2nds The Adelaide Crows Reserves - sponsored by Bendigo Bank

Remove this Banner Ad

The aflpa must be seen to be doing something I guess but with the reliance on more cricket venues the extra "rest weeks" mean no preseason footy in Adelaide and Melbourne. Not a biggy if you don't mind Richmond oval or Victoria park but the afl are getting more and more jammed in between cricket seasons.

Pretty clear to my eyes that the AFLPA want a 17 round season (just check out the recent talks to players in regards to rule changes etc) but the AFL won't do that as it means 40 lost matches which is a lot of $$$. So the middle ground is to introduce a bye round along with a split round.

I meant that the overseas soccer leagues manage to survive playing every week (and often mid-week) even though it means sometimes the best players either have games off completely or are substituted on/off.
In that case you have squad rotation players which isn't possible in the AFL considering they have double the amount of players in a game, list sizes would be massive.

They wouldn't need to be any different to now

That's true. Teams would just go through more players in a season. Average player quality in any given on-field team may drop as the talent evens out, but highly-skilled players would stand out more. Kids would get more games. The skill of any given team doesn't directly correlate to the excitement of a game either.

Every side in the English Premier League plays an absolute minimum of 38 league games, 1 league cup game and 1 FA Cup game in a season for 40 games.

The most an English club can play in a season is 38 League games, 19 Europa League games (reach the final from the 3rd Qualifying round), 10 FA Cup games (reach the final from the 3rd round proper and have draw + replay in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th rounds proper), and 7 League Cup games (reach the final from the 2nd round). On top of that, players who are internationals may play another 10+ ties for their country across the season.

Our league just needs better player management and better player rotation, and deletion of the rookie list so the main list is expanded to 50.

Soccer isn't anywhere near as physical as AFL so it wouldn't be as demanding on their bodies. I also believe they don't have finals either? So they really want to go all at it in the H&A season whereas AFL clubs want to have their stars in the best possible shape come finals.

Soccer isn't anywhere near as physical as AFL so it wouldn't be as demanding on their bodies. I also believe they don't have finals either? So they really want to go all at it in the H&A season whereas AFL clubs want to have their stars in the best possible shape come finals.
Yes but they play more than double the number of games.

Wanting to have AFL players cherry ripe for finals is more reason to rotate occassionally, not less. A few clubs already do this (Freo and Geelong from recent memory) late in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer players run just as far as AFL players, and while they don't have the physicality of a full contact tackling sport there is a notable amount of physicality at corners and set plays into the box.

And they do have finals, when they play in cup competitions such as the League Cup, FA Cup, Europa Cup or UEFA Champions League where they have a knockout finals system, and the European tournaments also have round robin group stages preceeding

Yes but they play more than double the number of games.

Wanting to have AFL players cherry ripe for finals is more reason to rotate occassionally, not less. A few clubs already do this (Freo and Geelong from recent memory) late in the season.
I think at the same time the AFL don't want to see the stars of the game rested because fans don't want to go to a game to find out Ablett is missing with 'general soreness' so he's more prepared for the finals. Even with the byes teams will still rest players, but perhaps less likely.

Soccer players run just as far as AFL players, and while they don't have the physicality of a full contact tackling sport there is a notable amount of physicality at corners and set plays into the box.

And they do have finals, when they play in cup competitions such as the League Cup, FA Cup, Europa Cup or UEFA Champions League where they have a knockout finals system, and the European tournaments also have round robin group stages preceeding

But I'm sure it wouldn't take anywhere near the toll on your body as AFL would.

I won't pretend to understand the EPL as I don't follow it but I always thought that whoever finished on top at the end of the season won the title so I'm not sure how they can have all these cup competitions as the season goes on?

I think at the same time the AFL don't want to see the stars of the game rested because fans don't want to go to a game to find out Ablett is missing with 'general soreness' so he's more prepared for the finals. Even with the byes teams will still rest players, but perhaps less likely.
That's why I made the comparison with overseas.

Their best players sometimes miss games and are rested but the competition goes on. It doesn't grind to a standstill with everyone forced to rest at the same time. And popularity is not a problem even with the stars missing the odd game!

What happens now with the bye rounds is that players aren't rested when they need it. They soldier on until the next bye. Eg I'm sure Scott Thompson wouldn't have played vs Hawthorn if we didn't have the bye the week after.

I won't pretend to understand the EPL as I don't follow it but I always thought that whoever finished on top at the end of the season won the title so I'm not sure how they can have all these cup competitions as the season goes on?

The league is the league. The FA Cup is a knockout competition open to every football club in the country right down to what would be your local saturday amateurs, the League Cup is a knockout competition open to every club in the football league (which is Premier League, Championship, League 1, League 2, or what used to be Division 1, 2, 3 and 4), the UEFA Champions League is a knockout competition between the best teams in Europe, the Europa League is a numerically larger competition but features lesser teams from top leagues and top teams from lesser leagues.

Their best players sometimes miss games and are rested but the competition goes on. It doesn't grind to a standstill with everyone forced to rest at the same time. And popularity is not a problem even with the stars missing the odd game!

What happens now with the bye rounds is that players aren't rested when they need it. They soldier on until the next bye. Eg I'm sure Scott Thompson wouldn't have played vs Hawthorn if we didn't have the bye the week after.
And when the Spurs decide to rest 3-4 of their stars in the one match, the commission then gives them a 50k fine!

Agree with the second point but it seems the AFLPA are getting a lot of things their way and since the AFL won't reduce the amount of games in the season, this appears to be the middle ground (also saw them reduce the amount of time spent at the club by 1-2 hours a week for memory as well).

The cats like last year are managing players by resting them from games. I think all 3 ruckman/kpp have been rested for 1 game each over the past 3. Scott has done the same with younger players.

The likes of Lyons should have been used more as we too could have rotated players. Even mckernan or Graham when we played freo away.

Need to think the season not just the next game.

Are we better off with a fitter danger playing say 2 less games or playing every game at 75%?

Ps interesting article on Martin saying the reserves team has helped him back into the afl side because he was able to play the role & style required.

Surely developing players ready for afl is more important to winning... Though hopefully that is a byproduct.

Geelong can afford the risk of resting players but we don't have that luxury. The bye should benefit us hopefully.
I disagree.

AFC would have been better off resting Danger & bringing in Lyons, as Danger has been ordinary because of injury in plenty of games.

What would we have lost playing Graham away against Freo?

When we have had depth of players in the SANFL from mid season, we should be utilising them on a rotational basis with medium-term view.

Doubt we would be in any worse position than now ... & only adds to competition for spots with extra opportunity.

I disagree.

AFC would have been better off resting Danger & bringing in Lyons, as Danger has been ordinary because of injury in plenty of games.

What would we have lost playing Graham away against Freo?

When we have had depth of players in the SANFL from mid season, we should be utilising them on a rotational basis with medium-term view.

Doubt we would be in any worse position than now ... & only adds to competition for spots with extra opportunity.
Also makes the players getting those games hungrier to hold them and also exposes them to the speed of the seniors and improves our depth.

Happened last year with Scotty Thompson and this year with Danger. Sometimes players need rest to be get back to their best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back