The Biggest Sporting event known to human kind..

Remove this Banner Ad

P-MONEY

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barca, Victory
As the title writes this is the biggest event Australia will ever see. This will not only boost up the economy but it will advertise Australia to the world as a holiday destination.

If you don't believe this is beneficial to Australia, well you either have rocks in your head or just plain stupid.

If you don't like the sport then please take your reading somewhere else because your opinion isn't valued.

Don't get me wrong i love my footy, I've been a member for many years but with the AFL taking a stance in this decision, it has given me a new perception of the AFL.

It would be a long life dream to watch a world cup in Australia, which many of you will not have this same desire.

If there is interference with the bid from the other codes and effects the bid then hold your head in shame because you have just effected the biggest show piece in the world..

As the title writes this is the biggest event Australia will ever see. This will not only boost up the economy but it will advertise Australia to the world as a holiday destination.

If you don't believe this is beneficial to Australia, well you either have rocks in your head or just plain stupid.

If you don't like the sport then please take your reading somewhere else because your opinion isn't valued.

Don't get me wrong i love my footy, I've been a member for many years but with the AFL taking a stance in this decision, it has given me a new perception of the AFL.

It would be a long life dream to watch a world cup in Australia, which many of you will not have this same desire.

If there is interference with the bid from the other codes and effects the bid then hold your head in shame because you have just effected the biggest show piece in the world..

Yes - but the economic experts disagree as to the net benefits.

the truth is - the net benefits are illusory

I would love to see the World Cup played in Australia, and I truly think that before May cooler heads will prevail and we will be able to present a united bid with all the details ironed out.

However, Andrew Demetriou, who is appointed by the Commision to look after the best interests of the game, has done the right thing in my opinion.

Just to reiterate that, his JOB is to represent and look after the best interests of AFL footy.

If someone asked me to bend over for the wishes of one of my companies major competitors, I think I'd tell them to get bent.

As I said, I think we'll all get it done - however I fully support the AFL's posturing. To me, they are telling the FFA that "yes, we will help you - but not if you think you can just dictate terms to us".

I would love to see the World Cup played in Australia, and I truly think that before May cooler heads will prevail and we will be able to present a united bid with all the details ironed out.

However, Andrew Demetriou, who is appointed by the Commision to look after the best interests of the game, has done the right thing in my opinion.

Just to reiterate that, his JOB is to represent and look after the best interests of AFL footy.

If someone asked me to bend over for the wishes of one of my companies major competitors, I think I'd tell them to get bent.

As I said, I think we'll all get it done - however I fully support the AFL's posturing. To me, they are telling the FFA that "yes, we will help you - but not if you think you can just dictate terms to us".

Good post.

Let us all recall that AD's primary responsibility is to 600,000 AFL members.

Sorry P, I think you've been scammed by the spin. I can't see how we could possibly make a positive return on hosting a World Cup, we just start so far behind in lacking the facilities. Not just stadiums, but just having enough cities big enough to act as hosts even for the early rounds. It will be a huge cost to bring regional centres up to the standards required of a state capital. It will cost far more than we could ever hope to get back from it.

It would be a case of bringing regional centres up to a capital city standard in a decade what would take them 50-80 years of organic growth to achieve.

Sorry P, I think you've been scammed by the spin. I can't see how we could possibly make a positive return on hosting a World Cup, we just start so far behind in lacking the facilities. Not just stadiums, but just having enough cities big enough to act as hosts even for the early rounds. It will be a huge cost to bring regional centres up to the standards required of a state capital. It will cost far more than we could ever hope to get back from it.

It would be a case of bringing regional centres up to a capital city standard in a decade what would take them 50-80 years of organic growth to achieve.

Another good post - people forget that cites the size of Canberra will struggle to host a group.

He struggles to do that within the code WITHOUT the spectre of the WC or anything remotely close to that.

That is blatantly untrue. The AFL is a phenomenally well run sporting organisation - just look at the NRL for proof.

We as AFL fans are spoilt as far as the running of our competition is concerned, and it does annoy me slightly when people criticise what they don't seem to understand.

The biggest sporting event known to mankind.
But
What we need is a bit of help from all the other codes.
Please can we use your footy grounds because we haven’t got any big enough?
And while you’re at it, could you do them up a bit for us.
And also could you not play your sport at the same time.
We will keep all the money that we make out of it though.
Heaps of tourists will come to Australia because of this, just like after the Olympics.
Yours sincerely FFA.

Isn't this exactly what the FFA and FIFA are doing as well?

Demetriou etc are positioning themselves to get the best deal possible for their codes, as they should as its their job. I fail to see how bringing ground management and other areas of concern into the public arena will harm the bid as its 9/13 years down the track.

As an example, The World Cup is run during the northern summer so it doesn't interfere with local club competitions - anybody see some double standards popping up?

Stadia have to fit FIFA requirements but be paid for local/national governments - who then don't get direct reimbursement via ticket sales but only indirectly through GST. I think this is a bit rich just as the local FFA demanding stadia in which doesn't have stakes (apart from Etihad).

I'd like to see the world cup here but not at the price of local codes having to miss seasons. I'm also sure that a compromise will be worked out with the AFL using regional areas for four weeks then suspending for the Cup's duration. This may require that certain teams play away for several weeks then home for a few in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand and agree with everything but we are talking about a world cup, not some swimming meet..

