News TEX - captain no more

How many weeks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a quick look and Gray was suspended for a week for careless, medium impact when he knocked out McGovern with the following hit.

View attachment 527091

Plus, Natanui got a week for careless, medium impact to head for his tackle that concussed Amon. While there does seem to be a provision to upgrade a charge from low to medium impact if there was potential for serious injury, I’ve got a feeling that Tex might be the first to get done for medium impact to the head where there wasn’t a concussion to the opposition player...
It is utter bull s**t.

Tuohy got "dazed", and it wasn't necessarily from the Tex bump, but also contributed by a whiplash effect, and causing his head to jolt from the impact on the ground. You can argue that everything happened from the bump from Tex. However the intent to knock his head was not there, as mostly you can see it was a body bump.

Then, it's only a matter of how serious the head knock/injury was. Tuohy was more "stunned" than a concussion, because you can see he was jogging off the ground fine without any signs of unsteadiness. A typical concussion, the brain is literally dysfunctional and speech, gait or running patterns would look abnormal. Tuohy did not show any signs of this when he jogged off and when he came back, played better than half of his team mates!
I honestly think it's "low impact", but because the media/commentators had made a big fuss over it during the game, it appeared more serious than what it really was.

Another way of looking at it is comparisons:
Tex bump on Tuohy versus Stewart defensive punch knocking out Greenwood. The level of impact was roughly the same. And Stewart wasn't even cited for rough conduct (and rightly so). These sorts of impact you see commonly in every freakin game!

I really hope the lack of mobility is due to a lack of fitness and injuries rather than age, he has looked so slow and immobile the last 2 weeks.

Tex being way too big (he's 102kg currently) would be a pretty huge factor if I had to take a guess.

Especially for a player reliant on mobility.

Interestingly, GAJ was reported and then cleared on appeal of this hit on David Wirrpanda back in 2006...

r89019_264036.jpg

My how times have changed...

Don't see how he could get nothing for it, it was a dumb hit when he went for the player and not the ball. Regardless, I think giving him the game off v Brisbane wouldn't be the worst idea and I don't think there's much to lose with him being suspended - as in there is no loading these days and it's not as if he's in contention for the brownlow.

Slow motion really played Tex's bump out of context and makes it look worse then it actually was.

firstly within a split second Touhy had knocked the ball past Tex and Tex's momentum left him really with nowhere to go making it look like he lined up Touhy. However Tex, a much bigger man was knocked to the ground as well which indicated that he really didn't hit him with force. Touhy contributed to his own problems by not protecting himself. He saw Tex coming hence why he knocked the ball past him, so he had some duty of care to himself to not just expect Tex to magically stop the trajectory of a 102kg man and change direction to chase the ball.

The only reason I can see why the 1 week suspension is because Tex jumped off the ground, hit him in the head when he could have perhaps pushed off him using his arms. He had an alternative which stays true to the AFL line on bumps and hitting in the head. I have heard some ridiculous suggestions that Tex lined him up out of frustration. Rest assured if Tex lined up Touhy, Touhy would have been out for weeks, not just for a 20 minute checkup, touhy is not this special breed of tough because he got up, he got up because Tex allowed it. There was certainly no malice and if you study human movement and force I think while Tex was negligent he tried to avoid hurting Touhy.

Slow motion really played Tex's bump out of context and makes it look worse then it actually was.

firstly within a split second Touhy had knocked the ball past Tex and Tex's momentum left him really with nowhere to go making it look like he lined up Touhy. However Tex, a much bigger man was knocked to the ground as well which indicated that he really didn't hit him with force. Touhy contributed to his own problems by not protecting himself. He saw Tex coming hence why he knocked the ball past him, so he had some duty of care to himself to not just expect Tex to magically stop the trajectory of a 102kg man and change direction to chase the ball.

The only reason I can see why the 1 week suspension is because Tex jumped off the ground, hit him in the head when he could have perhaps pushed off him using his arms. He had an alternative which stays true to the AFL line on bumps and hitting in the head. I have heard some ridiculous suggestions that Tex lined him up out of frustration. Rest assured if Tex lined up Touhy, Touhy would have been out for weeks, not just for a 20 minute checkup, touhy is not this special breed of tough because he got up, he got up because Tex allowed it. There was certainly no malice and if you study human movement and force I think while Tex was negligent he tried to avoid hurting Touhy.
In the spirit of the game in where it is now, it's a week off. In the spirit of the game say, 5 years ago or before then, it's just a typical act of toughness by both players on a footy field.
Then - both would get up and play on a la Stewart and Greenwood collision.
Now - Tuohy needs to have a mandatory concussion test with 20 minutes off rule; Tex gets 1 week off because Tuohy was off with a concussion test, irrespective if he came back and played well or not.

The rules are set for more player safety awareness regarding head injuries. But it also sets itself up for fan frustration when there are minor infringements (especially with no intent to cause a head knock).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can argue the impact grading we'd be silly not to challenge
I don't think they'll appeal. More likely a waste of time and resources considering the AFL is trying to stamp out the bump, and prefer players to tackle. Also, Tex probably can do with an extra week's rest with his foot and glute strain in recent months.

No issues with the Tex ban, he knew what he was doing, chose to bump and made a glancing contact to face which is pretty much a guaranteed week or more depending on the outcome. Let's not kid ourselves and think Tex is a squeaky clean type player, he pushes the boundaries and sooner or later those who do end up copping some weeks for something.

No issues with the Tex ban, he knew what he was doing, chose to bump and made a glancing contact to face which is pretty much a guaranteed week or more depending on the outcome. Let's not kid ourselves and think Tex is a squeaky clean type player, he pushes the boundaries and sooner or later those who do end up copping some weeks for something.
You're right about the extra boundary-pushing behaviors. I reckon Tex got done on the bump as well as the bump to some opponent against the goal post in the previous week. Likely some additive effect there.
Though I'd argue about the glancing contact to the face. There is no real obvious hit on the head by Tex, and it could well just be a whiplash effect with the neck and head jolting back from the initial contact to the body. It's probably irrelevant where the MRP is going these days, because they look for any hint of concussion, and Tuohy going off 20 mins, implies there was a hint of concussion without the need for a medical verdict.

You're right about the extra boundary-pushing behaviors. I reckon Tex got done on the bump as well as the bump to some opponent against the goal post in the previous week. Likely some additive effect there.
Though I'd argue about the glancing contact to the face. There is no real obvious hit on the head by Tex, and it could well just be a whiplash effect with the neck and head jolting back from the initial contact to the body. It's probably irrelevant where the MRP is going these days, because they look for any hint of concussion, and Tuohy going off 20 mins, implies there was a hint of concussion without the need for a medical verdict.
It looked to slide up to the face for me, don't think it took the brunt of the force by any means but everyone knows you bump and touch the face there's likely trouble so I've got no issue with the week. To be honest the week might do him good firstly as he's not been in great form so a quick rest may be nice. Secondly he's pushed the limits at times so hopefully just getting a quick week will get him focused to not miss any more by doing something stupid.

Selwood needs to be cited for staging. To get a player charged for acting is the lowest form.
Gibbs should appeal & we should be sending particular footage of Selwood, including the trip, as he has far more reason to be fined.

Tex's 1 game ban is fair... it's just a few other decisions like the Burton non-suspension are unreasonable.

Pretty much, it is always a week now.

Whatever, I'm ok with the occasional suspension.

Back