Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unrelated but there was a deliberate out of bounds paid on the weekend, and Eleni tells the Freo player to stand the mark on the boundary line. Player still hasn't moved after second instruction, but is allowed to run at the kicker once play on is called.

Umpires need to be directed to get control back of the game and to simply adjudicate the rules, not educate.

How hard is it to send out a memo - if deliberate out of bounds/out on full, mark is on the line. You have a mark/free kick in play, play on will be called after x time. When standing the mark, move to where umpire directs and/or stand etc.

No 'on the line x3', 'move it onPLAY ON!!', 'back 1 metre, PATRICK, BACK 1 METRE. PATRICK. Thank you', 'STAND. STAND. STAND'.

If they don't, pay 50.

Gone to an intolerable level this year with the ridiculous 'stand' instruction being shouted continously. This on top of 'nominate', 'let him up', 'don't move until I call play on', 'don't hold him', 'you can't deviate off your line ok', 'play on PLAY ON PLAY ON'

Anyway that's my gripe for this week.

My tin hat theory at the moment is they call play on far quicker for players in the back half as opposed to the forward half.

Call me crazy, I know I am 😎

Nathan-Williamson2.jpg
He looks like he's part of a teenage boy band...

This is left field and exploratory in nature.

But what of Newman on a wing when he comes back..

Thumping kick. Good at goals running through fifty and a hard but competitor.
I’m not entirely sure of his running capacity but I’m shooting the wind here.
I don’t think we could fit him in down back if the sps experiment continues.
I've no idea if his running capacity is good enough to be completely honest. The biggest issue I have with Newman in general is that he runs under the ball in aerial contests a lot or leaves his man out the back and fails to impact the contest he left his man for and he's not fast enough to recover the lost ground. That doesn't seem such an issue on the wing so it could be a reasonable place to try him - fitness permitting. He certainly tackles and is not bad at the physical stuff.

I've no idea if his running capacity is good enough to be completely honest. The biggest issue I have with Newman in general is that he runs under the ball in aerial contests a lot or leaves his man out the back and fails to impact the contest he left his man for and he's not fast enough to recover the lost ground. That doesn't seem such an issue on the wing so it could be a reasonable place to try him - fitness permitting. He certainly tackles and is not bad at the physical stuff.

Agree that it’d be a learning curve for him. A big one most probably. I’m just thinking of that we get it to him centre wing he has a thumping kick to get it deep inside 50. Could get back and be defensive too.

Agree that it’d be a learning curve for him. A big one most probably. I’m just thinking of that we get it to him centre wing he has a thumping kick to get it deep inside 50. Could get back and be defensive too.
I think Cotters showed how valuable it is to have wingmen that can out run their opponents. His ability to get back to help defenders meant we had an extra man at the drop of one on ones so many times. Often he was just at the side of the screen giving defenders an option they didn't take, but allowed them to take a better one.

We don't need to go to a slow alternative

I think Cotters showed how valuable it is to have wingmen that can out run their opponents. His ability to get back to help defenders meant we had an extra man at the drop of one on ones so many times. Often he was just at the side of the screen giving defenders an option they didn't take, but allowed them to take a better one.

We don't need to go to a slow alternative
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the idea of Newman on a wing in 2021.

Just went through the final VFL lists for season 2021. There is quite a Carlton flavour across the comp.
Ben Silvagni, Finbar O'Dwyer, Sunny Brazier (NGA), Oskar Manton & Kye Quirk have all popped up at the Northern Bullants.

Josh DeLuca has found his way to Box Hill.

JGM is still on the Footscray list.

Darcy Lang has ventured back down the highway to the Cattery.

Patrick Kerr is now at the Borough.

Tom Fields is still kicking bombs at Southport & has been joined at the Sharks by Billy Gowers.

Matthew Lobbe will be running out at Chirnside Park with Werribee. Young Archi Manton has also turned up at the 'Bees.

Just went through the final VFL lists for season 2021. There is quite a Carlton flavour across the comp.
Ben Silvagni, Finbar O'Dwyer, Sunny Brazier (NGA), Oskar Manton & Kye Quirk have all popped up at the Northern Bullants.

Josh DeLuca has found his way to Box Hill.

JGM is still on the Footscray list.

Darcy Lang has ventured back down the highway to the Cattery.

Patrick Kerr is now at the Borough.

Tom Fields is still kicking bombs at Southport & has been joined at the Sharks by Billy Gowers.

