Team for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Some interesting teams for Best 22 and Round 1.

My Round 1 Team

B: Begley Bassett Rutten
HB: Stiffy McGregor Edwards
C: Burton Riccuitio Mattner
HF: Thompson Perrie Hentschel
F: Bode M.Stevens Welsh
1R: Hudson McLeod Reilly

IC: Clarke Shirley Hart Bock

E: Ladhams, S. Stevens, Biglands

If Hart and Thompson are fit, you must play them.

Streaker said:
I thought it was a pretty poor effort on Goodwins behalf saying that the Crows players would target Stenglein. Not very adult of him.
Oh come on. Thay have been the best of mates for a while now and it was more tounge in cheek than anything. I am sure they would have been on the phone this week giving each other a bit of stick.

snakebite01 said:
Well, Stiffy is for one.
:rolleyes:

I sure as hell won't boo him unless he does something that deserves booing. By the same token I will not cheer for him either as he is not a crow any more. I can never boo a player that has given a lot back to the AFC. He might not be the best player going around but he was always the one that gave 100% when he took the field. Stenglein and Johnson are 2 player I have a lot of respect for and I could never boo them unless they did something that deserved booing and personally I don't see it happening as both are fair players.

Stiffy_18 said:
I sure as hell won't boo him unless he does something that deserves booing. By the same token I will not cheer for him either as he is not a crow any more. I can never boo a player that has given a lot back to the AFC. He might not be the best player going around but he was always the one that gave 100% when he took the field. Stenglein and Johnson are 2 player I have a lot of respect for and I could never boo them unless they did something that deserved booing and personally I don't see it happening as both are fair players.
I agree, but I do see it happening to some extent. And I don't think that will be a big deal - different people have legitimately different views (not of Stinger and his departure, just on whether or not they should go for the "don't make them welcome" thing or whatever).

Unfortunately, certain journalists will probably make mountains out of molehills.

Stiffy_18 said:

In all seriousness, I agree with this wholeheartedly.

He's second only to Sugar as far as our interstate draftees go. He performed week-in week-out for the club and then requested a move home at the end of a given contract and we got a fair deal for him. Win/win.

Unless he thugs Macca at the first bounce or does something of that ilk, I'll pay him the respect due any accomplished footballer belonging to the opposition.

Stiffy_18 said:

Definitely a personal issue, which will vary from person to person. Some will want to boo their guts out and others will just watch the game and enjoy it without any special emphasis one way or the other on Stinga.

I'm with you and DT on this one, as I was with Johnson. We got great value from these 2 guys when they played for us, and because they played with a straight bat when they left we got very good value for them in exchange. (what we did with pick 2 for Johnno is a different story altogether :rolleyes: )

I didn't boo Johnson and I won't boo Stenglein either. What's the point?

dyertribe said:
In all seriousness, I agree with this wholeheartedly.

He's second only to Sugar as far as our interstate draftees go. He performed week-in week-out for the club and then requested a move home at the end of a given contract and we got a fair deal for him. Win/win.

Unless he thugs Macca at the first bounce or does something of that ilk, I'll pay him the respect due any accomplished footballer belonging to the opposition.
Well said and IMO reflects the views of most respected supporters.

macca23 said:
Definitely a personal issue, which will vary from person to person. Some will want to boo their guts out and others will just watch the game and enjoy it without any special emphasis one way or the other on Stinga.

I'm with you and DT on this one, as I was with Johnson. We got great value from these 2 guys when they played for us, and because they played with a straight bat when they left we got very good value for them in exchange. (what we did with pick 2 for Johnno is a different story altogether :rolleyes: )

I didn't boo Johnson and I won't boo Stenglein either. What's the point?

There are only six or seven people I boo on the ground and they dont play the game :rolleyes: , if you know what I mean.

noddy said:
Shirley has done the job in the past on Judd so why not give him first crack at him.

As my old daddy use to say "horses for courses" :)

4 1/2 sleeps to go. ;)

well Nod.....as with most things...there's the way I see it....and then there's the way it is !!!!........and most of the time they're different. I'm sure NC will play Shirley and Doughty instead of my Massie and The Count.........and good luck to him.

Probably why they didn't give me a second interview for the job..... :D

The North Adelaide team for Thursday nights opener against Norwood has been
announced and there is no Ben Hart. Judging from this is it safe to say he will play for the Crows after just 3 quarters of preperation. If so how much game time do you anticipate that he will get?. Also noticed Ladhams named in the centre for North, where he won the clubs best and fairest last year despite managing to play just over half the games.
Do you think Ladhams will play any games for the Crows this year or do I put money on him for the Magarey Medal this year?

doiler said:
announced and there is no Ben Hart. Judging from this is it safe to say he will play for the Crows after just 3 quarters of preperation. If so how much game time do you anticipate that he will get?. Also noticed Ladhams named in the centre for North, where he won the clubs best and fairest last year despite managing to play just over half the games.
Do you think Ladhams will play any games for the Crows this year or do I put money on him for the Magarey Medal this year?

