Prediction Team of century 1925 to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We can name any team we want now and then make a few quick changes on game day.
Hudson picked as a back pocket should confuse the oppo enough.

Would still kick ten goals. Bear in mind that back pockets now spend a lot of time just outside the forward fifty.

Sam Mitchell for Jim Bohan in the center.

Crawford for Buckenara.

Luke Hodge for Roy Simmonds.

Shift Langford to back pocket and give Austen's spot on the bench to Rioli.

Last edited:
ROFL, you're either taking the piss or didn't watch the 80's much.
Gunners is a class act and would have fitted perfectly along side Piggy and The Kid. Loveridge, Morrissey, Abbott, Judge, Curren, Russo, Kennedy and I'm sure there were others in the mid to late 80's who I've forgotten but Gunners is a walk up forward 6. It's just the bar is raised so much higher with the TotC and he won't make it.

ROFL, you're either taking the piss or didn't watch the 80's much.
Gunners is a class act and would have fitted perfectly along side Piggy and The Kid. Loveridge, Morrissey, Abbott, Judge, Curren, Russo, Kennedy and I'm sure there were others in the mid to late 80's who I've forgotten but Gunners is a walk up forward 6. It's just the bar is raised so much higher with the TotC and he won't make it.
Yes, and aside form Piggy & The Kid, most of those others played plenty of reserves footy. These players played in our reserves GF team in 1985.
Malaxos (AA), Greg Dear, Knights (HOF), Curran, Byrne, Eade, Morrissey, Abbott, Wittman, Buckenara, Robertson (Norm Smith). Ray Jenke and Andy Collins were the emergencies.
Gunston have been awesome but on this years form would have spent the season in the ressies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, and aside form Piggy & The Kid, most of those others played plenty of reserves footy. These players played in our reserves GF team in 1985.
Malaxos (AA), Greg Dear, Knights (HOF), Curran, Byrne, Eade, Morrissey, Abbott, Wittman, Buckenara, Robertson (Norm Smith). Ray Jenke and Andy Collins were the emergencies.
Gunston have been awesome but on this years form would have spent the season in the ressies.
I agree he hasn't been great this year or even '17 but there is a fair bit of Mayo in that post.
I was around to see the 80's. Malaxos couldn't make it at the hawks, Dear was just starting out in mid 80's, Knights last year in 85, Curran just starting out, the whole list outside of Bucky are foot soldiers where I think Gunners goes beyond that. In a period (12-18) where goals are harder to come by as evidenced by low coleman medal totals, he's put the goals on the board. I'd have him over that whole list except Bucky, Gunners though, still has time to enhance his reputation if Clarko gives him the chance.

I agree he hasn't been great this year or even '17 but there is a fair bit of Mayo in that post.
I was around to see the 80's. Malaxos couldn't make it at the hawks, Dear was just starting out in mid 80's, Knights last year in 85, Curran just starting out, the whole list outside of Bucky are foot soldiers where I think Gunners goes beyond that. In a period (12-18) where goals are harder to come by as evidenced by low coleman medal totals, he's put the goals on the board. I'd have him over that whole list except Bucky, Gunners though, still has time to enhance his reputation if Clarko gives him the chance.
Just pointing out, that the Gunston of 2019 would have spent time in the reserve, such was the strength and depth of our 1980s teams. That was the point of discussion.

I know tuck was a good player, but if he hadn’t played 400+ games, would he really be in this conversation?

I think absolutely he would be. Aside from the whole 400+ games, most finals, most premierships, 4 as captain, etc....

Michael Tuck was very, very unlucky with individual awards. He came runner up in the Best and Fairest 7! times (and was 3rd a further 2 times) in the greatest era by any club ever!

Of his 7 runners up medals:

• 3 times was to Leigh Matthews - the greatest player of all time - at his absolute peak
  • 1 time was to Kelvin Moore (in 1979) - one of the 5 greatest full backs ever in his best season. Moore was AA (in the carnival era) this season too. As a reminder, Moore was deservedly in our TOTC at FB, ahead of Langford and unlucky not to be the AFL TOTC FB.
  • 1 time was to Terry Wallace (in 1983) - a premiership year. The same year Terry Wallace was rover in the VFL team of the year and 6th in the Brownlow.
  • 1 time was to John Platten (in 1987). This was Rat's (another TOTC member) best year as well. Platten won the Brownlow in '87.
  • The last time was to Andy Collins in 1990 when Tuck was 37.
On top of all that, Tuck was in the VFL team of the year twice and All Australian another 2 separate occasions. Before you think "that's not many", this is a different era where selections were across a number of leagues and were based on a carnival that was only held twice in the 70's, etc. By comparison, Leigh Matthews only has 1 AA.

Tuck was also very versatile. When he arrived at Hawthorn he played as a Full Forward but because of Huddo, played in the ressies and kicked 60+ goals. He then went on to become one of the greatest ruck rovers in history. Once he got well in to his 30's, he became a very effective half back flanker.

I think absolutely he would be. Aside from the whole 400+ games, most finals, most premierships, 4 as captain, etc....

Michael Tuck was very, very unlucky with individual awards. He came runner up in the Best and Fairest 7! times (and was 3rd a further 2 times) in the greatest era by any club ever!

Of his 7 runners up medals:

• 3 times was to Leigh Matthews - the greatest player of all time - at his absolute peak
  • 1 time was to Kelvin Moore (in 1979) - one of the 5 greatest full backs ever in his best season. Moore was AA (in the carnival era) this season too. As a reminder, Moore was deservedly in our TOTC at FB, ahead of Langford and unlucky not to be the AFL TOTC FB.
  • 1 time was to Terry Wallace (in 1983) - a premiership year. The same year Terry Wallace was rover in the VFL team of the year and 6th in the Brownlow.
  • 1 time was to John Platten (in 1987). This was Rat's (another TOTC member) best year as well. Platten won the Brownlow in '87.
  • The last time was to Andy Collins in 1990 when Tuck was 37.
On top of all that, Tuck was in the VFL team of the year twice and All Australian another 2 separate occasions. Before you think "that's not many", this is a different era where selections were across a number of leagues and were based on a carnival that was only held twice in the 70's, etc. By comparison, Leigh Matthews only has 1 AA.

Tuck was also very versatile. When he arrived at Hawthorn he played as a Full Forward but because of Huddo, played in the ressies and kicked 60+ goals. He then went on to become one of the greatest ruck rovers in history. Once he got well in to his 30's, he became a very effective half back flanker.
Here, Here mate ppl before sprouting an opinion like a journo should read up on player history its easy and great way to prove you are a Hawthorn supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back