of that.

The only possible scenario if it is must to not create another team would be to merge teams from an RL state and it's evident that HQ won't go for that either.
Not sure if I mentioned it in there but I probably should have been clearer. My idea would be to consolidate two teams in Victoria together, which would make way for a brand new Tassie team. Hypothetically, if North Melbourne and Carlton merged yeah you would get people leaving that merged club, but with 40k + 60k members respectively, you'd expect at least 70k to stick around which would make it one of the big clubs.

you'd expect at least 70k to stick around which would make it one of the big clubs.

Why don't we ask North and Carlton supporters that aren't Tasmanian.............would you guys stick phat if your teams merged?

Also, we know that the bloose have a lot of supporters in hibernation so we're talking a possible approx 300k effected if that was to pass, just say 70k do hang around however unlikely HQ won't forgo the other 230k lost from the seats and TV sets.

Whichever you boil it down and dissect it HQ will not merge Vic teams, there's too much revenue at stake to take that risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back