Strategy The actual positive thread

Remove this Banner Ad

im positive that im all out of positives

There's plenty of positives.

We played 5 teenagers on the weekend (6 if you count Drury who turned 20 in January), and although Drury was down, the other 5 showed they belong at the level (from the brilliant Marstermind, we know the the last time we played 5 teenagers was 34 years ago, and we lost by 95).

Sheezel and Wardlaw rank 1 and 2 for their age; Powell #4 for his age

Paul Curtis had his first serious exposure in the centre, and showed that he could cut it

Xerri continues to develop manfully, ranks 3rd for hitouts, 1st for tackles by a ruck, 2nd for centre clearances for a ruck

Tom Powell and LDU both rank in the top 20 for centre clearances

There's silver linings if you look for them

Right now it’s so easy to feed into all the negativity that surrounds Nth. But I’m a glass half full kind of guy and onboard with Clarko’s “stay the course” narrative. We are 7 ( terrible) games into the season. There’s 17 more to go. We finish the season with: Tigs, WC, Dogs and Hawks. At some point this season with continuity of selection and availability we will gel as a team and the coaching and plan will become evident. Any trade/ draft talk has to be put aside for now. Logue and Dawson(Kallan) will be critical to our team performance and coming home with a wet sail is entirely possible. Injuries to important structural players right now is also killing us. Dawson, Goater, Logue, Ford, and CCJ. A West Coast style revival is certainly a possibility this year.

Right now it’s so easy to feed into all the negativity that surrounds Nth. But I’m a glass half full kind of guy and onboard with Clarko’s “stay the course” narrative. We are 7 ( terrible) games into the season. There’s 17 more to go. We finish the season with: Tigs, WC, Dogs and Hawks. At some point this season with continuity of selection and availability we will gel as a team and the coaching and plan will become evident. Any trade/ draft talk has to be put aside for now. Logue and Dawson(Kallan) will be critical to our team performance and coming home with a wet sail is entirely possible. Injuries to important structural players right now is also killing us. Dawson, Goater, Logue, Ford, and CCJ. A West Coast style revival is certainly a possibility this year.
Actually there's 16. The good news just keeps on coming!

We played 5 teenagers on the weekend (6 if you count Drury who turned 20 in January), and although Drury was down, the other 5 showed they belong at the level (from the brilliant Marstermind, we know the the last time we played 5 teenagers was 34 years ago, and we lost by 95).

Paul Curtis had his first serious exposure in the centre, and showed that he could cut it

Xerri continues to develop manfully, ranks 3rd for hitouts, 1st for tackles by a ruck, 2nd for centre clearances for a ruck

But our senior players are for the tip.
Simpkin
L.Mcdonald
Corr
Tucker
Fisher
Stephenson
Coleman-Jones
Stephens
Greenwood
Shiels
Zurhaar
(overrated/gone anyway)

But our senior players are for the tip.
Simpkin
L.Mcdonald
Corr
Tucker
Fisher
Stephenson
Coleman-Jones
Stephens
Greenwood
Shiels
Zurhaar
(overrated/gone anyway)
Wrong thread, mate. Every other thread is for this.

Top 20 for CC sounds better than it really is. It's only slightly better than being Top 20 for hitouts as a ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm coming to Aus in July and I know we are going to get belted but I will see as many games as I possibly can. I want to see Duursma, Curtis and Comben (and hopefully Maley) fly for their marks. I want to see Sheezel, LDU and McKercher breaking ankles and hitting Larkey and Zhurhaar lace-out. I want to hear big X and Archer hitting bodies and Biggie smacking the ball over the boundary. I want to see Wardlaw doing his thing and getting the ball out to Powell and the runners. I want to see Dawson and Logue and Hardeman working as a unit.
I really want to see Simpkin and McDonald playing good footy.

I'm coming to Aus in July and I know we are going to get belted but I will see as many games as I possibly can. I want to see Duursma, Curtis and Comben (and hopefully Maley) fly for their marks. I want to see Sheezel, LDU and McKercher breaking ankles and hitting Larkey and Zhurhaar lace-out. I want to hear big X and Archer hitting bodies and Biggie smacking the ball over the boundary. I want to see Wardlaw doing his thing and getting the ball out to Powell and the runners. I want to see Dawson and Logue and Hardeman working as a unit.
I really want to see Simpkin and McDonald playing good footy.
good work, enjoy

So as it is the halfway point of the season, although that is or was at half time against the all-at-sea-eagles.

There has been quite a few positives in season 2024, I think the obvious one is the victory, let's be honest, it was long over due. So with that as the back drop to the smile on all and anyone who cares about NMFC's faces.

