The battle for top 4 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

I love all the four main trophies. Great memories with the League Cup, we hold the record for most times won.

I dont get trophy snobs who dont care about the League Cup or the FA Cup etc. The point of football is to win trophies. Sure its not the European Cup but it's still a trophy and that's what you play for.
CL is all that matters. We play in the hardest league to win and still don't give a stuff. When we won the 10th we were resting players in LL with 4 games to go when we were level with Barca.

But I think chef is only saying this because his team went into Austerity.

Not a lot of benefit scrapping the league cup imo. Few more games to play but that's about the only negative of the comp.

Great opportunity to give chances to fringe players/kids. Chance for supporters to watch a game hopefully at more affordable prices than the league. It can be a good money maker particular for those lower league clubs.

And for those that make the final it's a cracking day out.

Not a lot of benefit scrapping the league cup imo. Few more games to play but that's about the only negative of the comp.

Great opportunity to give chances to fringe players/kids. Chance for supporters to watch a game hopefully at more affordable prices than the league. It can be a good money maker particular for those lower league clubs.

And for those that make the final it's a cracking day out.
I think the players would hate to lose it. More games, more opportunity to play. Particularly kids and fringe players looking to impress to push for further opportunities.

This last little debate wasn’t started around whether you would like to win the FA cup, but rather the FA cup is preferable to a top 4 finish.

Personally I’d rather top 4 and a ticket to the big dance. I sense there would not be many United or Liverpool fans who would swap there league position for an FA cup.

Of course Spurs could do both :)

2 knockout cup comps when every other country has 1 is pretty odd. FA Cup needs to be the big one. Even the J paint trophy is a bit weird with U23s sides playing in it.
The League Cup was originally used as:
1. To purely increase revenue and to give the Football League Leverage over The FA (Hmm... this sounds very familiar...)
2. To add an exciting competition to be played in the night as some sort of Night Cup

Of course... the League Cup is only worth 100,000 pounds, and nightly fixtures are common these days. So everything that makes the League Cup the League Cup is pretty much all gone.

CL is all that matters. We play in the hardest league to win and still don't give a stuff. When we won the 10th we were resting players in LL with 4 games to go when we were level with Barca.

But I think chef is only saying this because his team went into Austerity.
latest

This last little debate wasn’t started around whether you would like to win the FA cup, but rather the FA cup is preferable to a top 4 finish.

Personally I’d rather top 4 and a ticket to the big dance. I sense there would not be many United or Liverpool fans who would swap there league position for an FA cup.

Of course Spurs could do both :)
I would. 5th and The FA cup is better than 4th and no cup.
Would prefer both however

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 knockout cup comps when every other country has 1 is pretty odd. FA Cup needs to be the big one. Even the J paint trophy is a bit weird with U23s sides playing in it.

France has Coupe de France and Coupe de la Ligue, all the rest have one and a shield equivalent.

What does Germany and Spain have? I'm only familiar with the Pokal and Copa Del Rey.

Beer Stein da Germany and Cup de la Espana.

Beer Stein da Germany and Cup de la Espana.
So if English sides don't have a real disadvantage in terms of games played why are people complaining? Is it the fact there are too many games around Christmas/Jan?

So if English sides don't have a real disadvantage in terms of games played why are people complaining? Is it the fact there are too many games around Christmas/Jan?
Well the games over Xmas are a genuine issue in the game. It's very much catered for the fans and not the well being of the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back