Scape Goat The Cam Guthrie Echo Chamber

Remove this Banner Ad

FL site:

BEST
North Melbourne:
Cunnington, Higgins, Brown, Atley, Macmillan, Goldstein
Geelong: Kelly, Ablett, Duncan, Guthrie, Hawkins, Stewart, Taylor

The work experience kid got the gig...

Midfielders alone - Parfitt, Constable and Dangerfield all had better games than Guthrie. Even Dahlhaus, maybe. I'll bet the stats suggest so too.

Then throw this into the mix - Higgins was their best, Guthrie was running with him from what I saw. Had a defensive role. Higgins destroyed Guthrie, even if you call it a head to head, still a poor game.

Last edited:

Not only were you called out on your obvious lie, you reference the ONLY report naming Guthrie in the best, just happens to be written by Guthrie's brother...

Hilarious.
Another report was on Footy Almanac.
As I said, I'm not that interested in digging them out.
Anyhow, not quite sure why I'm even responding to such an obvious internet stalker.

Another report was on Footy Almanac.
As I said, I'm not that interested in digging them out.
Anyhow, not quite sure why I'm even responding to such an obvious internet stalker.

You're a liar and you made yourself look like a fool.. Just keep digging a bigger hole mate.

You're a liar and you made yourself look like a fool.. Just keep digging a bigger hole mate.
Let me describe to you what a fool actually looks like: it's someone who has Cam Guthrie actually living in their head 24 hours a day.
You've hurt me to the quick calling me a liar and a fool.
I'm not sure if I'll ever recover to be honest.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did you think of his role on Higgins?

30 plus is par for Higgins. Its how he hurts you. Higgins was strong on inside with 7 clearances, and that is hard to put a hard tag on. I didn't think he hurt us on outside which Guthrie contributed to. Not sure what you are getting at here but clearly you disagree. With a player like Higgins, for me if you keep him inside, he is well contained, if you give him space, he can hurt you - he did not hurt us. But you can draw your own conclusions im sure.

30 plus is par for Higgins. Its how he hurts you. Higgins was strong on inside with 7 clearances, and that is hard to put a hard tag on. I didn't think he hurt us on outside which Guthrie contributed to. Not sure what you are getting at here but clearly you disagree. With a player like Higgins, for me if you keep him inside, he is well contained, if you give him space, he can hurt you - he did not hurt us. But you can draw your own conclusions im sure.

Not sure what I'm getting at? OK..

Higgins' Champion score was the highest in the Roos side, only 2 players in Geelong's side scored higher. A lot of what makes up that score is effectiveness. Higgins had a good game!

Higgins has had a good season and has only scored higher than the game V Geelong once in 2019.

Higgins doesn't have a defensive follower / tag every week. Making the point of putting a player on Higgins to curb his influence, yet he turns out being their best performer for the day? That's a failure in my book. Higgins isn't that good.

As I said, whether you look at this as a head to head, or Guthrie played a defensive role to curb Higgins? He failed either way.

Guthrie was quite poor on the weekend, back to his carefree self. The other games he's played this year he's been good.

So we're continuing to just name the oppositions most prolific players and ask why Guthrie didn't stop them despite barely playing on them? So same with blaming Guthrie for Henderson's 1st quarter against the Hawks despite him not being his man for any on that time.

The fact is he didn't play on Higgins for more than about 10% game time. The midfielders all rotated on one another. Nobody was matched up on any single player for most of the game. Higgins was against Kelly for decent portions, Duncan at times, Dangerfield at times and Guthrie at times. Higgins was solid but not spectacular and Guthrie wasn't on him for most of the game. Yet apparently now we're judging Guthrie for not stopping Higgins. This thread gets more insane by the day.

2019 averages the writings on the wall for Cam, 6 games v 145.