Matthew Lobbe will be running out at Chirnside Park with Werribee. Young Archi Manton has also turned up at the 'Bees.

Harrison Macreadie and Cam Polson are both playing at Williamstown as well

This is left field and exploratory in nature.

But what of Newman on a wing when he comes back..

Thumping kick. Good at goals running through fifty and a hard but competitor.
I’m not entirely sure of his running capacity but I’m shooting the wind here.
I don’t think we could fit him in down back if the sps experiment continues.
I've got a crazier idea. How about when Newman comes back, we play him in the position he excelled at before getting injured, and release SPS back into a mid/HFF role and let that push someone like Murphy out of the side?

I've got a crazier idea. How about when Newman comes back, we play him in the position he excelled at before getting injured, and release SPS back into a mid/HFF role and let that push someone like Murphy out of the side?
Madness! Sounds good to me.

I did alude to it being a possibility only if they want the sps experiment to continue.
I hope they move him up the grounds I think his apprentiship is done. How were is gliding fend offs! Too good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some fun facts for you all, 3 weeks into season 2021...

~ We rank 7th in the league for goals and 5th in the league for goal assists (clearly shows it's our defence which wasn't holding up in the first 2 rounds)

~ We are a dismal 17th in the league for tackles (bring the Freo intensity against GC!)

~ We are 1st in the league for clearances

~ Walsh is 4th in the league for disposals

~ Doc is 8th in the league for marks

~ Harry 3rd in the Coleman (averaging 4.33 gpg)

~ Fisher is second in the league for average goal assists

~ Cripps and Walsh, 7th and 11th respectively for contested possessions

~ Weiters ranks 1st in the league for spoils and one percenters

~ Walsh is 2nd in the league for effective disposals (a whopping 27 per game)

~ Williams and Cripps, 6th and 10th respectively for clearances

~ Weiters is 6th in the league for rebound 50s

~ Jones is 4th in the league for intercepts

Some fun facts for you all, 3 weeks into season 2021...

~ We rank 7th in the league for goals and 5th in the league for goal assists (clearly shows it's our defence which wasn't holding up in the first 2 rounds)

~ We are a dismal 17th in the league for tackles (bring the Freo intensity against GC!)

~ We are 1st in the league for clearances

~ Walsh is 4th in the league for disposals

~ Doc is 8th in the league for marks

~ Harry 3rd in the Coleman (averaging 4.33 gpg)

~ Fisher is second in the league for average goal assists

~ Cripps and Walsh, 7th and 11th respectively for contested possessions

~ Weiters ranks 1st in the league for spoils and one percenters

~ Walsh is 2nd in the league for effective disposals (a whopping 27 per game)

~ Williams and Cripps, 6th and 10th respectively for clearances

~ Weiters is 6th in the league for rebound 50s

~ Jones is 4th in the league for intercepts

Pretty sure something similar has already been posted.

Then there is this ...

I don't understand what this achieves.

Do people hear Lily of Laguna - lyrics and all - when they hear the Carlton theme song? Because I've never heard Lily of Laguna in its original form, and I don't think I ever will by choice.

I suppose my real question is, does bringing this specific thing to light and changing it improve the lives of people in contemporary Australia by any amount?

Activists, there are few who have a point but most of them are just people hell bent on destruction because it's destruction which gives their lives meaning and fulfilment (and in some cases but probably not so much this case, money and power) and that is what makes activists happy. It's not a good thing but the modern world forces people to accept this kind of thing because if someone is claiming political correctness then they automatically become immune to criticism and other views and have the freedom to commit acts of bullying.

Our song is not racist, Lily of Laguna was and our song is not Lily of Laguna, it's The Old Dark Navy Blues. It's the same tune however none of the lyrics are present. This is a classic example of destructive nonsensical activism, something the world could do without as it just inspires hate and segregation and for what, so someone can get what they want?

Something I've thought long and hard about it. It's certainly an issue.
See, I'd thought about editing my post, to include the sentence that the final question was a sincere question, so I'll put it to you.

Who is this helping in contemporary Australia? How many people would be aware of the original lyrics to Lily of Laguna without Steve Hagan telling them first?

And if the past is racist, is ignoring it or pretending it didn't happen the right thing to do?

I spoke to someone recently whose stand was that we are actually tampering with history and not allowing past indescretions to teach us today when we sanitize things retrospectively. This of course suits my purpose as far as loving my club's song goes. Just because people aren't aware of historic ugliness doesn't mean it needs stay that way though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back