Coach Teague in or out?

Teague in or out?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he goes, just hasn't evolved as a coach since he has been in the top job and with the message becoming stale and not working the efforts have dropped off. He has the rest of the season to turn it around and reinvigorate the players, I think his career depends now on the availability and performance of charlie curnow.

Teague has done nothing to suggest he’s a good coach, and those clinging to and pointing to Thompson, Hardwick and perhaps Goodwin type changes in fortune don’t seem to recognise that those coaches got their teams into finals.

All Teague has done for the past two seasons is deliver us one win against a top 8 side in Geelong early last year.
Thank you !! That’s exactly right

hardwick tigers already playing finals
Bomber el chapo already played finals
Goodwin the gambler already played finals

Teague train engine blown at ikon park not to be revived!!

The football manager appointment was a bad decision in the 1st place.
We needed someone that was his own man, could make the tough calls and drive a successful culture.
The CEO, who I feel had a big say in the ‘type of person he wanted’ and even board should be held accountable for such a disaster of an appointment.

While I don't think I can be as definitive as you and have to acknowledge there have been some significant changes under Lloyd (Power & development boost, VFL team, high-performance/Russell), I suspect you might be right.

If it were to be Ross, he'd want a full football dept cleanout, he'd bring in his own assistants he values. I think most of them at that level are the same. Their success hinges on the help they get in the box, therefore it's only natural they have a big say as to who stays and who comes.
Cain liddle is overseeing this review in conjunction with an incoming president? You can probably Rule Lyon out. Lyon coming would probably mean Liddle goes, and SOS returns in a football capacity. Similar to his time and role at the saints.
The thought of having a "full" football dept review, but declaring the senior coach is safe is moronic protectionism and is why we're in this mess in the first instance. Who's going to select the incoming assistants? A PWC investment banker guy? or a current football manager that put in place the last lot?

Attracting Quality experienced assistants hinge on the calibre of coach and the likely success of same, otherwise, you can have a rebuild environment, whereby the coach is inexperienced and same with the assistants overseen by one experienced football manager. Our list is probably 3 years ahead of Collingwood's. More attractive to Lyon, Clarkson, whereby collingwood's, would be more attractive to someone like mitchell.
Conversely, a less experienced list will demand and justify a longer contract and more security for an experienced coach

I picked up lyon said , Buckley did everything right and still got chewed up and spat out. He said this in a negative way. Most on boards and Twitter don't want lyon at Collingwood, Carlton on the other hand, seem a bit more accepting and less dismissive. This may play a part, all things being equal.

edit: interesting insight into the development of Michael walters

Last edited:
It’s bizarre that Teague would be so loyal to them, it’s not like their premiership legends or anything, or even been involved in a remotely successful period at the club.

Club hasn’t won more than 7 games in a season since 2013, no one should be given an easy ride or free pass.

Player power - it's the Carlton way

Also been plenty of coaches who have made mistakes and haven't turned things around, or only made marginal gains.

If there's a better coach out there with runs on the board, we should do whatever we can to secure them.

That would include publicly and privately supporting the incumbent - coaches like players see the way clubs treat their people

We need a lot more than luck.We bleed defensively, can't play out 4 quarters and there are far too many passengers. Teague left Stocker on Ryan all game last week suggesting to me he is not connected with what changes need to be made during a game.
We might as well lock the joint up and throw away the keys. Stupid thread, give the bloke some time... we’d be a laughing stock if they sacked a coach who is yet to complete at full 22 game season.

Players have to take some accountability and it’s about time we stuck with and supported a coach. Plenty were calling for Goodwin’s head last year and look at Melbourne now.

We just need some luck with having our best 22 on the park and we haven’t been close for the last 3 years.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Teague has done nothing to suggest he’s a good coach, and those clinging to and pointing to Thompson, Hardwick and perhaps Goodwin type changes in fortune don’t seem to recognise that those coaches got their teams into finals.
The other characteristic of really successful coaches like Thompson, Hardwick, Clarkson, Matthews, is that they played their football with other clubs and didn’t come with any emotional ties to clubs they coached.

They came to do a job and were pretty ruthless and successful in the process. Can Teague develop and learn to be as ruthless like the above coaches, who knows?

If isn’t loyal then how come luke Bebe ridge has no fear to drop jj and Mitch Walis from the dogs

how many times has Murphy and Docherty been dropped or any other senior member ??

Murph once, Doch zero. Admittedly Murph has deserved to be dropped much more often and Doch at least notice for some of his piss poor unaccountable efforts.

But yes tail wags the dog, the ones you mention at dogs are good players but they have much better players again.

So problems are both lack of good players and lack of accountability for senior players.