He won't win the Magarey.

doiler said:

Has the Norwood team been announced yet? If so, is big Johnny Meesen debuting for the Redlegs or the Crows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doiler said:
announced and there is no Ben Hart. Judging from this is it safe to say he will play for the Crows after just 3 quarters of preperation. If so how much game time do you anticipate that he will get?.
Great news. Even though Benny is underdone, he is one of these players that doesn't need to come back throught the SANFL to regain touch.

Stiffy_18 said:
I posted this in the other thread but its more appropriate here. So here is goes again :

OK here is my side for round on based on the following:

* Goodwin won't play because of the suspension
* Hart, Thompson, Doughty, Biglands and Torney are not available through injury :(

_F: _ 17. Scott Welsh _ 19. Mark Stevens _ 9. Tyson Edwards
HF: _ 10. Matthew Bode _ 22. Ian Perrie _ 37. Trent Hentschel
_C: _ 39. Martin Mattner _ 32. Mark Ricciuto _ 24. Brett Burton :(
HB: _ 18. Graham Johncock _ 16. Ken McGregor _ 33. Brent Reilly
_B: _ 8. Nathan Bassett _ 25. Ben Rutten _ 28. James Begley
1R: _ 13. Ben Hudson _ 12. Robert Shirley _ 23. Andrew McLeod

INT: _ 4. Matthew Clarke _ 7. Nathan Van Berlo _ 14. Hayden Skipworth _ 44. Nathan Bock

Shirley will start on the ground and be given a job on Chris Judd. Reilly can start on HBF and given a run onball when someone like Roo or McLeod get moved from there for a bit fo a breather. We need Reilly's and Johncock's rebound off the HB in this game but if the likes of Goody, Hart and Doughty were available I would play Reilly more as a midfielder. I just think we need these 2 accross HB as they are one of the best rebounders in our squad.

Its interesting that even in round 1 our lack of depth is exposed with a handful of injuries and a suspension :(

Great lineup there, Crows are my 2nd team so I had to post something. Adelaide will do much better this year, if not finish 8th...

Stiffy_18 said:

That is soft stiffy very soft. They took a lot more away from the club than they ever gave. Both came to Adelaide and where taught how to play great football, they were given a chance at senior level. There are a lot of footballer's who aren't given this. Then at the peeks of there career they took of cause they wanted to be home with there families. Very poor effort. Look at it like local footy if you have ever been involved if a player leaves a local side to play for the oppoistion when he returns to play against his old side he will be booed and taunted from the moment he arrives until he gets in his car to go home. By the end of the day he starts wondering whether he made the right decision. We need to give Stenglien ******** and lots of it. We need to send a message to those young interstate players in our squad that it is not ok to tunr your back on us. We are a proud club and no one screws us over.

Mad Dog said:
Probably why they didn't give me a second interview for the job.....

When NC got the job, I just assumed you must not have applied. How dare they pass over you for NC? :p

I can see it now, MadDog (coach), Stiffy (mid feild - assistant), Arrowman (Forward line assistant), Dyertribe (Defense assistant), Noddy (Football Operations Manager), Waynes World (Development Mnagaer), Portentous (Runner) ;) , so on and so forth. Oh and Outback Jack (Recruitment Manager), hehehe, look out deadwood..., imagine the 05 draft, Adelaide's 35th pick and the 117th over all is Fred Bloggs from Pooraka, Div 3 reserves. hehehe :D

AdelaideFan said:
That is soft stiffy very soft. They took a lot more away from the club than they ever gave. Both came to Adelaide and where taught how to play great football, they were given a chance at senior level. There are a lot of footballer's who aren't given this. Then at the peeks of there career they took of cause they wanted to be home with there families. Very poor effort. Look at it like local footy if you have ever been involved if a player leaves a local side to play for the oppoistion when he returns to play against his old side he will be booed and taunted from the moment he arrives until he gets in his car to go home. By the end of the day he starts wondering whether he made the right decision. We need to give Stenglien ******** and lots of it. We need to send a message to those young interstate players in our squad that it is not ok to tunr your back on us. We are a proud club and no one screws us over.
So we should start booing VB now?This is a very narrow view. I assume you want every player on our list to be from SA?