Sacrifices will need to be made no matter which country hosts.
There will always be something that will need to be re-arranged with an event such as this.

Also in regards to spending to improve facilities etc.. It is very similar to Tiger coming out and justifying his price tag..
You can't put a net worth on kids watching sport and wanting to be like there hero's/idol's and going outside, running being physical.. This has more net worth then you can imagine and lets be honest the kids these days are too cooped up playing video games to actually get out their and enjoying a good old kick to kick so to speak.

Human kind events, Melbourne had the "biggest sporting event in the World" the Olympic games in '56, and where did that leave us, no where, Sydney had "the biggest sporting event in 2000, and where did it leave the Emerald City. Broke. Just like in the Simpsons, except exchange "monorail" with big "events". When are we going to wake up that home grown is better?

I understand and agree with everything but we are talking about a world cup, not some swimming meet..

Sacrifices will need to be made no matter which country hosts.
There will always be something that will need to be re-arranged with an event such as this.

Let some other country make the sacrifice. The sacrifice required to get it here to Australia is more than what I'm prepared to pay.

That fact that it is the biggest sporting event in the world is exactly what rules us out of hosting it. It is just way too damn big, even for Frank Lowy's overinflated ego.

Andy D is doing exactly what he should be doing. The AFL is his responsibility, and the World Cup poses a potentially huge threat. He should be huffing and puffing and stamping as much as possible. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the World Cup in Australia. I'm not a soccer fan, I don't mind it and sometimes watch Australia when I flick onto it, but come on! This is the World Cup! But I have no problem with Demetriou trying to minimise the influence on the AFL season, and extracting whatever compensation he can get. In fact, I'd be disappointed with anything else. Ultimately, he won't stop the World Cup coming to Australia if the bid is good enough, but he does have some control over what happens to the AFL season, and what they get out of it.

Let some other country make the sacrifice. The sacrifice required to get it here to Australia is more than what I'm prepared to pay.

That fact that it is the biggest sporting event in the world is exactly what rules us out of hosting it. It is just way too damn big, even for Frank Lowy's overinflated ego.

But Demetriou is a shy and humble man..right ok.

Melbourne is the new Cronulla it seems.

Ultimately, he won't stop the World Cup coming to Australia if the bid is good enough, but he does have some control over what happens to the AFL season, and what they get out of it.

I think you may be underestimating his influence. If he, as leader of the most powerful sporting body in the land decides to dig his heels in and fight the World Cup bid, there will not BE a World Cup in Australia. I think that is pretty apparent.

As I said earlier though, I applaud his actions as I think it will make the FFA realise that they cannot just expect all codes in the land to bend over for the World Cup bid - it needs to be done together.

I think you may be underestimating his influence. If he, as leader of the most powerful sporting body in the land decides to dig his heels in and fight the World Cup bid, there will not BE a World Cup in Australia. I think that is pretty apparent.

As I said earlier though, I applaud his actions as I think it will make the FFA realise that they cannot just expect all codes in the land to bend over for the World Cup bid - it needs to be done together.

Yes - it's unbelievable that our Northern friends have not come to understand this yet.

And he has every reason to dig his heels in - every reason.

Let us all be clear - the AFL is not responible for the fact that the FFA is going to have a half arsed bid - it's got nothing to do with the AFL - and everything to do with FFA incompetence.

Selfish Bastard. You want everyone in Australia to contribute to a multi-billion dollar fund to get YOUR life dream up and going.

Yes - it's unbelievable that our Northern friends have not come to understand this yet.

And he has every reason to dig his heels in - every reason.

Let us all be clear - the AFL is not responible for the fact that the FFA is going to have a half arsed bid - it's got nothing to do with the AFL - and everything to do with FFA incompetence.

Businesses making deals a fraction of this size would have to exercise "Due diligence" .

AFL may well be the scapegoat but not the reason.

Did the AFL build the MCG?

Do you seriously think that the size, capacity and modernity on offer at the MCG would have happened if not for the steady income stream that the AFL provides to the stadium?

Do you not realise that the Cain Government basically sold the AFL down the river in relation to Waverley by promising a train line and not delivering - many of the problems we're now discussing in fact go back to the decisions made in the 1970s and 80s.

If the Cain Government had built this train line and Waverley been well supported - it could still be there now, and would possibly be the home of football.

However, we may also still have the Southern Stand and all the old stands on the Northern side.

The MCG would look very different though - who knows, the Commonwealth Games may have been held at Waverley?

So much history there you dismiss with such a glib argument because on almost any level - yes, the MCG is the ground that footy built.

Do you seriously think that the size, capacity and modernity on offer at the MCG would have happened if not for the steady income stream that the AFL provides to the stadium?

Do you not realise that the Cain Government basically sold the AFL down the river in relation to Waverley by promising a train line and not delivering - many of the problems we're now discussing in fact go back to the decisions made in the 1970s and 80s.

If the Cain Government had built this train line and Waverley been well supported - it could still be there now, and would possibly be the home of football.

However, we may also still have the Southern Stand and all the old stands on the Northern side.

The MCG would look very different though - who knows, the Commonwealth Games may have been held at Waverley?

So much history there you dismiss with such a glib argument because on almost any level - yes, the MCG is the ground that footy built.

It's unbelievable that soccer people are demanding use of the MCG without understanding the intimate relationship between the MCG and Australian Football over more than a century.

Go learn some Australian history before making unreasonable demands!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back