Player power - it's the Carlton way
Hence why this club has been such a embarrassment for so long, no accountability on anyone !! From the president to the board down to the whole playing group
All thinking we are Carlton, success is automatic !!
What a fallacy

Our lack of success is deep rooted in a confluence of complex situations over the last couple decades perhaps a little further back.
The evolution of AFL and supporter exceptions , society too have played their part in current state of affaires. Not only the obvious administrative ineptitude.
However, we’ll emerge stronger, focused going forward, a New President, equipped with highest Membership total yet, debit free, AFL & VFL teams & revamped Princess Park.
The revision will sober us up, bolster &rectify a few departments, I confident it’s upwards & onwards for our Baggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hence why this club has been such a embarrassment for so long, no accountability on anyone !! From the president to the board down to the whole playing group
All thinking we are Carlton, success is automatic !!
What a fallacy
!! !!

They won't sack him when the review has just started. Only way he goes before review is finalised is if he decides to quit.

Teague has some time to show he can be more flexible and that the players are on board ... but I'd be changing things big time from this week if I were him and hoping it has immediate impact. I'm prepared to wait before calling him as out.

SkyhorseTamer mentioned that Teague seems to have doubled down in a number of areas, which is absolutely spot on.

Stated my concerns at the end of 2019, as to the lack of defensive structures, despite the initial turnaround.

What people have actually missed in all this, is the gameplan was actually changed, here's how.

Teague initially put senior players back in pivotal roles and released the shackles.

First preseason, first double down. To combat the run ons and or poor defensive structures, Teague changed the gameplan, increasing the speed, length and with.

Second preseason, 2nd double down, increase the same areas again.

An example of fix strategies, rather than prevent.

Needs to get back to that 2019 strategy, slow it down a touch and put defensive strategies in place that will withstand all the different attacking styles in the competition

IMO at the moment he's out. Only chance is that he gets this team defending appropriately.

Don’t think Teaugy has got it in him, really easy going and menial too relaxed. If we want more grunt & grit in the players & smarter footy game plan, players that tackle with intent etc etc , David just ain’t the man.
We’ve got to look elsewhere, say Ross Lyon or any of the great midfielders,Voss, Buckley or Mitchell, usually know a think or two about the game.
It’s never an easy decision to move head coach on , but I love my Baggers and enough is enough.

They won't sack him when the review has just started. Only way he goes before review is finalised is if he decides to quit.

Teague has some time to show he can be more flexible and that the players are on board ... but I'd be changing things big time from this week if I were him and hoping it has immediate impact. I'm prepared to wait before calling him as out.
Agreed I can’t see them sacking him while the review is going on, it makes the review pointless if the outcome is already known.

SkyhorseTamer mentioned that Teague seems to have doubled down in a number of areas, which is absolutely spot on.

Stated my concerns at the end of 2019, as to the lack of defensive structures, despite the initial turnaround.

What people have actually missed in all this, is the gameplan was actually changed, here's how.

Teague initially put senior players back in pivotal roles and released the shackles.

First preseason, first double down. To combat the run ons and or poor defensive structures, Teague changed the gameplan, increasing the speed, length and with.

Second preseason, 2nd double down, increase the same areas again.

An example of fix strategies, rather than prevent.

Needs to get back to that 2019 strategy, slow it down a touch and put defensive strategies in place that will withstand all the different attacking styles in the competition
What are your thoughts about the defensive running in the midfield?
Is it the game plan - Teague telling our players to keep the zone, corral, don't attack the main directly, don't keep tight defensive on the wing/midfield, let them have their short kicks and marks.
Is it fitness - our players are too tired to physically keep up with their opponents
Is it mindset?

Just on eyeball value, our players were under a heap of pressure every time we tried to link up. We'd handball it, and the receiver already had an opposition player hot on their tail, if not already being half way to wrapped up in a tackle already.

This isn't just the GWS game, but as many others have said before the same thing week in, week out.

While I don't think I can be as definitive as you and have to acknowledge there have been some significant changes under Lloyd (Power & development boost, VFL team, high-performance/Russell), I suspect you might be right.
How, in any way, could the appointment if AR be thought of as a success?

We have the weakest, slowest, least fit team in the comp with a probably decent lead in the games missed through injury ladder.

I was incredibly excited when we got him but the exact opposite now.

What are your thoughts about the defensive running in the midfield?
Is it the game plan - Teague telling our players to keep the zone, corral, don't attack the main directly, don't keep tight defensive on the wing/midfield, let them have their short kicks and marks.
Is it fitness - our players are too tired to physically keep up with their opponents
Is it mindset?

Just on eyeball value, our players were under a heap of pressure every time we tried to link up. We'd handball it, and the receiver already had an opposition player hot on their tail, if not already being half way to wrapped up in a tackle already.

This isn't just the GWS game, but as many others have said before the same thing week in, week out.
The immediate pressure comes from the huge spread. Its easy to know which link is the next in the chain and shut them down. If we don't spread as much laterally we have more options to go to and hence better disposal, slightly more time as defenders can't just overcommit. Which they do against us. Every team cheats defensively because they know they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back