People go home..would you like it when Pavlich comes home for him to be spat on and threatened everytime he went near the ball? Or Thompson when AFC go to Melbourne for him to be disrupted from sleep by upset fans? To have his game rubbished in every avenue?

Grow up what goes round comes round

PerthCrow said:
So we should start booing VB now?This is a very narrow view. I assume you want every player on our list to be from SA?

People go home..would you like it when Pavlich comes home for him to be spat on and threatened everytime he went near the ball? Or Thompson when AFC go to Melbourne for him to be disrupted from sleep by upset fans? To have his game rubbished in every avenue?

Grow up what goes round comes round

Booing VB???? Has he left already???? I am saying if we dont start getting tough on players who decide they want to leave our new top line players like VB will decide it is easy to leave us hanging and go home. I would expect if Pavlich left Freo to return and play for the crows he would be booed and taunted. The amount of cash they get to play Thompson or any other player should be able to get over it. We aren't nursing babies here. Are you going to sit on your hands and clap every ex champion that ups and goes home when it suites them?????

AdelaideFan said:
. Are you going to sit on your hands and clap every ex champion that ups and goes home when it suites them?????
No I will get my hands out and clap every player we have in our team NOW..before they decide noone cares about them..before some idiot yells out ''go back to Victoria you useless waste of a draft pick'' .

The draft and trade process are not the best in the world and sometimes players do their ''time'' and want to go home. Would you rather someone who made an effort to get maximum value , and that includes giving maximum value in their final year.Or would you rather have a player play like he is going home, so why should he care?

Johnson and Stenglein are the only 2 players I can think of who played for Adelaide right to the end knowing they were more than likely leaving.

AdelaideFan said:

Yeah right and the fans booing old players is going to make the current players want to stay

The Fans will just look like morons and the players will ahve even less respect for them or their views.

We need to focus on our current team and forget about the past.

My First XXII for Round 1.

FF: M.Stevens - Welsh - Bode
HF: Shirley - Perrie - Hentschel
C: Reilly - Roo - Burton
HB: Johncock - McGregor - Begley
FB: Bassett - Rutten - Hart

R: Hudson - McLeod - Edwards

Int: Biglands - Thompson - Doughty - Mattner

(Em: Skipworth - Van Berlo - Clarke)

- Shirley to obviously come off the square to say hello to Mr Judd after the first bounce
- Forward line looks a little tall, but with Bodey crumbing and Hentschel and Welsh being in-between-ish, it shouldn't be a problem (also a reason why I decided against going with three ruckman, along with Clarke's restricted PS)

I was pretty doubtful about our chances for this game a couple of weeks ago when injuries seemed to be stacking up, but with only Torney and Goodwin missing, I've decided to tip us.

I gotta say there have been some pretty interesting things posted under this thread.

I'm afraid I wasn't fully aware of the etiquette required when addressing former players who are presumptuous enough to return representing opposition clubs.

I was planning to yell out something like "Stenglein you @$#%*&^ 2nd rate bag of sandgroper %^#@ @&%$, I hope your *&%^$#@ @^*^ of boyfriend @$#%$ a big @#%$ & chokes on it" on Sunday, but now I think I will just shower him with gentle applause.

Honestly, I don't care what anyone says as long as they make a bit of noise & can have a bit of a laugh.

drakeyv2 said:
I gotta say there have been some pretty interesting things posted under this thread.

I'm afraid I wasn't fully aware of the etiquette required when addressing former players who are presumptuous enough to return representing opposition clubs.

I was planning to yell out something like "Stenglein you @$#%*&^ 2nd rate bag of sandgroper %^#@ @&%$, I hope your *&%^$#@ @^*^ of boyfriend @$#%$ a big @#%$ & chokes on it" on Sunday, but now I think I will just shower him with gentle applause.

Honestly, I don't care what anyone says as long as they make a bit of noise & can have a bit of a laugh.

Great post :D When I was still in Adelaide, I liked to bag ex players just to get a reaction from the meeley mouth supporters near me. But it's all in jest.

AdelaideFan said:
Please.

If you won't to boo him go ahead but personally I see it as very shallow in this situation.

I sure as hell didn't hear any of those "booers" complaining when Darren Jarman left Hawks to come and play for us or Matthew Robran sitting out a year so he could come and play for us. A one sided way at looking at it.

I have utmost respect for Stenglein and Johnson because they represented this club with distinction and honor that a lot of others haven't.

If you think that Stinger (or any other player) would think he made the wrong decision just because someone boos him, they you really are with the pixies.

If you want to boo him then go ahead but don't think that your boos will make any other interstater on our list think twice about going home down the track.

For as long as there is AFL and draft, players will come and go and players will want to go home. Thats part of life and something that people should accept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back