The 2014 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Difference of 60K.
given that footy ratings have also dropped in WA since footys been thrown on 7Mate Serious questions need to asked about putting games on 7Mate.
How often does a QF outrate a ******* prelim?

The cynic in me believes 7 are doing this on purpose with a new rights agreement coming up.
No doubt more people will watch if a game is on the main channel compared to 7mate but another reason for the difference is the QF was a Saturday day game while the PF was a Friday night and directly up against the NRL finals in Sydney. To me the difference means there's 80k Aussie Rules free tv viewers up in Sydney plus another 60k multi-sport (NRL first, AFL second say) who will watch the Swans if there's no NRL on TV. It would've been interesting to know if we had a parallel universe what the Sydney tv ratings would've been if the Swans' PF was the Saturday twilight game rather than the Friday night one.

7 (and the AFL) will be thanking the good lord that the Swans are in as it will boost the numbers and should see it take the "highest sporting event on TV" mantle from the current clubhouse leader being SOO Game II. And just on that...can't wait for the AFL Grand final to go twilight or evening in the next deal to make it somewhat more of an apples v apples comparison.

On a similar note, I predict the NRL grand final figures will be down on last year given it will be a guaranteed all Sydney final with no local teams to provide a boost from QLD or VIC
Based on two years ago it will beat origin in metro but with two origin games breaking 4m this year it will probably fall short as a consolidated number.

It was an all sydney grand final last year in NRL between two of the smallest clubs, so it will probably be the same or higher than last year.

No doubt more people will watch if a game is on the main channel compared to 7mate but another reason for the difference is the QF was a Saturday day game while the PF was a Friday night and directly up against the NRL finals in Sydney. To me the difference means there's 80k Aussie Rules free tv viewers up in Sydney plus another 60k multi-sport (NRL first, AFL second say) who will watch the Swans if there's no NRL on TV. It would've been interesting to know if we had a parallel universe what the Sydney tv ratings would've been if the Swans' PF was the Saturday twilight game rather than the Friday night one.

except the prelim viewers are around the average for most games Sydney have had regardless of timeslot.
The QF is an outlier and a bloody big one. Yet given the timeslot the only real difference is the channel.

hell:
7mate 195k Syd 77k Swans vs Saints!
7mate 92k Syd 72k Swans vs Dogs!

Sat TV #AFLFinals #AFLGF @HawthornFC v @sydneyswans Seven metro 2.813m (Syd 551k Mel 1.31m Bri 275k Ade 302k Per 376k)

Considering Sydney were flogged. Those are some really good ratings

Beat last year, as expected I guess because Sydney were in it, but good ratings seeing as it was virtually over at half time,
Last years was;

Seven's AFL GF Haw v Freo - Seven metro 2.717m (Syd 344k Mel 1.279m Bri 243k Ade 348k Per 503k)

2014: 3.718m (Metro: 2.813m - Syd 551k, Mel 1.310m, Bri 275k, Ade 302k, Per 376k; Regional: 905k)
2013: 3.631m (Metro: 2.717m - Syd 344k, Mel 1.279m, Bri 243k, Ade 348k, Per 503k; Regional: 914k)
2012: 4.053m (Metro: 2.937m - Syd 609k, Mel 1.331m, Bri 295k, Ade 309k, Per 399k; Regional: 1.116m)
2011: 3.525m (Metro: 2.595m - Syd 258k, Mel 1.367m, Bri 308k, Ade 297k, Per 365k; Regional: 929k)
2010: 3.72m. (Metro: 2.679m - Syd 405k, Mel 1.311m, Bri 375k, Ade 274k, Per 314k; Regional: 1.041m) ... replay GF
2010: ? ....... (Metro: 2.777m - Syd 368k, Mel 1.475m, Bri 283k, Ade 314k, Per 338k; Regional: ?) ..... drawn GF
2009: 3.47m. (Metro: 2.704m - Syd 309k, Mel 1.426m, Bri 254k, Ade 403k, Per 312k; Regional: 770k)

Sources: Mediaweekaus twitter, TVtonight, The Age.

TV audiences in Sydney watching *update* @sydneyswans in #AFLGF 2005: 991k (win) 2006: 765k (loss) 2012: 610k (win) 2014: 551k (loss)
The blowout loss had an effect compared to the 2012 nailbiter. The post-match presentation ceremony rated 395k in Sydney yesterday whereas in 2012 it rated 740k (more than game itself).

Wookie,
Is there any way to estimate what the GF ratings might be should it move to an evening time slot? What was the percentage increase when the rugby league did it and could the same increase be expected for footy?
I see trolls and our friends over at LU are claiming yesterday was a disaster for the AFL in Sydney but is there reason to believe the percentage increase for a night final would be greater in non-football states because they're more likely to be casual viewers who'll watch if they aren't out shopping, at nippers or whatever it is that occupies the time of those lucky enough to live in the world's most self-regarding city?