We moved on/lost at seasons end another 13 players. Below are my focus.
1.Goldy.
2.Cunners
3.Magoo
4.Ziebell
5.Hall
There would be a further 1000 plus games of experience lost. But for once it would seem we had some replacements ready to go.
Then we had season ending injuries to CCJ & Goater , and let's forget Logue.
Losing CCJ, did upset our already wonky applecart. We had no second ruck. I'm not his biggest fan, but gee it left a hole.

But through it all it opened up opportunities.

Xerri- hard to fault him tbh. Makes me smile. Best 22

Powell - On any metric worthy of discussing he's improved, and is still far from the finished product. That's the important bit for mine, still has room for further improvement. Is now best 22

Comben - We lost Magoo, and as much as I desire to see him being a presence in our fwd line, I'm hardly upset he's playing well down back. This kid has played 18 games and tbh not a lot of footy during the last 3 years at least. He could well be a club champion by the time his career is over. Is now best 22

Fisher - When I saw his highlights, I thought , ok, he seems to work hard and provide an option, something we have lacked for an eternity, yes he doesn't tackle much, yes he has his limitations. But we have found a HBF that gets the ball 30 times a game. FMD- ****ing finally !! Sits third for total disposals for us. Best 22

McKercher - Well he's unfortunately injured, but we've seen him 9 times, and there's a lot to like. Sits fifth for total disposals for us. ( on average) Will be best 22 by seasons end.

So my longwinded point is the second five are better than the first five.

Not finished as yet :)
Curtis - another that draws the ire of the faithful from time to time. He's a livewire fwd, has equaled his goal tally from last season with 7 games up his sleeve.

So at this stage it would seem we've found six decent footballers for the season that is 2024.

Not farking bad aye.

Hopefully by seasons end we see more of W.Dawson, Duursma, Hardeman and get to look at George , Teakle and Payne.

I think we may well look back on 2024 fondly for reasons other than wins.

Our maligned defence stepping up to be our best performing third has been a shining light.

A slight negative: so many players slipping over at key times.

Corr wisely lurking in the goal square and saving us from that last shot at goal feels like a bit of an unsung moment. The defence has been looking like something lately.

So as it is the halfway point of the season, although that is or was at half time against the all-at-sea-eagles.

There has been quite a few positives in season 2024, I think the obvious one is the victory, let's be honest, it was long over due. So with that as the back drop to the smile on all and anyone who cares about NMFC's faces.

We moved on/lost at seasons end another 13 players. Below are my focus.
1.Goldy.
2.Cunners
3.Magoo
4.Ziebell
5.Hall
There would be a further 1000 plus games of experience lost. But for once it would seem we had some replacements ready to go.
Then we had season ending injuries to CCJ & Goater , and let's forget Logue.
Losing CCJ, did upset our already wonky applecart. We had no second ruck. I'm not his biggest fan, but gee it left a hole.

But through it all it opened up opportunities.

Xerri- hard to fault him tbh. Makes me smile. Best 22

Powell - On any metric worthy of discussing he's improved, and is still far from the finished product. That's the important bit for mine, still has room for further improvement. Is now best 22

Comben - We lost Magoo, and as much as I desire to see him being a presence in our fwd line, I'm hardly upset he's playing well down back. This kid has played 18 games and tbh not a lot of footy during the last 3 years at least. He could well be a club champion by the time his career is over. Is now best 22

Fisher - When I saw his highlights, I thought , ok, he seems to work hard and provide an option, something we have lacked for an eternity, yes he doesn't tackle much, yes he has his limitations. But we have found a HBF that gets the ball 30 times a game. FMD- ****ing finally !! Sits third for total disposals for us. Best 22

McKercher - Well he's unfortunately injured, but we've seen him 9 times, and there's a lot to like. Sits fifth for total disposals for us. ( on average) Will be best 22 by seasons end.

So my longwinded point is the second five are better than the first five.

Not finished as yet :)
Curtis - another that draws the ire of the faithful from time to time. He's a livewire fwd, has equaled his goal tally from last season with 7 games up his sleeve.

So at this stage it would seem we've found six decent footballers for the season that is 2024.

Not farking bad aye.

Hopefully by seasons end we see more of W.Dawson, Duursma, Hardeman and get to look at George , Teakle and Payne.

I think we may well look back on 2024 fondly for reasons other than wins.

"There has been quite a few positives in season 2024". As soon as I read that, I just deleted the email.

Shocked Pee Wee Herman GIF

Between North finally winning, and the Boston Celtics taking a commanding 2-0 lead in the NBA Finals, this is by far the most enjoyable weekend of sport I've had in quite some time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back