Toast Tex 600 goals around the corner

Remove this Banner Ad

2 Goals on the weekend takes Tex to 6th in terms of most goals in a H/A season. Currently only 3 behind Eddie from 2016. With 3 games left, he has the potential to become the only player outside Tony to kick 70 goals in a H/A season for us.

TEX.png

Including finals, he's currently ranked 7th for most goals. If we could make finals and he finishes the H/A season well, he could at least finish 3rd overall for goals in a season for us.

TEX 2.png

A shame another close loss has overshadowed a historical moment in our history. Congrats to Tex for passing the 600 mark! (Currently on 601 goals)

With the way the game’s heading, I don’t think any Crows player will ever beat Tex’s club record.

A shame another close loss has overshadowed a historical moment in our history. Congrats to Tex for passing the 600 mark! (Currently on 601 goals)

With the way the game’s heading, I don’t think any Crows player will ever beat Tex’s club record.
Has also now recorded the most goals he's kicked in a season, going past his 2012 watermark.

IF we beat Sydney and it looks like 12 wins gets us in… does he get a rest for Perth?

Looked a bit off last night. Those snaps that he’s been making look effortless all year didn’t connect.
Those snaps were much more pressured than usual. It's the closer set shots that have surprised lately.

IF we beat Sydney and it looks like 12 wins gets us in… does he get a rest for Perth?

Looked a bit off last night. Those snaps that he’s been making look effortless all year didn’t connect.
There’s a week off before finals

Absolutely not. Week off after the last game. Can't risk resting anyone and losing, although unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where to put this, so this is a decent spot. I was prompted to take a look at the numbers after seeing a story with Jack Reiwoldt's games and goals in it.

With Buddy's retirement, Tex actually has across his career the second highest goals per games average of the large career goal kickers still going around in todays AFL. He only trails Jeremy Cameron.

He's actually ahead of Jack, Hawkins and the like.

Crazy to think about that when you think of the number of Colemans between them.

Walker, had he not missed out on 20-30 games early in his career through Neil Craig dumbassery, not done the knee, and not spent years clearing out the 50 for Jenkins would have been an absolute all time goal kicker, 800 goal career type guy.

Seriously underrated on the numbers.

Walker, had he not missed out on 20-30 games early in his career through Neil Craig dumbassery, not done the knee, and not spent years clearing out the 50 for Jenkins would have been an absolute all time goal kicker, 800 goal career type guy.

Also noteworthy never breathed one word of complaint about this. Absolutely zero ego on him for a KPF.

The knee is the real tragedy for me. From the second half of 2012 and his start to 2013 he looked like he was about to tear the competition apart.

I think if Tex is fit, he plays. We still need to be more assured of a win and hopefully a percentage boost. Without Tex in Herculean form this year, we’d be a dead set average team.

75 goals is a pretty impressive benchmark in recent years, if he can get there over the last two weeks - needs 10 more in two games including West Coast. The only player to get there in the last 12 seasons is Josh Kennedy, who did it twice in 2015 and 2016. Decent chance we will get two players at that mark this year, which I guess highlights the importance of how bad West Coast have been, since they'd both have to kick 15+ goals against them to get there.

Before 2011 there was only one season in the previous 35 years where there wasn't a player who kicked 75, which was 2005 when Gehrig kicked 74.

Tex has now kicked 612 career goals, placing him 34th all time, passing Michael Roach tonight

Every chance to crack the top 30 next year

Only Franklin, Hawkins, Riewoldt, Cameron and Kennedy above him from the recent generation

Congratulations to Taylor Walker for having such a great individual season; capping it off last night with a sensational 9.4; making Eagles legend Jeremy McGovern look second-rate in the process; and being selected in the All Australian team for the the first time in his career. (I'm jumping the gun there by a few days, but he's definitely in and it's long overdue!)

I've always read a lot of negative crap about him here on Big Footy. Probably from butt/hurt Port fans mostly, or from the "my sh*t doesn't stink" types who think he should've been buried in a hole in a the ground cos he used a racial slur. I'm not excusing that. He's a rough diamond... a bogan country boy from Broken Hill who has made a few regrettable blues along the way.

Speaking as an opposition fan with no real hate or love for the Crows, Tex has always been one of my favourite AFL players to watch. I loved his style from the day I saw this big, loping kid with a crude mullet boot 5 goals vs the Hawks back in his debut season in 2009.

One of the great entertainers and a champion of the game. Underrated, I think., A little bit undersold here in Melbourne.. A great mark... a beautiful kick... One of the best kicks ever... Like Carey or Buddy the way he'd unload drop punt bombs through the middle from 65m. People always went on about Stevie J's ability to kick around corners. How good is big Tex at curling goals around the corner from the boundary line? Like shelling peas!

But not just mark & kick... He's a superb forward craftsman who plays with great poise and positioning. With great awareness of what's around him and the state of the game. Standing up in the big moments and getting his team across the line... Moments of team-oriented genius, like in the 2015 finals vs the Bulldogs at the MCG; when he got the ball on the MCC members' half forward flank, with the goals beckoning... But instead of having a ping like 99% of players would've done in that situation, he blind-sided everyone with a 50m centred pass to a teammate standing all on their own. (Eddie or Charlie, I think it was.)

Or just little things.... like one of his goals last night in the 4th quarter. I think it was his 7th or 8th... the way he turned, got front & square, roved the ball cleanly off hands and in the blink of an eye, he'd dribbled it through for a goal. Luke Breust or Cyril Rioli would've been proud of kicking that one. You can't teach that to a key forward. That's natural ability.

It's been a while since I was yelling with excitement at my TV screen, punching the air and cheering on an opposition key forward like it was a Hawthorn player. It was like a flashback to the 1990's when I'd watch in awe as Plugger or Carey took over a game and booted a big bag of goals.

Well played Tex, you magnificent bastard.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back