Wookie,
Is there any way to estimate what the GF ratings might be should it move to an evening time slot? What was the percentage increase when the rugby league did it and could the same increase be expected for footy?
I see trolls and our friends over at LU are claiming yesterday was a disaster for the AFL in Sydney but is there reason to believe the percentage increase for a night final would be greater in non-football states because they're more likely to be casual viewers who'll watch if they aren't out shopping, at nippers or whatever it is that occupies the time of those lucky enough to live in the world's most self-regarding city?

Ive no idea. If you look at AFL ratings as a guide though, Saturday nights well and truly belt the crap out of afternoon tv ratings. not to mention prime time over a ratings dead zone which is saturday arvos. It also allows for a better spectacle to be produced...fireworks are always better at night. The flip side of that is you lose the stand alone nature of the event, as it would then clash with the NRL prelim that night.

I have no idea what league went up by when it switched to nights.

Yeh lots of people go to bunnings and coles on a saturday. They would def watch it if it was on at night because bunnings and coles would probably be closed by then.

Nippers is finished by 11 so i doubt they can get home by 2.30 to watch something they are interested in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced you would see a substantial increase, the GF is an event, people will watch it no matter what time it is, and to say it would gain more viewers at night because more are watching TV isn't guaranteed either because the competition is greater in prime time. It would still likely increase ratings but I don't think it would be as many as others have suggested.

Yeh lots of people go to bunnings and coles on a saturday. They would def watch it if it was on at night because bunnings and coles would probably be closed by then.

Nippers is finished by 11 so i doubt they can get home by 2.30 to watch something they are interested in

never mind the people working on the weekend right and many others do have things that need doing while the sun shines. Take your trolling elsewhere. Ill not warn you again today.

I'm not convinced you would see a substantial increase, the GF is an event, people will watch it no matter what time it is, and to say it would gain more viewers at night because more are watching TV isn't guaranteed either because the competition is greater in prime time. It would still likely increase ratings but I don't think it would be as many as others have suggested.

Ratings figures at all other times disagree with you.

I think you're wrong. Personally I loathe league, But I have watched SOO and the grand final because I'm on the couch when it's shown. If those league matches were on a Saturday arvo, I wouldn't be watching the Tele so I wouldn't see it.

Ratings figures at all other times disagree with you.
Ok, so where is the substantial growth going to come from? The NRL States would be watching their prelim.

It's not an episode of the block, people know when it's on and will watch it, like I said it would likely increase ratings I just don't think it would be a massive increase.

Ok, so where is the substantial growth going to come from? The NRL States would be watching their prelim.

It's not an episode of the block, people know when it's on and will watch it, like I said it would likely increase ratings I just don't think it would be a massive increase.

People who watch the block tend to know when its on as well. I didnt say the ratings would increase massively, but they would rise a decent amount - and I suspect the NRL would move the prelim to a day slot to give it its own air.

People who watch the block tend to know when its on as well. I didnt say the ratings would increase massively, but they would rise a decent amount - and I suspect the NRL would move the prelim to a day slot to give it its own air.
The block is not an event, if it was out of prime time people wouldn't have even heard of it.

It'd be interesting to see how much Ch7 have pushed the AFL to move it to night or even twilight..how much extra they'd be willing to pay for the switch. I know it won't be moved from Saturday but Sunday is perfect for twilight/night tv wise, end of the weekend, more causal viewers who might watch it, no NRL prelim either to compete with and you'd think most other networks avoiding top rating programs clashing with the GF

You cant seriously believe that moving something from an afternoon screening to prime time television wont increase ratings, never mind mountains of ratings data that tell us otherwise.
I have already said twice it would increase ratings, but you can't just compare it to all other tv shows and say as a result it will increase them just as substantially. The block doesn't have the fan engagement that an afl GF does.

I have already said twice it would increase ratings, but you can't just compare it to all other tv shows and say as a result it will increase them just as substantially. The block doesn't have the fan engagement that an afl GF does.

Of course I can reach that assumption. TV viewing habits are widely established. If you show something in prime time, it generally pulls more. Its why Seven have consistently asked for it to be moved.

Of course I can reach that assumption. TV viewing habits are widely established. If you show something in prime time, it generally pulls more. Its why Seven have consistently asked for it to be moved.
Seven also want it moved because ratings share doesn't start until after 6pm and would therefore help them win the ratings, that's why last night seven lost the ratings despite having the top 4 shows of the day by a substantial margin.

All I am saying is the GF is not just another show, it will rate wherever you put it because it is an event and people will go out of their way to watch it, it would pull in some more casual viewers because more people are watching TV at night but IMO it wouldn't be as great as some may believe because those same casual viewers are also being competed for by other shows in primetime. Just an opinion you don't have to agree with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back