Toast Tex 600 goals around the corner

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Taylor Walker for having such a great individual season; capping it off last night with a sensational 9.4; making Eagles legend Jeremy McGovern look second-rate in the process; and being selected in the All Australian team for the the first time in his career. (I'm jumping the gun there by a few days, but he's definitely in and it's long overdue!)

I've always read a lot of negative crap about him here on Big Footy. Probably from butt/hurt Port fans mostly, or from the "my sh*t doesn't stink" types who think he should've been buried in a hole in a the ground cos he used a racial slur. I'm not excusing that. He's a rough diamond... a bogan country boy from Broken Hill who has made a few regrettable blues along the way.

Speaking as an opposition fan with no real hate or love for the Crows, Tex has always been one of my favourite AFL players to watch. I loved his style from the day I saw this big, loping kid with a crude mullet boot 5 goals vs the Hawks back in his debut season in 2009.

One of the great entertainers and a champion of the game. Underrated, I think., A little bit undersold here in Melbourne.. A great mark... a beautiful kick... One of the best kicks ever... Like Carey or Buddy the way he'd unload drop punt bombs through the middle from 65m. People always went on about Stevie J's ability to kick around corners. How good is big Tex at curling goals around the corner from the boundary line? Like shelling peas!

But not just mark & kick... He's a superb forward craftsman who plays with great poise and positioning. With great awareness of what's around him and the state of the game. Standing up in the big moments and getting his team across the line... Moments of team-oriented genius, like in the 2015 finals vs the Bulldogs at the MCG; when he got the ball on the MCC members' half forward flank, with the goals beckoning... But instead of having a ping like 99% of players would've done in that situation, he blind-sided everyone with a 50m centred pass to a teammate standing all on their own. (Eddie or Charlie, I think it was.)

Or just little things.... like one of his goals last night in the 4th quarter. I think it was his 7th or 8th... the way he turned, got front & square, roved the ball cleanly off hands and in the blink of an eye, he'd dribbled it through for a goal. Luke Breust or Cyril Rioli would've been proud of kicking that one. You can't teach that to a key forward. That's natural ability.

It's been a while since I was yelling with excitement at my TV screen, punching the air and cheering on an opposition key forward like it was a Hawthorn player. It was like a flashback to the 1990's when I'd watch in awe as Plugger or Carey took over a game and booted a big bag of goals.

Well played Tex, you magnificent bastard.
Well said! Tex is a genuine magnificent bastard! He sure ain’t perfect as a person, but if you’re a footy purist and you genuinely love your footy, then you should love what Tex brings to the game (on-field).

Not many I can think of that is essentially a full-on ambidextrous player that can kick 65m bombs on either feet and 25m handpasses on either hands. And with precision.

Well said! Tex is a genuine magnificent bastard! He sure ain’t perfect as a person, but if you’re a footy purist and you genuinely love your footy, then you should love what Tex brings to the game (on-field).

Not many I can think of that is essentially a full-on ambidextrous player that can kick 65m bombs on either feet and 25m handpasses on either hands. And with precision.
Yeah, spot on... That's the bit I forgot to mention... A perfectly dual-sided footballer... Equally good spinning to his right or left.
Beautiful kicking off either foot and rocketing his handpasses off the left and right.

As a purist, I loved watching Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge and Scotty Pendlebury. None of them would win any footraces. Special players who always found time and space to work their magic. Tex Walker is, in some ways, the key forward version of that. Not a super athletic beast like Buddy, Richo, Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt, etc... Kinda slow... Doesn't get any separation, yet he still finds a way to out think and outmaneuver his opponent and make good decisions.

I remember talking to a couple sanfl players at different times years ago who played on tex and funny enough they had the same story.

Tex as an 18 year old in the sanfl would turn around and tell them remember the name taylor walker because in a few years time everyone will know my name.

This was just the confidence he had in his ability from day 1.

He was always going to be a star at afl level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back