Player Statistics Comparison​

Name​

Team​

Defender​

Position​

Midfield​

Career Games​

6​

Calder Cannons​

Origin​

Sandringham Dragons​

August 19, 1992​

Date of Birth​

May 18, 1999​

26yr 8mth​

Age​

19yr 11mth​

187cm​

Height​

191cm

86kg​

Weight​

86kg​

Last Drafted In​

Round 1, Pick #23​

Last Draft Position​

Round 2, Pick #36​

Last Drafted By​

2019​

Stats for Season​

2019​

4​

Games​

9.2​

Kicks​

13.0​

Handballs​

13.0​

22.2​

Disposals​

4.0​

Marks​

0.2​

Goals​

0​

Behinds​

Tackles​

3.3​

0​

Hitouts​

0​

Inside 50s​

1.2​

Goal Assists​

0.3​

0.2​

Frees For​

Frees Against​

0.2​

Contested Possessions​

8.2​

12.5​

Uncontested Possessions​

15.5​

Effective Disposals​

69.8%

Disposal Efficiency %​

69%​

Clangers​

2.3​

0​

Contested Marks​

0​

0.2​

Marks Inside 50​

Clearances​

3.0​

1.2​

Rebound 50s​

One Percenters​

0.3​

0​

Bounces​

0​

Time On Ground %​

69.2​

Centre Clearances​

0.5​

2.2​

Stoppage Clearances​

3.8​

Score Involvements​

147.8​

Metres Gained​

2.2​

Turnovers​

1.5​

Intercepts​

Tackles Inside 50​

0.2​

$541,000

AFL Fantasy Price​

$496,000​

AFL Fantasy Score​

90.0​

$395,700

Supercoach Price​

$326,000​

Supercoach Score​

83.2​

The fact is he didn't play on Higgins for more than about 10% game time.

That a fact is it? I don't know for sure how much, but whenever I saw Cam in the middle, he was standing next to Higgins, which if you had a defensive mid, is what you would do. I know Cam wasn't always in there though. Either way, Cam was probably the worst of our mids on the day.

2019 averages the writings on the wall for Cam, 6 games v 145.

Been on the wall for a while... Your stats are very telling, very telling indeed.

Metres Gained
Guthrie - 147.8
Constable - 235.0

Wow, and I thought Guthrie's strength was his creativity as a mid, no? The above stat is with Constable averaging just 1 more disposal than Cam. Cam is not a good contested player, not physical at all. Not a great tackler...

Considering this, the stat above speaks of Guthrie's lack of effectiveness. And as I've said time and time again, he just has no real strengths to speak of, he's just bog average (at best) in every measure.

I fail to see how anyone could push an argument to play Cam over Constable now. Playing Guthrie represents the GFC treading water. How good could Constable be? The more midfield experience he gets, the faster we find out. We know what Guthrie is isn't capable of, 150 games in that won't change.

That a fact is it? I don't know for sure how much, but whenever I saw Cam in the middle, he was standing next to Higgins, which if you had a defensive mid, is what you would do. I know Cam wasn't always in there though. Either way, Cam was probably the worst of our mids on the day.

Been on the wall for a while... Your stats are very telling, very telling indeed.

Wow, and I thought Guthrie's strength was his creativity as a mid, no? The above stat is with Constable averaging just 1 more disposal than Cam. Cam is not a good contested player, not physical at all. Not a great tackler...

Considering this, the stat above speaks of Guthrie's lack of effectiveness. And as I've said time and time again, he just has no real strengths to speak of, he's just bog average (at best) in every measure.

I fail to see how anyone could push an argument to play Cam over Constable now. Playing Guthrie represents the GFC treading water. How good could Constable be? The more midfield experience he gets, the faster we find out. We know what Guthrie is isn't capable of, 150 games in that won't change.
You don’t get metres gained when you kick backwards and sideways. Like he often does.

That a fact is it? I don't know for sure how much, but whenever I saw Cam in the middle, he was standing next to Higgins, which if you had a defensive mid, is what you would do.

I think you might need to drop in on your optometrist. I just went through the first quarter and they weren't lined up on each other at any of the 5 bounces. Previously I looked at 6 centre bounces in the 3rd quarter when we were being chased down and they were against each other 1 of those 6. So far it's at 1 out of 11 centre bounces. So yeah I'd say about 10% of game time and clearly not a direct match up.

You can pontificate all you like, but those who actually KNOW what's best for our team disagree with you.And results over the past 9 years suggest they are on a good thing.

Currently the leading player at Geelong in tackles per game and top 10 in the competition. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though.

Numbers don't indicate effectiveness. Those are almost all when he's trailing an opponent, tight, in a stoppage, as we're told 'he's a defensive mid'. He's a soft tackler, his chasing is awful, his willingness to hit a running player hard (to tackle) is poor.

Dahlhaus, Rohan, Atkins... these are the guys who hit hard, who run hard to make tackles, who have changed the look of the side and given us the hard edge we needed! Guthire's numbers are better, they need to be, he knows it.

Pick a stat, fine. We've seen how effective overall he isn't compared with a 6 gamer, or any of our other mids. He's consistently been our worst mid since the day he went in there. That's the truth.

You can pontificate all you like, but those who actually KNOW what's best for our team disagree with you.And results over the past 9 years suggest they are on a good thing.

Geelong's results over the last 9 years have me wondering how a player at such a club who wins so much, playing midfield for much of that time, has only been able to put together 9 Brownlow votes in nearly 150 games? The guy hasn't even polled at all in nearly 3 years, the prime of his career... ? This is seriously unheard of... It's proof of how instrumental he isn't, and how much of a passenger he is. He's a special player, that's for sure. Very special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back